Author Topic: coeliac in family - avoid gluten  (Read 1004 times)

Offline anjabibby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« on: August 03, 2008, 20:15:20 pm »
Hi there,

Just wondering whether I could get some advice on this. My mum has coeliac, unusually it was adult-onset, which is apparently quite rare. My sister and I were tested but both came back negative. My LO is now 6months and completely uninterested in puree so we are going down finger food route and so I thought about giving some bread/toast, but wondered whether I should stick to gluten free with coeliac in the family for a bit longer or as it was late onset do you think it would be OK?

Thanks, Anja

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: coeliac in family - avoid gluten
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 23:48:24 pm »
That is a tough one.  I know here in the US, they say to avoid wheat until age 1, BUT all the teething biscuits, puffs, etc. that are made for babies, have wheat in them.

Celiac is hard to dignose also.  You could give him wheat and symptoms may not appear until later.  He could just get eczema from it or some other odd symptoms.  He may not get the digestion upset. 

If it were me, I think I would wait until at least a year, not only because you have a family member with celiac, but also wheat can be a high allergenic food.

Would your lo take homemade purees? 

Also, not sure if you can get it done where you are, but I think there is a blood test that you can get done to see if your lo has the celiac gene.  If he/she does, that does not mean that they will get celiac, but are at a greater risk.

Hope this helps, Wendy
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 23:53:52 pm by Mydreamcametrue »
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline anjabibby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:50:48 am »
Thanks Wendy
My LO hasn't taken to purees at all - have made all homemade and she is completely uninterested, hance why I was going the finger food route. Shall stick to wheat free at present - have a bread maker so can make it at home, though the bread is never as good with gluten free flour!
She also has eczema anyhow so that would cloud the issue.
Thanks for the message, much appreciated
Ax