Author Topic: Question about poo/food intake  (Read 1334 times)

Offline *Nicola*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 429
Question about poo/food intake
« on: June 09, 2008, 13:41:13 pm »
Hiya girls

Just wanted a bit of advice ...

Callie has been having some really runny, almost watery nappies that can be a dark green or yellow colour.  Really smelly.  Sometimes we get about 4 a day.

Don't remember this with Ciara at all, plus Callie is BLW so having different foods than Ciara at a similar age.

She does like bread/bready products and eats a fair amount.  I am wondering if it is either too heavy on her tummy or she is maybe intolerant.  I am planning on cutting it out for a bit to see if there is any difference.

So

1) how long should I eliminate it for
2) do the nappies sound out of the ordinary
3) anyone had anything similar?

TIA xx
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Question about poo/food intake
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 00:03:38 am »
Hey there.  Okay so what type of bread are you giving her?  Also am I thinking right, Are you having to avoid milk with her for some reason?  Could be wrong.

If it is just a normal bread or even a whole wheat bread, it is not recommened to have wheat until age 1 due to the risk of allergies.

Also, I doubt this is the case, But runny, really really stinky  bowel movements can be the first sign of celiac disease.  That just came to mind because you mentioned she is having a lot of bread products now and of course that is wheat/gluten.

Does she seem like she is in any discomfort at all?  The color would not worry me to much, because with solids there is no telling what color it will be. 

I think you are doing the right thing by just taking it out of her diet for now.  I would give it 2 weeks before you make any decision on rather or not to add it back into her diet. 

If her gut is damaged any by it, it can take that long to heal.

P.S:  Try a course of probiotics since she has had such bad diaherra.  The probiotics will add the good bacteria back into her gut.  If you need any recommendations, let me know.  I know the BioGaia probiotic drops are a great strand.

Hope this helps, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline *Nicola*

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 14:16:27 pm »
Thanks Wendy :)

I haven't given any bread since Sunday and she has poo'd once each day and it has been a more solid consistency. 

I am def suspecting bread now so will hold off for a while and see what happens.

Ciara is type 1 diabetic and there is a strong link with CD so I am aware of that but hoping like mad it is not the case.
xx

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 03:29:57 am »
Oh wow, I did not know your lo was diabetic. 

I am glad she is doing better.  I really hope it is not CD.  I would try again maybe after age 1 and if you get the same thing happening, then i would test for CD. 

Hugs, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline *Nicola*

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 20:27:22 pm »
:-* Thanks Wendy.

Are we supposed to avoid wheat until 1 year?  I thought it was ok after 6 months?

If there is some sort of intolerance to wheat/gluten can it clear up of it's own accord?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 20:29:38 pm by *Nicola* »

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 02:55:53 am »
They recommend avoiding wheat until 1 year because of the high risk of an allergy.  I think if there is no family history of an wheat allergy than it is okay after 6 months.

If she has CD that is a lifetime disease, she will always have an intolerance. 

If it is an allergy or just an intolerance (not CD), than yes at some point she may be able to handle it just fine.  Just like with a milk allergy, lo's can grow out of it.

Sounds like an intolerance to me. How does she react to oats and barley?  I know when you have CD, you need to avoid all gluten containing products.  Gluten is in hairsprays, medicines, you name it.

Has her poop gotten back to normal now since no breads??

Wendy -

Offline *Nicola*

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 09:20:32 am »
Well ...

we had no bread products at all for about 3 days.  Then she had some wholemeal pitta with no issues.  Then 2 days after some white bread and she had a 2 dirty nappies in one day (as opposed to the 1 she had been having), and both were runnier than usual.

But ... she had also had yoghurt that day which she hadn't had for a long time and which I suspected gave her runny nappies before!! So ... I am not giving both at the same time and am going to see what happens when I give each separately.  I will then contact HV and GP if I think it is a bread/wheat/gluten issue.

I have chatted to mums on my diabetes support group as lots of them have children with CD.  It really is such a very big challenge living with diabetes, it would kill me if we were also living with CD :(  Fingers crossed

Thanks so much for your help ... I will keep you updated x