Author Topic: Safe antibiotics  (Read 1154 times)

Offline momtoandrewandthomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Safe antibiotics
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:48:11 am »
I am wondering which antibiotics are safe (not grown on milk or soy) as Thomas is in the middle of some weird virus that is lingering right now.  I am wondering if he has a sinus or ear infection since his fever has not gone away and started after his cold symptoms were improving.  Anyway, on the off chance that he will have to take something, I wanted to be prepared.  Does anyone know which are safe?  I want to be armed with info when I get to the office if we go there.
Thanks. Jen
Jen - pediatric physical therapist and wife to Brian
Mom to Andrew - 5 1/2 sensitive preemie
           Thomas - 2 1/2 MSPI textbook baby

Kindergarten is stressing me out!!!!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Safe antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 01:54:37 am »
Hey Jen.

So weird, Me, Zach and Tyler all had that weird virus.  It lasted about 8 weeks. 

It started as a cold and then turned into strep throat, then after the antibiotic, it turned into congestion and a sinus infection. 

We are not that far apart, so must be a virus.

I know for us, we needed antibiotic.

Anyhow, now to your question.  I honestly have no idea which antibiotics are safe.  I tried to google it and did not get any real answers.

I would call your pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist.  They would now for sure.

More than likely they will give him amoxillion for a sinus infection. 

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline momtoandrewandthomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 02:21:25 am »
Thanks Wendy.  I tried the same thing on google and did find that most are grown on milk or soy substrates (?) but no real specifics.  I do know it was on this board or another that people were discussing what could be safe and I cannot remember.  how did your boys do on the antibiotic?  Any symptoms increased? 
Jen - pediatric physical therapist and wife to Brian
Mom to Andrew - 5 1/2 sensitive preemie
           Thomas - 2 1/2 MSPI textbook baby

Kindergarten is stressing me out!!!!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 20:30:37 pm »
You know I never really thought about it.  My DS1 (now 3) was on 5 different antibiotics in 3 months, so you can imagine that his digestive system was really bad.  Also though he was not on a milk free diet.  It was not until he was on those 5 antibiotics and he was having non-stop diaherra, losing weight, and everything he ate came out whole, that I put 2 and 2 together about MSPI. 

Once I removed milk and dairy and started probiotics, he was a new kid. 

After that, when he needed antibiotics he tolerated them just fine. 

DS2 has been fine with the 1 antibiotic he has been on.

I would just be sure to give a probiotic with it and I think you will be fine.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!