Poll

Where would be the best place to travel with a one year old?

Europe
0 (0%)
US/Canada
0 (0%)
Mexico/Caribbean
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Travelling with one year old - where?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline D-bot

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 09, 2008, 15:53:33 pm »
I would like to go somewhere with our one year old but I am unsure where to go. We would like to go to Europe and maybe join a cruise but the postings I have read seem like it is hard to travel to Europe especially if you have to bring a car seat, stroller, etc. I am scared and may just have to stick to somewhere close by. We don't really want to go to a beach resort and just lounge around. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
Re: Travelling with one year old - where?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 16:11:23 pm »
Where are you starting from????

Offline D-bot

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 16:14:00 pm »
Toronto, Canada

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 16:42:45 pm »
We've traveled to all 3 places with a 1 yr old.  All were absolutely fine.  What do you feel like doing?  I can elaborate more, have to run and make lunch.

A x

lilmonkey

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 17:02:51 pm »
We are going to Florida in Aug staying on the beach.  I know what you mean about just lounging by the beach all the time if that is not your thing.  However, dd likes the beach so we will have day excursions every other day.  One thing I suggest is to get a suite if you can afford it.  We have travel with the kids before and found that it gives dh and I a break at night when the kids are asleep and we can still enjoy the evening without worrying about waking them up from our noise.

Where you want to go really depends on your budget and how well you think your lo will handle the flight and the length of your vacation.  If you only have a week or so, then I would stick to within a couple of timezone difference.

Gotta go now.  the bosses are calling.

lilmonkey

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 17:24:25 pm »
Here's a great site to research practically anything from flights to accommodations to vacation destinations.  I like this site b/c travellers from all over the world gives their opinions on what to do and what to avoid in the forum.  I actually booked our vacation to Florida based on the info gleaned from the site.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 17:54:08 pm »
Mexico:  We did the all inclusive thing in the Mayan Rivera. It was fab.  The buffet meals at all hours and able to pack lunches for excursions suited us well with our LO.  We didn't do a lot except, eat, sleep, beach, pool and play.  It was a great holiday in the month of Feb to return to cold, snowy Toronto after! We only brought his Maclaren pushchair and sand toys. The flight was only 3.5 hours so very good.  I was still BF'ing so that was good as well. DH and I took turns with the nap.  Some days DH stayed inside and read whilst DS was sleeping and I woudl go and just lay on a lounge chair and enjoy 2 hours to myself having a Margarita. The other days I joined DS for the nap. We booked our seats with DH in the aisle and me at the window and hoped the plane wasn't full so no one would be in the middle seat.  It worked out.  So other than take off and landing, DS had a seat to himself. He had an 1.5 hour nap in the seat. He was walking at 10 months.  So DH and I took turns on the plane playing with him in the seat with toys, stickers etc...and letting him go for a walk.  At one point a lady (a vacationing nanny) and her DH asked if he could stay and play with them for a bit.  SO of course we said yes!  DS played at their seat and DH and I just sat in peace for 15 min. The taxi ride/shuttle from the Cancun airport was under an hour.  He sat on my lap with the seat belt on us both and fell asleep for about 40 mins. They had milk and loads of food at our resort.  I only brought stuff for the plane to snack on. We brought enough diapers/nappies with us.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina: Fantastic holiday.  We drove 14 hours with my Mum and Dad in our 4x4.  I only brought his beach toys, books etc... We were staying in a condo on the beach with a full kitchen.  I hate staying in hotels and only relying on restaurant food. I enjoy to cook, so that helps. We bought all food etc there.  I sang songs and played loads of activities with my DS on the way with DH and my Dad sharing the drive. Slept and ate throughout the journey in the car. We stopped for one meal at a fast food join on the way there. We left at 6 am both times. Again just brought the small stroller. We beached it and swam most days.  My Mum and I shopped every evening and DH and my Dad took care of DS at night.  One night DH and I went out and my parents took care of DS.

London, England and Glasgow, Scotland: we live in North London for almost 7 years and have a flat there, so we had everything we needed as far as kitchen etc.... We took trains, tube (underground/subway/metro depending where you live and what you call it!) cabs and buses everywhere. We shopped, went to the parks and pubs and visited friends. We could put our roll on our buggy/stroller/pushchair right on a London black cab and that was his seat. We took the train to Glasgow to visit family and stayed in a hotel for 2 nights. On the plane going to UK is an overnight flight so DS slept the whole time.  We did the same with the booking of the window and aisle seat and no one was in the middles seat, so we could put him there when not on our lap, really helped.

Yes it is more work travelling with a LO but so is everything now. We have no regrets, just good memories and didn't have any troubles.  I must stress that if I had to stay in a hotel with no kitchen, I don't think I would of liked it as much. I can take restaurants only so may times especially with kids.

We never brought our car seat on journeys when we flew.

Ask any other questions if you like.

lilmonkey

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 21:50:23 pm »
Could not agree more about the getting a condo with a full kitchen or a kitchenette.  I had to really pressure dh's cousin (our travelling companion to Florida) to NOT book a hotel.  With 3 kids (his included), I don't think that dining out for every meal is an experience I want to look forward too.  Even if you don't cook, then at least you can have a more relaxed meal in the condo with take outs or delivery.

Whereever you decide to go, just relax and enjoy.  DOn't worry about messing up the routine or some APing to get your lo to sleep.

Offline Ryan&HollysMom

• Claudia-German married to Canadian
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • halloween 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 18:18:47 pm »
we've taken trips to the alps and carried lo in a backpack and let him walk at times, did smaller hikes. been to nova scotia when he was 15 months and did different stuff every day, sometimes beach, other days hikes, sightseeing... also went to vancouver, lots of stuff to do (shopping, sightseeing, boatrides, can go to whistler or other destinations for hiking)
we would also recommend staying in a condo, having a fridge and a stove is priceless, always got milk and such on hand. we usually  cook about half the time (stick to simple things like pasta) or get pizza or takeout.
travelling is definitely more involved with a little one, but we love to go explore different places and want to instill that love in him too. so far it's paid off...
good luck!
aisling: where exactly did you go in mexico? we're planning on going there in the winter and would love some advice?
Claudia-German married to Canadian

and our angel, 10 weeks, 11/19/08

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 20:34:27 pm »
Claudia we went to Xcaret, it was so amazing.  The hotel is attached to the Xcaret National nature park.

http://www.xcaret.com/

Our hotel:
http://www.occidentalhotels.com/grand/Xcaret.asp

Offline D-bot

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 01:29:55 am »
Thanks for all your input. Are you allowed to travel in Europe without a car seat if you take a taxi?

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 11:45:34 am »
Not sure all of Europe, but London and Paris do not require one.

Offline Ryan&HollysMom

• Claudia-German married to Canadian
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • halloween 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 00:33:29 am »
the carseat things scares the h... out of me, considering how fast they drive there...
Claudia-German married to Canadian

and our angel, 10 weeks, 11/19/08

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 01:39:44 am »
you can go anywhere with a child - think about the fact that locals have kids too so with some research you can always find what you need.  i second the mention of tripadvisor.com i go there for any trip whether domestic or international - they have a forum where locals in every city are giving tips and inside info. so if you need to know a babysitting service or where to hire gear or what kid friendly outings there are they will know it and give you the scoop.

when alex was 10 1/2 - 12 mo we did a 6 week round the world trip to NY, Uk (london, south england, wales) and Bangkok.  we always found things to do, food for her, etc and apart from having her witrh no car seat in cabs in bangkok we managed transport fine too (just had a maclaren lightweight stroller).
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified