Author Topic: Getting Back on Track ..  (Read 698 times)

Offline Jacob's Mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 19, 2008, 08:43:27 am »
Hi everyone

I need some advise on how to get DS back on track to be an independent sleeper.

Grumpy DS is 17months and up to about 1.5 mths ago he was fairly well routined with 2 naps a day each lasting about 1.5 hours and sleeping through the night from 7am-7pm.

Now he's totally off and has become totally the opposite - Doesn't want to nap, not eating cuz he's teething with a vengence, when we put him down at night he wants someone sitting next to his cot until he falls asleep, has 1 major NW between 3am -4am every night and sometimes takes up to 2 hours to settle and in between the major NW he needs settling.  DH and I are  tired and have resorted to put my helper back in the room with him at night which I am hoping to change soon.

I know the problem started when I went on holiday with DS to the UK and shared a room with him. He started NW due to the jet lag and after 3 weeks it became a habit.  I didn't help the situation by doing all sorts of accidental parenting like letting him sleep on my bed etc but I was exhausted from the flight, DS waking up in the middle of the night and getting up at 5.30am every day and severely jet lagged. 

When we came back home we tried to get him back on track but then the damage was done and now I need help ... The teething has not helped the situation.  His canines and molars are all coming out at the same time which is making him feel uncomfortable.  He has no appetite  to eat and frankly I don't blame him.  I try to give him more milk which he does take but I guess it's not enough calories to keep him sleeping through the night.

I'm not sure but I also think i aggrivated the situation by trying to switch him from 2 to 1 nap.

Any advise?  I kinda regret going on holiday and ready to sacriface all future ones if I ever get back on track ...

sherry

Offline NicElua

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Getting Back on Track ..
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:10:05 am »
hi Sherry,
just saw your thread. guess what?  I had exactly the same problem few months back when we returned from our long holiday to, incidentally, the UK!

Upon return, ds also started to teeth like crazy (like 5 at one short!), not to mention the messing around with his naps and the countless NWs. we didnt' really quite settle back till aft close to a month!

I'm not sure how this would help but maybe you can go through my thread and see if you can pick up anything?

here it is: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=125054.15

How's your ds' routine like now, btw?
Nic

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
Re: Getting Back on Track ..
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 22:35:25 pm »
At 17 months, I'd guess your son is probably ready for the 2-1 nap transition.  Do you want to give a detailed description of your current routine? Don't worry if everyday is diff., just give me an idea of how a typical day goes.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!