Author Topic: Still need help! Will things ever get better?  (Read 2024 times)

Offline coopers_mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • It's An Ever-Changing Ride!
Re: Still need help! Will things ever get better?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 23:05:32 pm »
Good for you!  that is so awesome.  So how are naps going...still up and down as in times go? 

Keep it up....you're almost there to him settling for bed all by himself! 
Nicole

Offline everhopeful

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 03:59:29 am »
Thank you for the support and encouragement.  Things are still a bit up and down.  We are still havign to do wi/wo.  We are on night 11!  On the whole the times are getting shorter. Tonight was 10 minutes, but we still get some 1 hour nights.  What is the longest someone has had to do wi/wo? I feel liek my lo is going to keep up the fight forever!  I have to be honest - some nights I want to cave in. Esp when he does one of his long fighting going to sleep nights.   

On the flip side - he is STTN!!  On Friday night we had a 2 hour waking from 3:30-5:30, but that is it.  I think a lot of it has to do with the 2-1 nap transition. We have been a bit all over the place with day sleep!  We seem to be solidly on 1 nap now of about 2 hours and 40 minutes - 3 hours.  He can't quite handle 5.5 hours of A time so we do a lot of early bedtimes.  It makes it hard to really know when to put him down as my ds is not very good at showing you he is tired.  During the day he starts yawning around 4 hours of A time, but at night you won't see a yawn out of him until he is way OT.  I think I am goign to start stretching mornign A times by 15 minutes every 3 days until I get him to longer A time.

Thanks again! 

everhopeful   

Offline coopers_mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • It's An Ever-Changing Ride!
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 18:18:53 pm »
I completely understand that "not showing any tired signs" thing!  It can be so hard to tell then!  That's really exciting about the one long nap though....we're still working to get there.  It was looking pretty promising, and then a lot of medical needs came up with DS, so we've been battling making sure we have naps in before having to be at the Dr's office for a while or at the hospital for a while for tests!  With all of this, he's added in EW's (5:15 this morning) into the mix so 2 naps are still very common around here!  (or at least the trying for 2 naps!). 

I'm not sure how long ppl do WIWO...when we were sleep training(at 6 months) we used to rush in everytime DS would make a noise because we didn't want him to wake fully!  So aroudn that time we probably did it for about a month.  BUT I would be interested to know how quickly are you going in during WIWO?  Now you know that he can put himself to sleep, he's just either PO'ed that you walked out or OT.  Maybe you can gradually keep increasing the time that you are out of the room.  If WIWO is only taking 10 minutes, then maybe you can see if even though he might scream for a minute or two in pure madness, if he would calm himself down on his own and then lay down and fall asleep. 

Does he have a lovey, soft music, or white noise?  We give DS a lovey (his stuffed horse), he has a CD that plays the same songs for naps and bedtime and we have a humidifier on as some soft white noise.  Some nights he talks in his crib for about 15 minutes (it used to drive me nuts...) but a good mentor told me that she looks at that as if they are telling their stuffed animals all about their day! 

You're doing great though!  Once we can get back to attempting the 2-1 switch, I might need some great encouraging words from you!  :)
Nicole

Offline everhopeful

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 04:12:51 am »
I'm so sorry about having to go to the dr or to the hospital for tests.  It is so impossible to get an appt at a time that does not interfere with naps and then you always have to wait for so long!  It just makes whatever you are going through that much harder. I am so sorry.  You will be in my prayers.  I hope what ever your ds is going through ends soon. 

Well... last night ds was up from 3:23 - 5:40.  He was in the crib on his own until about 4 and then started crying. I went in to start wi/wo and he had pooped!  Well, that meant taking him out of the crib and all that.  He never calmed down again. I finally caved and stayed with him until he fell asleep.  My husband was sick and I was so tired I was starting to see spots when I was standing up.  Nap time today was no better. It took 1 1/2 hours of wi/wo to get him asleep.  Again, we caved and stayed with him.  This whole process is just wearing me down.  I think I have maybe figured out the problem. On the nights he only takes 10-15 minutes to go to sleep are the nights he wakes for hours.  I am thinking he is just not tired enough.  WIth a 3h our nap he may need a longer day, so I am goign to go back to putting him to bed later. I have been putting him to bed early to combat all the OT, but maybe that is backfiring now?  I will see how tonight goes. Here was his day

7:50 awake
1:40- 3:25 nap 1 (started around noon!)
8PM lights out
8:48 asleep after wi/wo

I pray that he sleeps through the night!!!!

everhopeful