Author Topic: .... AND WE ARE BACK WITH MORE NWs  (Read 1150 times)

Offline verytired

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:22:10 am »
HELP!!  It feels like DS is trying to see how far he can push me before I go completely mad!!

(deep breath) (sigh)
My now 1 yr old SPIRITED DS has never been a good sleeper. I have gotten great advice from everyone here on all possible sleep issues - 10 min naps; 30 min naps; 45 min naps; long NWs ; EWs; constant BF at night; NW because of SA etc etc. Things get better for a short time and then DS figures out a way around my new method and we start having problems again. The NWs have been an almost constant problem. We have finally dropped all night feeds (on occasion DS does insist on 1 feed - but this is usually when he has refused dinner etc) but DS is still waking up 6-8 times per night. The new set of NWs started about 2 weeks ago (before that DS had just 1 or 2 NWs) and the timing is erratic. Last night he woke up at 12:30a; 3a; 4:30a; 5a; 5:15a; 5:30a; 6:30a and finally was up for the day at 7:30a. Tonight he has already gotten up twice at 8:30p and 9:30p and I am dreading the rest of the night!

I know he is not OT/UT - he naps for about 2.5-3 hrs during the day and A time is usually 3.5-4 hrs. He is in bed by 7:30p. He is a fairly independent sleeper. He sleeps on his own in the crib although he occasionally checks to make sure I am in the room. It takes < 10min to put him down for a nap.

Probably not a milestone issue - he has now figured out the walkingthing so I am hoping there are no more big milestones

It cannot be a teething thing because I tried using a numbing ointment a couple of nights and he still woke up several times

What else could it be?? When he does wake up I go in and pick him up and talk to him softly and tell him it is still sleep time and I put him back in bed. He then turns on his side and goes back to sleep. But a short while later he is up again. I am starting to feel so sleep deprived, I don't think I can sleep for more than 3 hrs at a stretch even if DS lets me!! Last night DH took over for about 6 hrs so that I can sleep and I still kept waking up every hr.

Please help !!

Offline *Nicola*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 429
Re: .... AND WE ARE BACK WITH MORE NWs
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 07:00:50 am »
Hi there,

Just popping this over to Toddler Sleep for you.

:-*
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline skatty

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: .... AND WE ARE BACK WITH MORE NWs
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:20:59 am »
Hi, I just wanted to say my DD got her first set of molars just after her 1st birthday ( they came before some of the front ones), I know that when she has had NWs like the ones you are describing they always end up being teething and numbing gel isn't enough to provide relief for long, can you try some meds just to rule the teething out? The other thing that springs to mind is a stomach ache due to a food intolerance, have you introduced something new?
Katt

Offline verytired

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:09:13 am »
Toddler!! Oh dear - I hadn't realised that !

skatty - Thats a great thought on the teething - I initially suspected teething because DS kept trying to bite me/the crib rails etc. We have a doctor's appointment in a couple of days so I will ask his doc for something for his pain.

I will let you know how things go!
Thanks,

Offline BugsMama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 16:43:34 pm »
re: the teething

We've had great success with Hyland's Teething Tablets.  We give him 4 tablets on the really rough nights and it does help

Offline verytired

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 17:46:58 pm »
well - I don't know what to say - DS has been sleeping through until about 6am for the last couple of nights!! I am begining to think that I have no control over what he does. But this is one change I am not complaining about:-) . He has to be the most independent 1 yo ever!
(Hopefully I haven't jinxed it)
Thanks,