Author Topic: feeling very very depressed about sleep training  (Read 896 times)

Offline verytired

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
feeling very very depressed about sleep training
« on: July 10, 2008, 14:33:35 pm »
ok so I just need to vent because nothing I do seems to work with my 11 mo SPIRITED DS.

Well actually that is not true - I manage to get him to sleep on his own for maybe 2/3 days in a row and then we are back to sleep training because of illness/milestones/travel/daycare/.... - I am just feeling so tired and frustrated - and also, DS has never slept through the night - he occasionally sleeps from 10p to 4/5a but this happens about once a month .

WHY ME??? I completely underestimated this. And it does not help that everyone keeps asking me "You are still sleep training?" - I know it seems ridiculous but I have been sleep training DS for about 9 months now . There are good patches and then bad patches but lately the bad patches seem to be winning . AAAAHHHH.

Ok thats it - maybe after I calm down a bit I wll try to post our schedule / routine etc and look for some advice but we got up at 5:30am today and I had to be at work at 7am so I am just upset.

Offline sbchic1999

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Re: feeling very very depressed about sleep training
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 15:25:35 pm »
Sorry!!!!  Hugs to you.  I too have a spirited DS and it is a long road with him, that's for sure (he is 10.5 months now).  Have you beed doing BW the entire time you have been sleep training him?  Are you breast feeding or bottle feeding.  My DS still wakes up several times throughout the night but we have been able to cut the night feedings out (he was eating 3 times a night until about a month ago) and he still fusses but we can just go in, lay him back down and pat his little butt for aminute or two and he is back asleep.  We had 3 or 4 rought nights of PU/PD though.  When you get a chance please give more info.

Hang in there!!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 20:40:20 pm »
My DS is spirited too :)  It really is a whole different ballgame with them, with most everything.
For us, less is more. We have never done much of a winddown at all because all it did was wind him UP. PU/PD was a joke, but a modified pat/shhh worked well. And until just recently he slept with a burp cloth over his eyes.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline verytired

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 21:24:53 pm »
hi again,

thank you for your support - sometimes it is good to know I am not the only one with these problems

things are going better now - DS is back to sleeping by himself in his crib since yesterday morning (right after I had my breakdown :-) ) And he got up at 8 am today. Sometimes I wonder if he knows that I have reached the end of the rope !! Also, he took his first steps yesterday - so maybe the past week's craziness was just a milestone thing?

sbchic1999 - I am still breastfeeding although DS gets the occasional bottle of formula at the day care. I have resigned myself to feeding him twice at night until he decides otherwise. DH has offered to give DS a bottle during the nights on weekends so that I get a break.

Colin Mac's Mom - I know what you mean about the winddown - DS just keeps going until he drops - there is no concept of winddown/quiet time with him - he is like the energizer bunny in the TV ad.
 I would love for him to have a security blanket but instead he has choosen a big stuffed toy (a raccoon) as his crib toy and he will not sleep without it. Unfortunately it is almost half his size so he cannot sleep on it/put it over his face. Instead he just lies next to it. I know he would sleep better with something to cover his face because he is so easily distracted but I am not sure if i want to try and replace the raccoon!

Thanks a lot

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 21:42:19 pm »
Quote from: verytired
Colin Mac's Mom - I know what you mean about the winddown - DS just keeps going until he drops - there is no concept of winddown/quiet time with him - he is like the energizer bunny in the TV ad.
 I would love for him to have a security blanket but instead he has choosen a big stuffed toy (a raccoon) as his crib toy and he will not sleep without it. Unfortunately it is almost half his size so he cannot sleep on it/put it over his face. Instead he just lies next to it. I know he would sleep better with something to cover his face because he is so easily distracted but I am not sure if i want to try and replace the raccoon!

I totally know what you mean about the energizer bunny thing. I shudder to think of what will happen when Colin start the transition to no nap. Quiet time simply won't be an option!

If he's already attached to the raccoon I wouldn't mess with that. Is his room as dark as possible? Blackout blinds or something?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o