Author Topic: Ages and Amounts of Formula  (Read 98417 times)

Offline luvmybaby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Ages and Amounts of Formula
« on: February 07, 2004, 18:15:33 pm »
My ds is 3 months now, and he still takes 4 oz. every 3 hours.  I was wondering when the change to 6 oz. every 4 hours or ANY change really will occur.  Could I get some examples of your babies ages and how much they eat as far as ounces and how many hours apart?  I would really appreciate it - thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 18:24:35 pm by Noelle »
Kelly Elias
Proud Mommy of
Nathaniel Jack (Textbook)
Nov. 10, 2003

Offline Marisa M

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 01:22:44 am »
Funny, I was just wondering the same thing about my ds! He'll be eight weeks on Wednesday, and he's taking 5 oz every 2.5-3.5 hours (except at night). I think this is an awful lot of food for such a little guy but it seems to be what he wants. I may actually increase the amount to 6 oz because he's been sucking his bottles dry for the past two days.

As for getting him on a four-hour schedule, I am tempted to try but I think I may wait a while. I could never get Ben to go four hours in between bottles until he started taking solids, and I have a feeling that trying this with Matthew may be met with a LOT of resistance  :lol:

In all seriousness, though, I have heard of a lot of kids who never get on a four hour schedule on formula, even though that's what they 're "supposed" to do. You could give it a try, and if it doesn't seem to be working out after a week or so then just go back to what you were doing, especially if it seems to be working fine. Once he starts taking solids this will probably change.

Good luck!
Proud mom to:
Ben, born May 12/02, Textbook Baby/Toddler
Matthew, born Dec 17/03, Spirited Refluxer

Offline mabez

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 16:18:51 pm »
I am feeding my dd as much as she wants when she wants.  Usually this means about 7 ounces every four hours, but sometimes more and sometimes less both in terms of amount and time.  Do you think this is a problem and should I be limiting the amount she gets?

Cheers

Mabez

ps dd is now 4 months old

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 19:31:15 pm »
I was wondering if i was feeding my baby too much?

He is on 5-6 oz every 4 hours,he has his morning feed at 6am and has his last feed at 10pm at night.

he is a big baby and i have out him on the next formula for hungrier babies, and he guzzles it!!

but i am worried he may become overweight??

Offline Marisa M

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 01:37:42 am »
I am of the mind that you should just feed babies when they're hungry. They will let you know if they want more, and when they're ready to stop eating. The key is to pay attention to those cues and respect them.

Matthew will begin to squirm when he's full. I usually burp him at this time and try again. If he keeps squirming around, then I know he's full and I stop and don't force anymore. I used to get stressed if, for instance, if my first son only took half of his usual feeding. I don't do that anymore because I'm pretty sure a healthy baby won't starve itself!  :wink:

I'd rather feed every 2.5-3.5 hours during the day than at night. If your baby is sleeping through the night (mine isn't yet  :( ) then he/she has to get the calories at some point  - better during the daytime than in the dead of night! This might explain the frequency of feedings.

And of course, if the doctor says not to worry, then don't. A lot of babies lose their "baby fat" once they become active toddlers.

Hope this helps!
Proud mom to:
Ben, born May 12/02, Textbook Baby/Toddler
Matthew, born Dec 17/03, Spirited Refluxer

Offline CJ's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 16:49:44 pm »
my babe is 7 weeks old and taking 6oz every 4 hours apart from at nights when he kinda sleeps through.

Offline mabez

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 19:01:41 pm »
Ella has slept from [most of the time!] 7pm - 6/7am with a feed at ca. 10pm since we started with bottles and formula so I guess she knows how much she needs and when - and the strange thing is that no matter how often she eats or how much each time, she always clocks up about 34-35 ounces a day of milk - she's a smart little cookie!

Offline luvmybaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
Talked to nurse...
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 16:41:05 pm »
Thank you all for your input - it is SO appreciated!!  I talked to the nurse at our pediatrician's office, and she said as long as they are not getting any less than 18 oz. or more than 32 oz. in a 24-hour period, than things are usually just fine.  She said to just feed him as he needs it, so that is what I will do.  I have heard that once you start on cereal, things will probably change.  Our pediatrician starts cereal at 4 months, so I guess we will see in a month.

Nathan eats 4 oz. every 2 1/2 to 3 hours during the day, and he has been sleeping from 8 PM to around 6 AM - with a dreamtime feed at 11 PM.  So, I am pretty happy with his schedule, but was just a bit concerned when I heard other friends saying they were on a 4 hour schedule.  But, like BW says - all babies are different, and I need to remember to respect my ds as an individual and cherish that about him!!  :)

Thanks again!  You guys are great!

Kelly Elias
Mom to Nathaniel Jack Elias
Kelly Elias
Proud Mommy of
Nov. 10, 2003

Offline mezzogirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 17:06:12 pm »
just some more info. when I told our ped that I heard they couldn't have more than 32 ounces she said "feed your child as much as they need" So their have been days (even since dh started solids that he has had over 32 ounces) rarely but have been. just let your child guide you, esp if they are gonig thru a growth spurt.
"Delight thyself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart" Psalms 37: 4

Offline mabez

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 22:54:31 pm »
Hi Mezzogirl

I read about the "no more than 32 ounces" bit, but thought that you were supposed to give babies 2.5 oz per ounce of their weight. With that in mind, I thought that my dd should really be geting about 35 ounces a day - am I wrong.  Could this explain why she is often constipated?

Cheers

Mabez

Offline luvmybaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
Formula Amounts...
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2004, 23:05:53 pm »
Hi mabez,

My nurse did not say that it is necessarily BAD if you feed more than 32 oz.  She was saying that in their practice if a child is taking in that much formula, they will put them on cereal to give the feeding more substance.  I think her point was just that if they are demanding that much, it is probably good to go ahead and start cereal to better satisfy their little appetites.  Hope that helps clarify.  :)
Kelly Elias
Proud Mommy of
Nov. 10, 2003

Offline mezzogirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 15:22:46 pm »
Oh I agree re; solids, but our ped. said they can have as much formula as they want even if they are on solids.  Sometimes my ds will drink 20 ounces in one day and 40 the other and then not want many solids esp if he is teething, then there may be days where he only drinks abut 15 cuz he doesn't want to suck on the nipple and solids are then 'his food of choice..  he eats 3 hearty solid meals a day too.  i think her point was if he needs it give it to him.  It is so funny to me how ped everywhere have such differing views. I was just talking to a friend at church adn our ped, who is very cautious in re: to allergies said cheese and yogurt was fine at 7-8 mths but friends ped siad NO dairy at all til a year adn no finger foods at all til 8-9 mths....go figure, huh:):)  We are all good moms and know what are babies need IMO:):)
"Delight thyself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart" Psalms 37: 4

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 18:30:20 pm »
Hi guys

I've read somewhere (maybe the Baby World website) that in a 24 hour period babies should have on average between 2.5-2.7 oz of feed for every pound they weigh (i.e. a 10lb baby should have between 25 and 27oz in 24 hours). This seemed to be about what my ds was having give or take. Probably doesn't work for all babies but it seemed like a good general guideline.

cheers

Marie
Marie

cornflake

how much formula ?
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2004, 18:00:09 pm »
Hi my daughter is 11 weeks old and has 7-8 oz bottles every 3-4 hrs and still seems to be hungry in between feeds!!

Iggy

Amount of feeds for an 8 week old
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2004, 17:38:49 pm »
My 8 week old son takes approx 5oz every 3 hours.  Sometimes hell only take 3oz or so and others hell suck the bottle dry.  But i generally go by him.  My baby too squirms quite a bit when hes had enough.  I wind him and lay him on his playmat and hes very contented then.  Theres no point forcing or depriving your baby what he needs.  Just go by your baby and dont compare too much to others.  Afterall not all adults have the same appetite do they?!
Mum to Jack