Author Topic: sensitivity to foods  (Read 1401 times)

Offline {{{Angela}}}

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • pillowhead designs - hand embroidered goodies
sensitivity to foods
« on: June 25, 2008, 01:48:12 am »
Zinnia is 8 months old (today! wow!) and she's been eating solids since 5.5 months.  I think she may be sensitive to certain foods, so I'd like some input on her reaction to them. 

Wheat? - I gave her one Farley's rusk each day for two days in a row.  It was the first time she'd had wheat (along with all the other stuff in the rusks).  Those two nights, she was awake a lot at night, crying and would not calm down even when being held in our arms.  It would take an hour or more each time to settle her down and she woke 2-3 times a night.  :o

Corn - I had given her small amounts of creamed corn from one brand and she ate it but did not really like it.  I switched brands and she *did* like it and ate a good amount.  That night, she had the same sort of night as I described for the wheat.

Blueberries - I gave her blueberries today for the first time and it seems like our night is turning out the same.  She woke up an hour into bedtime unable to get back to sleep.  After she finally fell asleep in DH's arms, she woke up hysterical 30 minutes later.

I know sometimes she is OT and usually she'll wake an hour into bedtime...but she'll settle easily.  This is different...she's very difficult to calm down.

What do you think?  Does it sound like an allergy or sensitivity?  Dare I try reintroducing these foods...or should I wait until she is much older (like 12 months?)
Angela
mommy to Xavier and Zinnia

hand embroidered goodness at http://pillowhead.etsy.com

Offline {{{Angela}}}

Re: sensitivity to foods
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:57:57 am »
DOH!  I must be blind...I didn't even see the Food Allergies board.  Please move me, moderators. :) :)  Sorry!
Angela

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 22:35:21 pm »
Hi there:

Hummm sounds like it deft. could be and wheat and corn are high allergen foods.  Blueberries I don't think are that high allergenic, but causes problems here.

My rule of thumb is:  If it causes sleep, mood, or gas problems, I take away the food.

Sometime though it is so hard to know because it could be teething or anything.

If she is sleeping good on nights these foods are not introduced, then I would say that she could have an allergy or more than likely a sensitivity.

Personally I would not even corn because it has very little nutrients in it anyhow, so you don't have to worry there.

The wheat though, gosh it is in everything.  Good it be anything else in there she was reacting to? 

My experience with blueberries have not been good.  It caused lots of gas and night wakings.  Or it could have been the apples...  But we avoid both anyhow.

I think I would not give the actual corn anymore, maybe try another food with wheat in it and see how it goes.  Not sure about the blueberries, I may would wait on them too.

It is so hard, because I feel like my lo's diet is so limited.  No milk, apples, strawberries, oats, blueberries, nothing with any spices/flavor..  Gosh he lives on pears, squash and rice cereal it seems like.

I hope this helps some.

Hugs, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline {{{Angela}}}

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 02:19:02 am »
Thanks Wendy...I tried blueberries again today - it's actually a jar of apple/blueberry mix.  She loves it, but we are getting a similar reaction tonight... awake for a long time after bedtime, crying, gas.  It's so hard to tell b/c she's OT today too, short naps and long A time before bed.

She had a slight fever today... not sure if it's food related but her big brother is also sick with a much higher fever.  That could also cause her weird behaviour.

I won't give her blueberries tomorrow and see what happens.

Is your LO allergic to wheat?
Angela

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:30:23 am »
That is funny, that is what I gave Tyler the other day, a jar of blueberries and apples and it caused night wakings with lots of gas. 

I *think* he is okay with wheat, but deft. not oats.  He breaks out in a really bad rash on his face with oats, yet he tested negative at the allergist.

I know we have to avoid all milk with him, any kind at all.  He had a cracker today that had milk as one of the ingredients and he woke up tonight with gas.

Thank goodness for those gas drops. I thought those days were over though.

The weird behavior could also be her getting sick.  We have all been sick here for 6 weeks now. 

Had you given her apples before? 
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline {{{Angela}}}

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 02:01:49 am »
Yep, she's had apples before with no problem.  I think what I thought was the blueberries was actually teething because I can see something on her gums now.  But the wheat and corn I still think is a sensitivity or allergy.  It sucks because I wanted to try giving her some bread, but I did find some brown rice bread at the grocery store...it has some other stuff in it, like xanthan gum (???) so I'm not sure...  I bought a loaf anyway. :)
Angela

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 15:54:22 pm »
I think xantham gum is fine.  It is just used to "mold" the bread. 

I would try it and see how it goes.
Wendy -

Offline {{{Angela}}}

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 14:24:17 pm »
Thanks Wendy. :)  I haven't tried the bread yet, but we've had similar sleep disruptions the last two nights; I introduced chicken, it's her first meat.  She's still teething too, one has popped through and the other is still under the gums.  I know they could be bothering her, but we give her all the pain relief meds she can have and still she is awake for 1-2h each night.  Has your little guys had meat yet?
Angela

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 19:56:09 pm »
Hi there.  Tyler has had chicken, but something has been causing major constipation issues the past week and that is when I started actual chicken.  He seems okay with jar chicken.

I think though it was the little bit of milk in the breading of the chicken that is caused problems.

How are things going?

Wendy -