Author Topic: First nap a mess - please help  (Read 787 times)

Offline ktlamb

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 09, 2008, 14:47:58 pm »
My 5 month LO is on a pretty good 4 hour EASY, and if we totally stick to it (at home, no deviations) it works like a charm.  He is usually ready to sleep about 2 hours after waking, and I can put him down drowsey but awake.

Here's the problem:  I have recently started walking in the morning after his first feed, with him in the stroller.  He kind of cat naps in the stroller for about 20 minutes during the walk, then he WILL NOT nap in the morning.  Then I have to play with him until his 11:00 feed, and he's practically falling asleep during it.

What can I do?  Please don't tell me don't walk, because I put his sleep schedule before everything, and I desperately need to get out.  I live in Tennessee, and the early morning is the best time to walk because it gets so hot.  

Any other suggestions?  For example, today I did it, and when I got home, layed him in his pack and play where he played quietly for a while, then I moved him into his bouncer where we was very quiet and still.  Becausae of the stillness, I thought he was ready to go to sleep, but then I go do the sleep routine and he lays there a few minutes then starts crying.  I thought maybe he needed a buffer between the walk and sleep, but no dice.

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
Re: First nap a mess - please help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 15:03:17 pm »
Hi there!  I think the problem is that tiny catnap is enough to make him not sleepy at all for his nap, but not rested enough to go til his next feeding.

Well, my ideas are...

*Make your walk longer so he can get more sleep during it. 
*Carry him in a sling or back pack or front pack - perhaps he won't sleep then.
*If you have a significant other, try to get up and walk before they leave for the day. 
*Take shorter walks more frequently.
*Try everything possible to keep him awake during your walk, take a small break when you see him drifting and wake him up.
*Walk at night when he goes to bed or when the sun goes down

I'll keep thinking.  Just remember this time goes by so fast, it won't be long before his A time will be longer and you can do more.  HUGS

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline brenda2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 227
Re: First nap a mess - please help
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 21:42:59 pm »
i agree with pp.  also, you could walk at his scheduled nap time and hopefully he would take a long nap then?