Author Topic: Re: Do I need to wait 4 days if he doesn't swallow any food?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline campbellchick

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Australia
Hi, I just wanted to pipe in here too with a question as I was wondering the exact same thing about waiting the 4 days when they don't swallow much.  I started my dd on pears through the week (at exactly 6 months old) as we have a family history of eczema (dh had it really bad as a kid and dd is apparently a 'sitting duck' for it according to her paed with lots of skin rashes already).  does that count towards trying new foods? 

I started her on pears for day 1 & 2 - she opened wide for the spoon, but screwed her face up and didn't really eat much or swallow - no food on day 3 then pear again on day 4.  She did the same thing - I then switched to apple this morning and she had the same reaction.  I now want to try something totally different to see if she gets the same reaction, but wasn't sure about the 4 day rule.  do you think I should tread more carefully from the eczema perspective?
Kerrie

Offline Freya'sMum

• Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
Re: Do I need to wait 4 days if he doesn't swallow any food?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 19:27:46 pm »
Have split your post from the original and moved it to Allergies as it was more specific than the original :)

Ax
Alison x

Offline campbellchick

• Australia
Re: Re: Do I need to wait 4 days if he doesn't swallow any food?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 23:17:52 pm »
Thanks Alison  ;D
Kerrie

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 23:53:15 pm »
Hello:

So you gave her pears and it screwed her face up.  What do you mean?  Did she just clamp her mouth shut and not swallow or did it cause a rash? 

If no rash came from the pears or apples, I think you would be okay to try something else.

Does she just not like the purees?  Did you make them homemade?

Sorry for the questions, but just want to be able to help you more.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline campbellchick

• Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 02:37:49 am »
Hi Wendy, no worries about the questions, I appreciate the help.  When I gave her the pears and have since tried apples, but have had the same reaction - she screwed her face up as if she did not like the taste and she wouldn't swallow them.  She opens up for more though.  When she did swallow them she has been choking  ???.  They are both homemade and I've pureed them as much as I can in the blender, so I didn't think they were lumpy, but maybe they have a few lumps in them that she is choking on?  I have bought a few tins of store bought pears and apples too, so I guess I can try them to see if she stops choking, but I wonder about the taste?  I don't think that it caused a rash, BUT...  since she has been sick with a cold, the dr prescribed her some penicillian to try - and I am highly allergic to it - so I was watching for a reaction in her (since she has managed to pick up all of our other allergies and rashes etc.) and I just had a gut instinct to stop giving it to her (she was suddenly behaving a bit different - nothing I can explain), and a day later she had a rash on her upper body and back.  I put it down to the penicillian, but the same day I think is when I gave her her first taste of pears.  The rash was gone by the following day and I have continued on with the pears - so am putting it down to possibly the penicillian instead of the food?  Do you think that sounds right?  Anyway, to cut a long story short (sorry to have rambled so much), but I really am confused now about going forward with the solids as I never had any of these problems with ds.  I was reluctant to try rice cereal (due to the constipation factor), but maybe I should try that next since I can mix it with breastmilk:-\

Do you think it sounds as though she just doesn't like my purees?  I will give the store bought one a try and see how she reacts to that one.  If she has the same reaction (screwing up her face), I might try someting with a totally different flavour like a vegetable.... 
Kerrie

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:00:13 am »
You know with any allergy, you have to be exposed to it twice to have an allergic reaction. 

My son is very allergic to amoxillion.  The first time he ever had, no problems, the 2nd time it was really bad.

So. It may not have been the penicillion. That is something you want to be certain of.  They use that type of antibiotic to treat many things.  Personally though if you are very allergic to it, I would not give it to her.  We avoid it with my DS2, because of my DS1's reaction.

I would try the store bought pears, just to see how she takes to it.  Normally pears are very sweet and a baby will love them. 

If she gags and chokes on the store bought ones though, I would try another food or maybe just hold off for a few more weeks. 

It could take her some time to get used to solids.  Right now it is all about practice and getting them used to different textures in their mouth.

Rice cereal is good to start with because you can make it really thin. 

If you see that she is constipated from it, then back off on the amount or offer another food.

You may want to consider Baby Led Weaning also:

Here is a link:  babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=92560.0
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline campbellchick

• Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:36:47 am »
Great, thanks for that info and the link.  I will have a read.  I didn't know that about the reaction and 2nd exposure.  My ds was okay with the penicillian.  I asked the paed and he said, it could have been a reaction, but it could have also been a coincidence, but just to let the dr know in the future and they probably won't prescribe it to her!  Anyway, I would rather steer clear of it unless she really needs it instead of risking a reaction.  I just get a bit worried about these things - particularly if it interferes with her breathing... 

Anyway, I'll try the store bought pears since they will probably be smoother and then I'll try the rice cereal too.

thanks again for your help
Kerrie

Offline momtoandrewandthomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:59:12 am »
Kerrie - Our pediatrician says that in the first year, it is just about getting them used to taking food from a spoon, not really about the quantity or quality of the meals.  Maybe she is not really sure what to make of this new thing.  I would also try the store bought or even try boiling your fruits to soften the texture before you blend them.  I know they say fruits can be done raw, but it might help.  Also, the rice cereal mixed with water or breastmilk/formula is a familiar taste and she may be more receptive.
Jen - pediatric physical therapist and wife to Brian
Mom to Andrew - 5 1/2 sensitive preemie
           Thomas - 2 1/2 MSPI textbook baby

Kindergarten is stressing me out!!!!

Offline campbellchick

• Australia
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 12:49:32 pm »
Thanks Jen.  I definitely stew the fruit before I blend it, so I think I am just not blending it into enough of a puree, that is probably why she is choking.  I gave her a suck on my actual apple today and she screwed her face up in the same way.  I think I will try the rice cereal - as you said, it will be mixed with her BM, so she will be more familiar with the taste!

Also, dd is sick with a bad cold atm, would you hold off on offering solids?  She isn't drinking much BM either at this point.  I haven't given her any solids for the last 3 days since we only just started them anyway and thought I'd wait until she got a little better again?

Thanks
Kerrie

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 18:29:40 pm »
I would wait until she is feeling better.  At any time when they have a cold or sick, they really don't want to eat or drink much.

Wendy
Wendy -

Offline campbellchick

• Australia
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 23:45:36 pm »
Kerrie