Author Topic: No command prompt  (Read 4700 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 16:25:16 pm »
The problems are slowly getting worse.

Command prompt still worked a year ago, but won't now.

Burning doesn't work for three or four weeks, was fine before.

The space problem is very old, in 2003 I used mIRC without using a firewall and I still use ouka and mx  :-\ May have gotten something there, I dunno. I try and be careful, but Sam isn't, that's why I thought it was a very clever virus that is in my whole system.

The computer cannot be turned off as it won't turn on, only if you try like 2000 times and open a DC drive at the same time. It's not the power supply though... This is for maybe 6 months.

I am afraid, it's dying  :-\

Offline Gareth - Harvey & Theo's Dad

• Mac Daddy
  • Showing Appreciation 218
Re: No command prompt
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 16:41:17 pm »
Is this in any way applicable?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170669

It's really difficult for me to diagnose/repair advanced problems without having the computer on hand to work with, as I lack the ability to follow logic beyond 4 or 5 steps (no doubt related to being a left-hander) :P

Personally, by now I would have reformatted and taken my chances, but I understand your predicament.  It's difficult to recommend programs to you, because once you've installed them you can no longer uninstall them which compounds the problem.  One trick to try, is the next time you install a program, install using custom options, and change the install directory so that it installs just to your C:\ or other available drive, and not to C:\programs.

There is another piece of software you could try, that has some neat tools, and that's ccleaner.
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

Offline Shdef

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 17:04:55 pm »
I checked the registry and couldn't find the entry they described. So I guess it's not there.

I don't get the error they described anyway. It does it all fine. Then never comes up in Add/Remove Programs again, but is still there and no space is freed. It is then in the other folder. If I delete the folder from there, it will be back in C Programs.

For instance Nero... I had a rubbish version, wanted to deinstall it. So I did, even deleted the ahead folder out of registry. Now it's all back, but won't come up in Add/Remove anymore  ??? ??? ???

I have some stuff running from the external, so if that would work, I am open to suggestions.

Got to finish my dissertation on this thing... hope it lives that long  :-\

• Mac Daddy
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 08:52:41 am »
Steffi, I've been too busy to reply.

Have you had any luck with this yet?  Unfortunately I cannot come through with any other suggestions, though I have thought on it.
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

Offline Shdef

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 11:18:28 am »
It seems to be a different kind of problem than described there  :-\

Do you use linux? Will I actually be able to see more when using it or is it just wishful thinking?

• Mac Daddy
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 07:30:36 am »
I have no idea Steffi, I haven't used Linux :)  If you have a full copy of linux burned to cd can you setup from a boot?  That way you wouldn't need a command prompt.
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005