Author Topic: How did you teach your LO to swim?  (Read 6735 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: How did you teach your LO to swim?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 11:25:43 am »
Thanks! Definitely think will try the goggles - just need to find time to buy a pair. Should I wait for her first swim lesson until I get them? I can schedule a private 1/2 lesson anytime we are at our beach club.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 11:29:02 am »
I would try the lesson with out first time.  Try them just with you if you can.  Like Aidliz (great news BTW about Aiden) Nello is not a fan of the goggles. He likes them in theory just like safety glasses, sunglasses and hats.  They are worn for about 2 min before his spirited self realises that they annoy him. LOL!

A x

Offline aidliz

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 03:25:17 am »
Hip..hip..horray!!!

Thanks for the advice on the swimmies...today Aidan ventured into the deep end with me and his swimmies.  He swam all by himself.  I am so proud of him!!!  I had to drag him out of the water after about 2 hours.  Yesterday we went to a pool where swimmies arent allowed,  he willingly went in the deep end with me but clung on for dear life.  It was so nice, he isnt the greatest hugger...so I got a hug for about 15 minutes.  He is the best kisser though!

Offline Lissybits

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 04:21:36 am »
That's great news ;D Well done Aiden! 8) ;D And yah for the free cuddle ;)
Lis :-*

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 13:44:15 pm »
 ;D :-*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 01:40:31 am »
Still slow going here. She's not too thrilled with the goggles. She does like her swimmies but still wants to cling to me, even with them on. And she definitely likes the pool just SUPER cautious. Any thoughts?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline aidliz

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 01:58:54 am »
Aidan is a super cautious child with everything...With the pool if he knows he can touch he is fine, if not he wont go in, or will hang out on the steps or cling to the side.  Can she touch and if so does she know she can touch where you go swimming?  Elizabeth will also be 3 in august and she is more tollerate to the water.  She uses swimmies and a tube and she just floats around and  feels safe. 

Marisa sounds a little like Aidan as they are both cautious with pools but at the same time loves them.  In my experience with him it is best to take baby steps and mabe not focus so much on her swimming or putting her head under but getting her to feel comfortable with the water.  He is 5 and all his friends are swimming,  i know this most likely wont happen with him untill next summer.  When he was 3 he wouldnt even go away from the steps.  It is frustrating but take it slow.  He was in swimming lessons this summer but I took him out, (which I usually would never do) but he was scared and anxious everytime he went and I didnt want to tramatize him so we will try again next year.

I see you live in brooklyn, I live in orange county...newburgh and my sisters boyfriend lives in brooklyn.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:15:14 am by aidliz »

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2008, 12:23:50 pm »
She can touch in the children's pool which is only 1.5 feet deep throughout. But even there she wants to stay along the sides or even more so at/on the ladder. In the big pool the shallow end is three feet so she can't quite reach and then wants to stay on the stairs or cling to me. She does sound like Aiden that way so will do like you are and ust take it slow. Come visit us in Brooklyn this summer!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2008, 12:50:23 pm »
So totally am sad. DD was doing relatively well with pool. Still cautious but would swim a bit with arm bands as long as I still had at least one hand on her (like lightly on her belly). Would also go in a float as long as we lightly held onto her. And was enjoying going in the pool at camp and at beach club. But about a week ago at beach club she mistakenly went a bit under water - she was practicing blowing bubbles and got too much of her head in and totally freaked out.

Now she doesn't want anything to do with the pool and only wants the baby pool at most. It's even affecting camp -she'll say she doesn't want to go (she goes two mornings a week) even though she LOVES it - but it's only because she doesn't want to swim/go in pool - and of course they don't make her. We tried getting her a swim vest for the beach club because lots of other kids have them. She was excited but then still terrified and wouldn't go in - just wants us to totally hold her or sit on stairs.

It's making DH and I sad - we really want her to like swimming and be able to have fun in situations like camp and beach club. Some of my best memories from being little are of swimming. Meanwhile, DH is still scared to get his head under water and those fears affected him growing up - he never was able to enjoy certain parties or situations and he feels sad that she might miss out on those things too.

Any advice for easing her back into enjoying the pool and eventually progressing?

Offline aidliz

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 18:32:43 pm »
Hello, well Aidan just turned 5 and at Marisas age he would do the same thing.  He spent the whole day sitting on the steps or hanging on the side.  I would just leave her be, it is a fear and by pushing them they might become more affraid of the water.  At 5 he just this year, well in the past month started to try and swim and will go in the deep end by himself with swimmies.  He, as marisa is is a cautious child, she will do it on her own.  It is very frustrating because swimming is so fun.  She is very young just keep taking her to the pool and letting her do her own thing.

Offline waffler

• Showing Appreciation 10
  • Mummy get Nemo off me!
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 04:25:32 am »
Mira has been going for swimming lessons since she was 1. here in Singapore the instructors are alll AusSwim too. It's so gradual, the way they teach. and it's all about repetition. Mira is happy jumping into a big pool, she can go under and kicks hard to get to us, she can probably swim a meter which is huge progress.

Marissa's mama  - your daugher is still very young I'd be wary of putting too much pressure on her. The more she senses you being sad (as you put it) and the more upset you get because she won't let go of you, the more she's going to dread swimming because mummy gets sad. So I'd really give it a rest for a bit, go back to just having fun in the water. And when she sees how fun it is and how happy mummy and daddy are, she will feel less pressured. I have no doubt that she will be swimming like a fish one day, but you don't want to instill any fears in her now as it will take longer to break as she gets older. Just make swimming fun. Bring in loads of toys, like rubber toys that can squirt water. Teach her to blow bubbles, she'll find it funny. And, one thing they teach Mira is "monkey hands". This is where they hold on to the side, and will hand walk over to the ladder. You can put a toy she likes about a meter away, and assist her in monkey walking to the toy. Mira now does the whole pool by herself and she's so speedy. I really truly believe that it's all about fun - and of course safety. But a kid needs to feel safe and happy in the pool. HTH
Dad/Husband : Matt
Mum/Wife : (Ali)
Daugher : Mira (28th March 2006)
Daughter : Lara (31 July 2009)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2008, 00:46:11 am »
Thanks. We are trying that -  not putting any pressure on her, etc - but we just can't get her in the "big" pool at all. We've bought her a life vest, some swimming toys, etc but she just refuses to go in the big pool - even if I promise to hold her the whole time. Which stinks because she had been doing relatively well (for her) with the big pool before going mistakenly under a couple of weeks ago. Even with the kiddie pool which is only 1.5 feet deep throughout, she's VERY hesitant and will only go in if she can hold onto the wall the whole time. Ideas? Bribe with ice cream? Other toys that would help?

Offline waffler

• Showing Appreciation 10
  • Mummy get Nemo off me!
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 05:10:51 am »
Karen - how about not taking her swimming for a bit? Then, in a couple of months (or however long) then how about (if it's safe) you go in pool with DH or friends in shallow end and dont put any pressure on her at all, don't even ask her if she wants to come in, and just see what happens? If she doesn't take - then leave it another day. have  fun in there, splash about, take some toys in , and if she wants to just sit on the edge with feet in water then start with that.... maybe with time her fear will subside and she'll want to get in on her own. Then, it should all be great guns after that!

HTH!
Dad/Husband : Matt
Mum/Wife : (Ali)
Daugher : Mira (28th March 2006)
Daughter : Lara (31 July 2009)