Author Topic: Has anyone's LO ever outgrown a peanut allergy?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline 2Kats

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Has anyone's LO ever outgrown a peanut allergy?
« on: August 19, 2008, 18:47:40 pm »
I am just wondering if any of your LOs have ever outgrown a peanut allergy.  We just got DD tested again last week and she is still allergic.  I was pretty disappointed.  I really thought she would have outgrown her allergy even though I know it is not commen to outgrow it. 

Also, do you take your kids back to the allergist every year?  I was hoping to just wait until she was closer to school age before going back but the nurse said it is important to come back every year. 
Jenny

Offline KathyM

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Has anyone's LO ever outgrown a peanut allergy?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 19:15:07 pm »
My ds had a reaction to peanut butter when he was 1 year old. Nothing too serious, but still had me worried. We avoided peanuts for a long time. I eventually had him tested when he was around 2 and it was negative. We still don't eat peanut butter, but I don't worry anymore if he's around it or even if he ate some.
HTH

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 20:00:13 pm »
Hi Jenny:

Having a peanut allergy is very serious and I am sure that is why they want you back every year. 

My son goes to an allergist, but does not have any actual food allergies (just enviromental) and they will only test him once every 3 years and it really is not important to go every year.

As far as her growing out of the allergy, I have heard that some lo's will outgrow it by age 4 or 5. 

I  know it is hard whenever your lo has an allergy of any sort. 

Have you ever given her Peanut butter?  Did they say how severe her allergy was?

I personally was allergy tested and it showed allergic to peanuts, but I eat them all the time without a problem.  It was really low on the wheel chart for an allergy, so it could have been a false positive.

I would just continue taking her back every year and hopefully she will outgrow the allergy soon. 

Hugs to you, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline 2Kats

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 21:09:51 pm »
Yes, I have given her peanut butter and she had a mild reaction to it.  Just a rash around her mouth and an itchy tongue.  When she was tested they said it was a mild allergy but this year it seems to have gotten worse.  So, she probably won't grow out of it but I guess you never know.  I was just wondering if anyone knows any kids who have grown out of it.

Jenny

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 21:19:05 pm »
I don't know any kids personally with a peanut allergy.

I hope she does though. 

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 21:30:27 pm »
My friend's daughter outgrew her peanut allergy by 5 yo...
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007