Author Topic: Winding down - am I doing it right?  (Read 943 times)

Offline suevcameron

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 06, 2008, 16:53:58 pm »
Hi

Have been having problems with naps during the day with my 9 week old DH. He has been crying a lot when I put him down. I am reaching the conclusion that it isn't overstimulation or OT, that perhaps its my winddown. The last two days I have been taking my lo into the nursery, drawing the curtains, sitting and rocking whilst listening to a nursery rhyme (without the rocking he cries) then sitting rocking in silence, finally sitting not moving in silence, then I have been putting him in the crib with his eyes open and he's fallen asleep unaided.
Is this ok as a winddown? I know I shouldn't be rocking him to sleep but is it ok to rock him during the winddown - its not going to become a prop is it?

Offline transplantmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Our Children's Organ Transplant Page
Re: Winding down - am I doing it right?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 17:35:33 pm »
I'm by no means an expert here; just posted with a problem myself.  But my understanding is that if he's still awake when you put him down, then it's not necessarily a prop.  If he was completely asleep when you put him down, that would be a different story.  Has he always napped in his own crib or has he been napping elsewhere (swing, bassinet) until now?

Also, what's your EASY?  Are you watching his sleepy cues after appropriate A time? 
Do you have the heart to be an organ donor? 
Keegan (Little Fiery One)- Born 9-12-2007, Heart Transplant 9-19-2007

Offline worriermum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • baby boy blue
Re: Winding down - am I doing it right?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 21:13:22 pm »
like pp im no expert but my understanding is that (the rocking) would become a prop if he cries when stopped and needs it to stop crying. However thats to fall asleep, to calm him might be a different story. Since your easing off the rocking throughout the wind down & he's ok - you may find he no longer needs the rocking??? maybe over a period of time do less & less rocking at winddown & see how he goes-maybe a minute or so less over a couple of days???? just a thought, that is my plan on removing possible things that might become a prop anyway.

p.s. my lo fusses & cries a bit @ bedtime but then once he calms down he does off to sleep easier.

Your doing well :)

Offline suevcameron

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 06:52:02 am »
Its such a challenge getting all these things right! Yeah - he sleeps well in his cot in his own room during the day or his pram if I'm out and then sleeps perfectly through the night in his crib in our bedroom and has never slept anywhere else. Its just these naps that are a challenge. I extended his activity time this morning and I think I missed his window and he cried and took a while to settle with rocking and pat/shhing, but was calm and awake when I put him into his cot.
Sleepy cues I'm not great at 'cause he doesn't yawn until he's just about to fall asleep. He tends to stop smiling and his movements become a little over energetic.
We've been doing EASY for about 4 weeks now - still haven't got it completely sussed but we're getting there!! He's on a 3 hour routine. Struggle with his Activity time 'cause some people say it should be as short as 45 mins and others say over an hour - so I guess its a case of experimenting and working on  recognising those sleepy cues!!
Thank you for your advice guys - I will have a go with reducing the rocking - particularly if he's not crying in the first place - I just don't know how else to get him drowsy - he's pretty much a text book baby but has a touch of the spirited about him!!