Author Topic: Suddenly hates bath time at 18 mo  (Read 1191 times)

Offline jess, lukeys_mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Suddenly hates bath time at 18 mo
« on: July 26, 2008, 22:02:13 pm »
Do a lot of toddlers go through this stage?  DS used to love bathtime and now for the last 2 weeks or so, he refuses to go in the water.  Actually this happened once before some months ago, but I just put him in there and he stopped crying when he remembered how much he likes it. Now he can assert himself a bit more, and he will start cluthching onto me with his legs, climbing back up me, and screaming. So I end up kind of sponging him down, which also draws protest screams.

Should I just chock this up to being a short phase? Or a hopefully short one?! Bathtime used to me my favorite part of the day..... Unlike the stages where he doesn't want a particular food anymore, etc - with this one it's harder as he still needs to be washed kwim?
Mom to Luke (2007) and Dylan (2009)

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Suddenly hates bath time at 18 mo
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 16:50:14 pm »
perhaps it's just little boys named luke?   :P  mine did.  for whatever reason, it was the sound of the water coming out - it was loud & it scared him.  we did go through a period of sponge baths standing next to the tub. 

he eventually got over it with the help of my large tub already filled & bubble bath.  but it was several weeks.  :)
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline rob1lu2

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • Boozy
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 15:10:58 pm »
I was just reading about this in BWSAYP. Tracy says it's very common at this age. She attributes it to toddlers actually needing an earlier bedtime, so by the time you actually start the bath they are cranky b/c they would rather be in bed.

One of my girls who used to be able to spend an hour in the bath, now screams when you start to cover her in water. If you ask her if she wants a bath she says, "nonononononononono" and will walk away.

Lu

Offline jess, lukeys_mom

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 20:13:34 pm »
oh those darned lukes!!  ;D (btw, off topic, jamie did i ever mention to you that my girl name was jayna?? and i think it still is, if #2 is a girl! crazy, eh?! i had been meaning to tell you that, was shocked when i first saw your name)

thanks to you both for the feedback. tbh i don't think it as to do with the bedtime, although it is very possible that on some days that is adding to it. i have tried baths at other times such as afternoon, or bringing him in the tub with me, with mostly the same effect: screaming.

i'm convinced it is just a phase, but want to deal with it in a way that won't create an aversion to bath time. so far it is usually me unsuccessfully coaxing him in there, then wiping him down while he is standing and crying, holding on to me  :-\ i always fill the bath first and add his bubbles, then let him choose his bath toys. hmm... if anyone comes up with a better way to help him thru, please let me know!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 20:35:01 pm »
(btw, off topic, jamie did i ever mention to you that my girl name was jayna?? and i think it still is, if #2 is a girl! crazy, eh?! i had been meaning to tell you that, was shocked when i first saw your name)

:o  no way!!!   ;D ;D

it is a great combination of names!   ;) 8)

luke will probably eventually have a complex when he realizes that he's the only one w/o a "J" name, but once i came across Luke, i realized that was IT.  poor dh - he thought he was going to have a chance at naming him too! 
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline jess, lukeys_mom

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 20:37:30 pm »
it is a great combination of names!   ;) 8)

i agree! and we are a j name family too, but i fell in love with luke. kisses to yours xx