Author Topic: Advice on how not to feel like a terrible mother? Starting day care today...  (Read 679 times)

Offline momtothomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
My DS started at a "real" day care today, and he'll go 3 days a week.  For the past 11 months, he's gone to a sitter's "in-home" day care with only 3 other kids.  He only had 2 colds the first 15 months of his life.  But we visited his day care this past Thursday (today is Tuesday), and there was a kid there that was obviously sick - he had boogers pouring down his face.  (I guess it's ok to send your kid to day care with a cold, as long as they don't have a fever...?)  Anyway, during our brief visit, I saw DS put something in his mouth that the sick kid had in his mouth a moment before, and I thought - "Don't tell me Thomas is going to get sick already?!?"  He did, and he appears to be getting over it a little now.  DH dropped him off this morning and said the "big kid with the boogers" was there and was still obviously sick.  I suppose DS really will be sick a long time while starting day care, like everyone warned, but I can't help feeling SUPER guilty for leaving him with strangers and making him sick (and, of course, he got me sick, so now I feel miserable too and neither one of us slept last night).  And the nap issue is a whole different ballgame... He only gets one there, but he's clearly still a 2-nap kid with me.

Ugghhh.  :(
Mom to Thomas, born 5/5/07

DannyMummy

((Hugs))

Offline Leesa

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • "I hope you dance..."
(hugs) it is never easy.  My son was in daycare for 6 years.  The important thing to remember, is that their immune system will build up and it does get better.

Have you done reference checks on the daycare to ease some discontentment? Stop by in the middle of the day to see how your lo is doing.  It often put my mind at easy when I walked in the door and saw him (with utter abandon I might add) playing with the other kids and having such a joyful time.

Do not feel guilty for making decisions for you and your lo. 

Lisa
Madison-Spirited/Textbook 2.75 years old
Brayden-Angel 8 years old

Offline momtothomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
I wish I could just stop by regularly, but unfortunately, the day care is close to home, but not very close to my office.  I do think today that I will leave work early and be there soon after his naptime.

I just feel so guilty for having to leave him at a day care.  My mom was a SAHM until my sister and I were both in school, at which point she returned to work (as a teacher, at our school even).  I know I'm not cut out to be a SAHM - I like having my "real" job to come to a couple days a week.  But, it's days like this that make me feel guilty about it.  I know he'll like it eventually, but I just hate saying, "Here, strangers, help raise my child for me!  Son, I know you are sick and need to sleep, but instead you are going to run around with other sick kids all day."
Mom to Thomas, born 5/5/07