Author Topic: how much awake time for a newborn?  (Read 2098 times)

Offline nilly

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 05, 2008, 00:48:48 am »
i can't seem to remember how long a newborn can stay awake before they get into the overtired stage. i know to watch there cues, but it isn't so easy when you have a 20month old running around :) she is only5 days old, and we are trying to get her on EASY as she is sleeping more during the day than at night right now :(

thanks, nilly

carly-g

Re: how much awake time for a newborn?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 01:45:57 am »
If I remember correctly, DS was only up for about 45 minutes at that age.  So by the time he ate, burped, changed and spit up, it was time to take a nap!

Offline nilly

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 19:08:41 pm »
thanks so much, that gives me a good guidline.

nilly

Offline katemom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 20:56:42 pm »
Hi Nilly,

Wow, we are in the same boat!  I posted this question elsewhere already, but thought I'd chime in on your post as well.  I have a one week old boy, and a 20 month old daughter.  Maybe we can help each other out along the way!!!  I've found that anywhere from 30-60 minutes is what my lo can tolerate, but 45 minutes is a pretty good average.  Sometimes after waking up from a long and deep nap he can do a little longer, and other times, it's like I can't really even keep him up at all before he slips back asleep again.  But I think really encouraging at least a little awake time has been helpful, because our lo is sleeping pretty good at night now.  I didn't discover the baby whisperer until my older daughter was about 3 months old, so doing this with a newborn is new to me.  But things went so well with my 20 month old, and still is, that I am determined to do it again with this baby...

Anyway, congrats on your new lo...

photomommee

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
Re: how much awake time for a newborn?
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 21:03:04 pm »
congrats on your Lo :)

as far as I remember, it was wake up- nappy change- feed and burping- sometimes another nappy change ;) - a walk around the house and that was it. 30-40 minutes.
so I guess you are good :D

but remember- at newborn stage do not expect a real EASY, it usually takes them some 4 to 6 weeks to get into the routine.

good luck with your two LOs :)
m
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)