Author Topic: What does your 3-4 year old play with?  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
What does your 3-4 year old play with?
« on: August 10, 2008, 21:51:43 pm »
Looking for ideas.  We aren't home very often, but when we are - well his toys are so beneath him mentally.  I'm not sure what to get him because he is above most 3yr old toys, but I also don't want to get him things that will cause him to become frustrated because they are too old.  Know what I mean?

He is into match box cars and all the track things that go with them.  He loves robots, tinker toys, legos, tools, anything he can fix, take apart or put together, build and learning type things and music.

Santa will be coming soon, I'm starting to panic because the stores don't seem to have anything that jumps out at me!

What are the kiddos playing with??  :)

TIA

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: What does your 3-4 year old play with?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 22:00:43 pm »
Train table is still a big hit here.

This laptop http://www.vtechuk.com/products-and-accessories/winnie-the-pooh-play-n-learn-laptop/ is great, and portable. He's learning loads from it, and he thinks it's funny that he gets his own computer like Mummy

Also - don't forget that he can use your laptop too! Ds is currently obsessed with this website http://atv.disney.go.com/playhouse/myfriendstiggerandpooh/index.html - they have some great games, and he can navigate it himself now.

For the garden - for ds at the moment, it's golf clubs, playing tennis with a bat and ball, and he just loves football.
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 22:07:58 pm »
Oh and cars. Lots and lots of little cars :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

daybyday

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 22:12:53 pm »
Cars, puzzles, trains, fixing, oh, did I mention CARS, lol....his bike, dinosaurs...A certain book, where the object is to find things...ones a dinosaur theme...kinda a where's waldo type thing with different themes...

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 22:18:53 pm »
Cars, Legos, Duplo has a cool train set.  Not sure who has more fun with it, Mouse or Dave.  Stroller, she takes all kinds of stuff for rides.  Last night it was a box of fruit snacks.   
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

binxyboo

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 23:58:00 pm »
Cars, puzzles, trains...loves all these. He also has a little tent in the living room that he loves camping out in. I find the older he is getting, the more imaginative his play is becoming and he finds multiple uses for each toy. He loves acting out different scenarios etc.

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 00:22:33 am »
Quote (selected)
I find the older he is getting, the more imaginative his play is becoming and he finds multiple uses for each toy. He loves acting out different scenarios etc.

I agree with this.  It seems that DD needs less "toys" because she will begin creating games and stories out of everything.  She loves her stuffed animals, containers of any sort that she can fill with things (boxes, buckets, bags, purses, backpack, etc. . .), toy food and dishes, legos, blocks, and then any blankets, pillows, etc. . . around the house.  I'm also thinking about getting them a train table for Christmas because that is a big hit when we go to the children's museum.  Oh, and they are both very into drawing, cutting, and gluing right now.  Makes a huge mess, but they are entertained for an hour at a time.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 00:49:56 am »
The tent is a great idea. My niece and nephew are 3 and 5, and she got a tent for her b-day last week (20 dollars at Target...it's a big giraffe!) and the 5 year old loved it so much that SIL went and got him his own (they were fighting) and they seem to love it! Outside OR inside!! Even a snack seemed like more fun to them because they ate it in the tent!

Oh, and Jen...my dd took an empty cracker box for a ride in her stroller today!!  ;D   And her binkie gets rides every day!!

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 03:57:07 am »
 8) ;D
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

DannyMummy

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 08:18:39 am »
Tent's, dressing up clothes and lego are the big hits here

Offline **Clare**

• Showing Appreciation 134
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 08:45:19 am »
Harvey loves any little figures! Playmobil, lego and just general figures! Hes not fussy, he just takes any of Jakes out if his box!! He also loves small cars!! His favourite thing to do right now is Duplo! Its less frustrating than the lego and he loves to build tall towers and arrange the bricks in lines of colours!! I am a MASSIVE fan of Duplo!!! I also LOVE Playmobil but more for a little bit older children, Harvey just plays with Jakes!

Offline Miasmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Mia the Character
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 08:53:47 am »
maybe get him a torch to play with his tent, I know DS loves torches cause he feels like he in a cave. He is obsessed with dinasours and animals and plays with those continuously. Also he loves dress up clothes like spiderman, batman, superman. When we are outside he loves swing ball.

My DS does not like cars at all (pity as practically the whole family works in the car industry) but for his one birthday he got this toy that look a bit like a parking lot where the cars can drive up to different levels and then there was a gas station to fill up the car... maybe he would like something like that???
[img width= height=]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/foxfoxard20070131_2_My+child+is+an+angel+baby.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogard20040915_2_My+child+is+textbook+baby.png[/img]

Offline Alison_3

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 11:04:32 am »
A tent has been set-up in our basement/playroom for months now and both boys love it.  Ben's imagination is going crazy right now too.  It's really neat to watch.  He still plays with all of his trains/train table (I was nervous about the money spent, but well worth it in our house!), dinosaurs, puzzles, and as of late he's really into sticker books. 

He also likes "big trucks".  They are really just an assortment of trucks, cars, etc. that are a decent size that he just loves to drive around the house. 

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 01:19:07 am »
ILs got DS a subscription to Highlights High Five--a magazine for preschoolers.  It's pretty fun--stories, poems, craft projects, etc.  Some of it is over DS's head, but a good stretch and nice variety to get a new one monthly.  Here's a link:  http://www.highlights.com/shopping/product/detail2main.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=2116&iProductID=2116&sccat=E0192&ccid=KNC-1000-1001015&source=google_highfive

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 10:26:12 am »
Duplo train sets and duplo cars, trucks to assemble and reassemble. And a table (his own if there is enough space) that he can use to drive around. Good thing about Duplo is, they don't get too frustrated cause it isn't as small and you can buy new stuff all the time that fits.