Author Topic: Crafts, one on one time at specific times  (Read 1072 times)

Offline CharlotteandCharlie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
  • These moments make my heart sing!
Crafts, one on one time at specific times
« on: August 14, 2008, 05:42:24 am »
We asked for, and received, several clever craft projects,sticker books, colouring/dry eraser books for Charlie's 3rd birthday.  My grip/concern is that she is asking all day long to do them.  Problem is Campbell has recently learned how to climb chairs and thus causes a ruckus on the kitchen table where we try to do crafts or puzzles.  My patience with a 3 year old and crafts is something I constantly work at to try to ensure she is allowed full creative control without my need to make it "right".  Insert 16 month old adventurer into the mix and its about all I can do not to blow my top and ruin everything. 

What I'm doing right now is Campbell goes to nap at 1.00 p.m. and Charlie goes at 1.30 p.m. although she is dropping this slowly.  I tell her that once Campbell goes down for her nap we can do whatever she chooses.  We have a great time and really bond but the other 20 times a day she asked to do another craft project riddles me with guilt and I wonder if I'm handling this situation appropriately. 

Am I selfish to limit one on one craft time to that 30 mins spot when Campbell is asleep?  Is there something else I can set Campbell up with so she can calmly and orderly play along at the table with Charlie and I?  She really wants to be with us but as you can imagine between her falling off the chairs, climbing on the table, smashing her baby hands into the puzzles or eating the play doh I am at a loss.

TIA
Charlotte mom to
Charlie Anne August 7, 2005
Campbell Rose March 27, 2007
And wife to the man of my dreams.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: Crafts, one on one time at specific times
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 06:27:54 am »
can you put campbell in a high chair with smaller versions of whatever charlie wants to do?

at 18-20 mo my girls did playdoh, stickers, puzzles, started gluing and sticking using a glue stick and lots of help etc. so campbell could join in too on her own level.  you can set them up with their own supplies and zone and supervise or set campbell up with a non crafty but age appropriate activity in the high chair while charlie does her thing
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 22:06:37 pm »
Thanks Deb, right now Campbell just tries to eat it or smooth it which is fine all in all I suppose but she is really persistant and grunts and yells alot to be doing what we are doing at the table ... don't blame her.

As far as glueing and other stuff in general she is not where Charlie was at this age.  It seems like she is much or chaos and baby like.  That could all change in the next month or so going by the way these lo's change and grow.  She is approaching 17 months in a few weeks.

It all comes down to my need for order and control.  Poor girls. 
Charlotte mom to

Offline trisharushbrook

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • Orla 2lbs 9oz, Emily 3lbs 6oz, born 8th Dec 2006
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 22:43:45 pm »
How about giving her access to one cupboard in the kitchen - eg the pots and pans.  she can pull them out and you can give her some dried pasta to put into them and a wooden spoon and she can play away on the floor while you work at the table.  Noisy I know but I think part of the appeal for Charlie is that it's just Mom & Charlie.  Involving Campbell might turn into something else.... unless you can do a joint activity with them both at another time in the day.
I get about 10mins of one on one with one of my girls as she sleeps a little less than the other but besides that I have them both at the same time all the time and while they are twins they are sooo different so it can be really difficult to keep everyone happy.   It's not always possible and I've had to accept that.   I think Charlie is very lucky to get her bit of time with you to do projects -even if it is only for 30mins....cherish it !

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 23:20:51 pm »
At 17 months or so she might be able to hang with a BIG washable crayon or two and a piece of paper in her high chair while you do something with Charlie, or just give her a sheet of stickers to mess with for a couple minutes. If she can have a sort of copy of what big sis is doing it might help.

You can also address it with Charlie out of the moment, how some things lil' sis is going to want to do WITH her and that's OK, but other things she might want to keep for one-on-one. If SHE can have a say in "special" mom-and-DD projects she might like that too. :)

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 03:57:44 am »
I just wanted to update as I kind of lost track of this post when Mabel got killed (sniff) but I've found a very happy medium.  Campbell is now in a groovy booster seat that straps her in right close to the table so she can't crawl on top of it (grrrr) and happily colours or play doh's or sticker books with us. 

I still save one on one time with Charlie twice a day (30 mins stagard naps and bedtime) and at those times we play boardgames.  (love them)

Things are in a good groove right now! 

Thank you all!
Charlotte mom to