Author Topic: Support and Chat thread for parents of Early Waking Toddlers #2  (Read 282289 times)

Offline blueangelmilw

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Support and Chat thread for parents of Early Waking Toddlers #2
« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2010, 13:20:19 pm »
Progress has been made!

DD slept until 6:15 this morning but -- more importantly -- woke up HAPPY! She woke up 3x last night, but managed to sooth herself back to sleep without my help. So, that's actually 2 wins in one night.

I'm convinced she was OT, because I extended 2 out of 3 of her last naps by over an hour each. She's been much happier.

We still have a way to go, but I'm encouraged by our progress already. Thanks!

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2010, 21:46:36 pm »
Since we went away for the weekend and created some OT we have been waking at 5amish but going back to sleep until 7 or even 8 and this is 10 days later!!! I give up.

Offline blueangelmilw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2010, 12:06:32 pm »
So much for progress. We're right back where we started. I know for sure that DD is teething. Yesterday, she complained that her mouth hurt. I've been giving her acetominophen at bedtime and when she wakes up, to help with the pain. She's still waking up 2x/night, and wakes very early. This morning, it was 4:43am!

DH and I both tried to get her back to sleep. I gave up at 6:30. She's obviously tired, but just won't sleep. She'll cry for a while, settle for a few minutes, then pop up and start talking or playing. When she wakes in the night, it can take anywhere from 30-90 minutes to get her back to sleep.

I'm so tired. She only gets 2 more hours of sleep than I do, so must be exhausted, too. Why won't she sleep??? I'm so tired and frustrated! Next week, I've got jury duty so won't be able to nap during the day when she does. And next weekend, I've got a dog show to run. I have no idea how I'm going to get through.

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #213 on: August 13, 2010, 12:11:49 pm »
(((hugs))) Teeth are really hard and the canines are the worst for most kids.  Have you tried alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen?  We had to do that with the molars.  You can give ibuprofen every 6 hrs and Tylenol every 4.  You can also do a DF of meds BEFORE she wakes in the night, it tops them up and they might make it through the lighter sleep phases. 

She wants to sleep but can't because she's in discomfort.  If you can imagine it's like asking us to sleep during labour, ok so teeth are not as bad as labour, but it might be in their world.  They just ache and can't do anything about it.

Is there any chance you and DH can share the load?  Like 1 of you does 2 night and then on the 3rd night the other person takes over and so forth.  That way you can get a couple of uninterrupted nights that allow you to catch up on your sleep debt. 
The tweaking never stops!

Offline blueangelmilw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #214 on: August 13, 2010, 20:30:50 pm »
Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the response!

DH works full time and I'm a SAHM, so I do my best to minimize his nighttime parenting during the week. I at least have the opportunity to nap during the week, although that prevents me from accomplishing anything around the house. But DH has to have his wits about him to drive to work and handle his job.

Taylor was a very colicky baby, who turned out to have a dairy allergy. When she was "colicky" (in pain from her allergy), the only way I could get her to sleep was by nursing. It became a habit, and it worked, so I never bothered to change it. It got to the point where she literally would only sleep for one sleep cycle and I had to nurse her back to sleep all night every night. Accidental parenting at it's finest! We implemented PU/PD in May. But I still nursed her down for naps and at bedtime.

A month ago, I phased out the pre-nap nursing without much trouble. Two weeks ago, I had to fully wean her because I started BCPs for our next IVF cycle. Since then, I've had to find more creative ways to get her to fall asleep. This week, I had been trying to get her to fall asleep more independently, but am now rethinking that. Initially, I thought she was just wanting more attention at night because she missed our nursing time together. But now that I know she's teething, I think I'll keep cuddling her whenever she needs it.

Once the tooth breaks through, I'll try to get her to fall asleep more independently. Until then, I'll do whatever it takes (within reason, of course) to keep her comfortable.

Today's good news is that I got her to take a 3-hour nap! That has only happened once before in her entire 21-month life! She woke up twice, but she was really crabby. So I just held her until she fell back to sleep (just a few minutes). The third time she awoke, she was happy, so I let her wake up and we had a nice lunch.

I'm a late-in-life Mum. Most of my friends are grandparents now, so I don't have many people to talk to about these things. I'm so glad these forums are here!

Cheri

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2010, 23:38:47 pm »
Hi there Cheri, sounds like you know exactly what she needs :-)  I'm a late in life mom too, although only 37 I feel 50 some days :-)  I get most of my help on this board really!

Offline blueangelmilw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #216 on: August 14, 2010, 20:26:30 pm »
I'm a late in life mom too, although only 37 I feel 50 some days :-)

Ah, you're just a pup!  ;)  I'm 45. One day last week, after a particularly awful night, I had big dark circles under my eyes. My chiropractor's receptionist actually asked if Taylor was my grandson! I've been a patient of theirs for years and she's, well, not the sharpest knife in the drawer. So I didn't take it personally. I was more annoyed that she called my adorable little girl who was wearing sparkly pink shoes with bows on them a boy!  :-\

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2010, 20:33:59 pm »
We are waking around 5am and then sleeping until 7am still. very odd. I am reluctant to wean the 5am feed because then he will wake for the day. I keep thinking I will wean in the week as I am up anyway for work, then I think I will wean at the weekend as I can nap in the day but at 5am I just think 5min boob and then another hr-2 sleep....ahh. I guess it is just habit. Maybe W2S?

Offline marlowsmom

• Sharon
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #218 on: August 29, 2010, 12:58:54 pm »
Hello Ladies,
I don't know if I have it as bad as some of you but I wanted to try to squash Marlow's 530am EW.    She's just recently made the jump to one nap a day.    Trying to squeeze in two naps in a day has become a challenge.    I only try to do two naps if she is seriously showing signs of OT (shorter naps and NW) but even those days are trying.    She isn't currently showing me signs that she is bothered by her teeth but she still has her upper molars and canines to contend with.     Even on the days that she was getting medicated she was still waking at 530am.    She's been waking at 530 for about 3 weeks now.   Her schedule is:

Awake 530
Nap 12-130/2
Bed 730

She's had a communication developmental leap right around when all this started.  So should I just suck it up with this or is there something I can do?

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #219 on: August 29, 2010, 13:07:30 pm »
I think you need earlier bedtime now.  Her first A is long to nap, and then if she's napping only 1.5 hrs most days, then you need a 7 bedtime, possibly earlier.

Offline marlowsmom

• Sharon
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2010, 20:27:00 pm »
Well, guess what?   She slept 2 hours yesterday, which I thought was a fluke, and today has been asleep for over 2 hours.   it's creeping up on 330pm so I'm going to wake her.   

Offline Shawn

• Shawn
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2010, 11:52:06 am »
Just read through part of this thread and noticed some similarities with our DS (17 months).  He's had lots of changes lately: transition to one nap, teeth, sister started preschool, and he has either a cold or allergies.  We've also been dealing with separation anxiety.

As much as we try he seems to be a 10 hour sleeper at night - sometimes less.  He has been pretty good since this summer at STTN.  Here is his schedule:

5:30   Awake
12:00 Nap
1:30   Awake
7:30   Asleep

So what to do?  We noticed the suggestion to have an earlier bedtime - afraid that will mean we are up at 5:00 instead of 5:30.  :)  Do we do W2S? Thanks, Shawn and Lori
Shawn

Offline marlowsmom

• Sharon
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #222 on: October 06, 2010, 12:25:26 pm »
Shawn
The EW is awful.    Marlow woke at 515am this morning.    I've been putting her to bed at 7pm because she's been so OT.   The last two days I finally found a way to get in two naps.   Her schedule now is

Awake 530 ish
A time 4.15 hrs
Nap 945am -1005 (for 20 min)
A time 3.5 hr
Nap 130ish (for about 1.5 hrs)
Bed 7pm

She's still EW but I'm guessing she's still has OT built up.   I'm sticking with this schedule for a few more days until I see an improvement.   I have in the past so now its just a waiting game.    Marlow has always been a EW though and seems to be a consistent 10.5 hr sleeper at night.

Your LO has really long A times.     How long has he been EW?    Have you ever done a short nap in the AM or PM in order to help him make it through to bedtime?   

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2010, 12:57:25 pm »
Shawn I have yet to find that an earlier bedtime when LO is OT means earlier wake up.  And with a kid who was up at 4:52 and 4:43 respectively last week...if anyone would be afraid I would be!  I've been living with EW for nearly 19 mths now.  Not fun I know.  I offer condolences and sympathy.  Finn is at best a 10.5 hr sleeper, we might squeeze an occasional 10.75 or 11 hr night, but by being really crafty and hitting the exact right bedtime.  Most nights it's 10 hrs and often less.  That's when we scramble and panic.

Honestly, that's a short nap and I think your LO needs more sleep.  First step would be to offer an earlier nap, try 11/11:30 - see if you can get a 2 hr or longer nap.  Then earlier bedtime, try it and see if you get a more restful, longer night.

(((hugs)))

Offline Shawn

• Shawn
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #224 on: October 06, 2010, 18:07:50 pm »
I remember your child's name, Finn, from some earlier posts!!  Thanks for the continued help.  I'll try the earlier nap time when I can.  Some days I have to pick up our daughter from preschool at 11:45 so it is impossible to do the 11/11:30 naptime. 

On a side note, today will be interesting.  I was at a bible study this morning and our DS, Seth, fell asleep at 10:30.  The bible study ended at 11:00.  So he will have 1/2 hour nap today unless he falls asleep in the car when I have to run an errand for my sister later today. Ahhhhh..  What to do?  The cycle just continues. 

I'll keep you posted.  I know this is temporary.  At least I keep telling myself that.  What strikes fear in me though is that we fall back in a month and it will be 4:30 am instead of 5:30 when he wakes!!! 
Shawn