Author Topic: In car dvds? Any good for long journeys?  (Read 17940 times)

em_here

Re: In car dvds? Any good for long journeys?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 07:30:20 am »
:) :) :) I third that Deb, and well anything that makes life easier is good for me ;) ;) ;) Valid point though Charmaine, Im glad though, we live in a era where we do have these fabulous things yay! xxx  Cant wait to get ours now after all the positive stories :)

Offline mari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 11:44:57 am »
Great, but ours has to compete with the sat nav as they both plug into the cigarette lighter.  We use it when we travel to France and it's very handy.

em_here

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 11:57:30 am »
OH NO!"!!!! Forgot bout the sat nav...................... The in car dvds dont all plug into the ciggie lighter do they?

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 12:23:23 pm »
ours had either plug in or use the battery but the batt only lasted about 2 - 2 1/2hrs max (some are longer and others shorter). you coudl do that for shorter trips and recharge the battery overnight at destination (not great for round trip in 1 day tho)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Duckie

• Showing Appreciation 183
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 12:38:35 pm »
Being devil's advocate here (and I know this isn't a debate) :P but what did they do before we had TVs in the car?

Tried to sleep while sharing the bench seat in the back w/ my brother, had endless rounds of "Foot Fight" which involved us kicking each other while trying to hit the other person's feet.  Invariably, I'd kick brother Duckie in the crotch, screaming and crying would ensue, plus the obligatory, "We're turning this car around" speech from my parents.  When we got older, I had my Walkman.
Mother Duck to A (June/01), J (April/06), my sleeping S (2/Dec/03) and my nameless angels (1/July/04; 2/Nov/04; 13/July/05)

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 12:39:42 pm »
i realize i'm chiming in here a bit late, but we just got back from a 3-week car trip journey, and we brought ours.  :)

this is the one we have:
http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Mobile-Players-Monitors-PVS297OS/dp/B0007X1KX6

we bought it a couple years ago (which is why it's out of stock now) when my ILs moved 12 hours away.  and we plan on using it for a LONG time.  both monitors can be plugged into the same movie (which is what we do now), but when they get older we can plug the monitors into 2 separate movies & they can then wear headphones (which we'll do when they're older)

and yes, since i do have friends who seem to use it even for 5-minute trips, we laid some ground rules with each other before we let the kids see it:

* we only use it on trips that are 3+ hours (so not used for grandma's house 2.5 hrs away, but used for nana's 12 hrs away)
* it's only used after lunch - this is how we made peace with ourselves about watching tv in the car.  

like deb said (& everyone echoed), we saw it as just another tool.  by limiting ourselves to after lunch, we were also trying to time it so that by the time the movie was over, we were at our destination (and yes, there are some days where we just watch one after another because of lousy traffic.  but those are few & far between.)  

after lunch is also when the kids were crankier from being in the car - in the morning when they were fresh, they were content to chat, color, read, and do whatever.  i had a box of books/toys inbetween their carseats, and they would rummage through until they found something they liked.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

lilmonkey

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2008, 15:24:53 pm »
Very timely thread.  We are thinking of doing a long car trip 10+ hrs next month and I intend to bring our portable dvd along.  We first used it on a plane ride 4+hrs a few years back and it was great.  We only bring it out as the last resort and dd understands this.  Ditto to what Deb and the others say as well, having it in the car is not going to ruin them for life if you set limits.

Regarding what to buy, try it out first by driving on a bumpy road.  We have a Panasonic and it is really good.  Even dd knows how to operate it now. 

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2008, 15:48:59 pm »
Being devil's advocate here (and I know this isn't a debate) :P but what did they do before we had TVs in the car?

Back in our day we used to argue about who got to sit in the front and if in the back used to look out the back windows and wave and see who'd wave back or shove our heads out of the window to feel the wind on our face - all enough to get a parent arrested nowadays lol! I have to say if I would of had to sit in a car seat strapped in I know I would have made a fuss, I always got travel sick and now Leorah does too but I don't know if it is a coincidence but she hasn't been sick since we had the dvd! On short trips we just listen to her CDs an dhave a sig a long, I can totally recommend Sesame Street Hot Hot HOt :o)
Katt

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2008, 16:42:50 pm »
The Snowman is good, no sound to distract the driver!!!