Author Topic: What kind of things would a 16mo boy be into?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline emmas

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
What kind of things would a 16mo boy be into?
« on: July 18, 2008, 12:36:36 pm »
We're off to NZ from the UK in October - DS will be 16 months  :'( - I want to start buying things for the flight but haven't a clue what kind of things he will be capable of by then?

Sorry I know there are loads of flight tip posts but I guess I'm just after some age appropriate advice!

Many thanks

Offline SammyNik

• Showing Appreciation 10
Re: What kind of things would a 16mo boy be into?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 17:36:31 pm »
My ds is 16mo now and he loves things he can take apart and put back together, books ( all kinds but especially ones he can point to things and I can name for him!!) cars, balls ( but prob not a good idea on the plane  ;D) also simple things like playing peekaboo with his lovie can keep him occupied for quite a while. I think 16months is a good age as they love to see what is going on around them, I used to hate car journeys bcos he would complain the whole way but now he looks out the window and points out things to me so I can tell him what they are (again!!)
Niki - Mummy to 3 beautiful little monkeys.

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 18:00:02 pm »
Hmm anything noisy, but maybe thats not a good idea. Books, small cars, stickle bricks ( small bag), dont know if he would be into tv at that stage? DD wasnt and ds is showing no interest, though he loves music and I put the head phones on him on the way back from our vacation. One thing to remember, bring lots, cos you will be picking up a lot from the floor and its a pain when it rolls under the seats and you dont get it again. Lots of snacks too, the mini cereal packets worked very well for dd. Oh and how about books that  make noise? you know what I mean?

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 18:04:22 pm »
As PPs have said, books!  DS is 18mo now and has been totally obsessed with books for about the last 3m!  Just doing mad things with soft toys is also a great entertainment for him, but quite exhausting for me in the end!!! :D
*** Amanda ***

Offline Jonahs Mom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 18:05:13 pm »
We flew with ds and he was just a little older.

He liked snacks.

Seriously. Everyone that has taken a flight from our BC says snacks are the best.

I bought a cheerios activity book where you put the little cheerios in the spots and this was a life saver. Especially on take off and landing. Put some cheerios (add some fruity cheerios in for variety and colour) in their little spots, and he ate one by one by one. Constant swallowing!

A DVD player, 1-2 books, shoes to walk up and down the aisles, mega blocks, finger puppets, some cars.

If he is into it, crayons and books, play doh.
~Keri~

lilmonkey

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 18:36:25 pm »
Keri, where did you get the Cheerios activity book?  I saw it once on a plane ride but didn't think to ask then. 

Offline Jonahs Mom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 19:43:48 pm »
Just at Chapters. There is a transportation one and an animal one.

Even amazon.ca would have it...probably cheaper too!
~Keri~

Offline Ryan&HollysMom

• Claudia-German married to Canadian
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • halloween 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 00:42:04 am »
we used stickers/ stickerbooks. paper and crayons. etch a sketch (you know, the travel kind), books, cars, would accumulate new things and bring favorite ones too. when ryan was 17 mos old he discovered our backpack clips and did that for honest to god 2 solid hours (we would take them apart, he put them together). flashcards (bound together). looking at other people and playing with tv controls (if you have personal tv in front of you). lot sof food.  sleeping ???? mine never did, but others are knocked right out from the engine drone....
good luck
Claudia-German married to Canadian

and our angel, 10 weeks, 11/19/08

Offline rob1lu2

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • Boozy
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 15:47:10 pm »
Just traveled with my girls and they loved the magna doodle. It's better than crayons and paper b/c it's all in one and they can't make a mess, i.e. accidentally color the tray or the wall. Anything with suction cups is good.

I heard of a good idea where you bring clothes pins and you pin the blanket to the pocket in front of you and then to the top of the facing seat. That way any toys don't fall alll the way to the floor.

Is he going to be on your lap or have his own seat?

Lu

Offline emmas

• Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 15:52:59 pm »
On own laps - although we have a bassinette booked as he'll still be ok weight wise on the airline we are flying with they say up to 2?  I'm hoping that means we will have bulkhead seat so a bit more room!

I'd forgotten I'd started this thread so thanks everyone for their suggestions - I've so far only brought a travel aqua draw.  He only seems to like noisy things at the mo!

Offline rob1lu2

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • Boozy
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 17:08:28 pm »
I also remembered that my girls love "lift the flap" books and texture books.

I'll keep thinking!

Lu