Author Topic: Support and Chat thread for parents of Early Waking Toddlers #2  (Read 281300 times)

Offline Reubensmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Support and Chat thread for parents of Early Waking Toddlers #2
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2009, 10:11:58 am »
Hi EloysH - Reuben usually wakes around 7, then goes back for nap at 9ish (Some days he doesn't nap here as I am trying to drop it, but most days he is really tired, thumb in, twiddling hair and head on my lap), then he sleeps for about an hour until 10. Play for couple hours, then lunch around 12noon. Then nap again after lunch about 1pm or 1.30pm, he may sleep for an hour, sometimes hour half. Then he plays all afternoon, has tea about 5, bath and milk about 6.30-7, then bed..!

So, on the mornings when he wakes at 5.ish, I put him back to nap by 8ish as he is shattered, and he will sleep often for 2 hours cos of EW.  His routine continues pretty much as before but I bring his lunch forward to about 11.30 so he can have his lunchtime nap earlier.

He always seems to be teething... I never usually know unless he has hot cheeks. A friend told me they can still be teething without hot cheeks - if this is the case, how can I know if he is teething?

Bit of a loss.
  :-\

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2009, 10:44:40 am »
Reuben you may be better to try the toddler sleep boards to get some advice on your routine.  Form my own experience I would say that the first npa is too early, he is catching up his lost night time sleep with that first nap.  So in essence he will EW again, cause he gets to catch it up each day.

Maybe try to push that first nap a little later each day so that it is at least 3 hours after waking. That he is forced to make up his sleep in at night.    He is probably getting heaps of sleep during tha day so that's why he can early wake if he wants. 

as for teething...   feel for the lumps on their gums or the swellings.  I watch my LO's behaviour closely when I noticve extra clinginess, frustration with toys, crabbiness, I suspect teething, then within a few days my suspicions become realised when I find the lump on his gums.  Now I have seem it so often that I just know as soon as he starts behaving in that more agressive, frustrated way and needing Mumma more he is teething... and he usually I am right, as a tooth appears within a few weeks.

Offline Sima

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2009, 16:30:46 pm »
HI Eloysh! Thanks, you are absolutely right, her naps are all over the place because going by A time.  I need to make her nap later and bedtime later.  I had problems though..started short napping and EW.  I have to try again though. 
Did your daughter EW and short nap too?
I am going to try again because driving me insane. 
You said it took you two weeks.  Can you tell me exactly how you went about it??  Thank you!

Offline Sima

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2009, 15:00:34 pm »
So frustrated lo OT sensitivity.  She is getter better but has been frustrated.  It seems that she is OT/UT.  I have gone by A times because doing clock for 1 month made her extremely OT and backfired.   It seems if she goes to bed 10-15 later then wakes up earlier and short naps.  Today woke up at 5.  What do most do???
I have her an early nap because if later then she will be more OT..never stops it seems!!!!  And then I give her a second catnap because she hardly ever sleeps more than 1 hour.
Her A time is 6 and 5.5--she seems to do well. 

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2009, 15:15:42 pm »
I'm cross posting here, but having been getting better mornings (6.30ish, one day even 7) but mostly still at 5.30am. I'm waiting for the clocks to change at the end of March now, but not sure what to do as I really don't want an 8.30pm bedtime and I'm just not convinced that 10 hours is enough night sleep!

Offline Sima

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2009, 02:52:34 am »
Hi!  I wanted to ask if most of you go btc or A time with Early risers?
I tried btc & had an OT child--tried for 1 month to forward her day.
For a 27 year old child with 5-6 wake up, what schedule would be good--she is very sensitive to OT so when I move A times, she short naps and wakes up even earlier-4ish!

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2009, 05:45:34 am »
reuben,

my lO was one one nap  his routine used to look like this:

6am wake  (but had become 5-5:30am for about a month)
11am nap (2 hours)
7pm bed

over two weeks I moved both the nap and bedtime later so it looks like this:

6:45-7:15am wake
12:30pm nap  (1.5 - 2 hours)
7:45am bed

this seems to have solved the EW's/  I moved moth nap and bedtime forward in 15  min increments.

Offline Sima

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2009, 14:59:25 pm »
Hi again, bit desparate and need some help if possible. 
Anyone answer my last post???? Much appreciated, cookoo mommy!

Offline katakow2

• Sara
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2009, 19:18:11 pm »
Sima,
I do a little bit of both- I keep a window of time and then use A times to fit naps/bedtime within there.  So nap 1 begins between 9:30-10:30 am and nap 2 begins between 2:30-3:30 pm-ish.  We're still hanging onto two naps because of the EW's and the standard 10 hrs of night sleep.   DS is also very sensitive to OT. 

Not letting ds nap any earlier than 9:30 am, even on really early mornings, has helped a lot.  Those mornings are a little rougher, but if we can survive that, generally the next morning is better.  When it doesn't improve the next morning, I do usually have to do some APOP to catch him up on sleep or it goes from bad to worse FAST!!!  Sara :)

Offline Sima

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2009, 01:38:06 am »
Hi Katawow!
Thanks for sharing that!  How old is you lo??  Does your lo short nap too due OT?

Offline katakow2

• Sara
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2009, 11:19:51 am »
My ds just turned 14 mo.  He always resists sleep and short naps when OT.  It took me a looooong time to figure out what works to push his routine forward (which he so obviously needed/needs again here) but keep the OT monster at bay.   
Are you stuck in an OT cycle? 

Offline Sima

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2009, 12:10:22 pm »
Katawow, I am not sure..it seems she had been OT since newborn!!!!!  Maybe will always be this way until she gets older!

Offline katakow2

• Sara
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2009, 18:41:03 pm »
Sima, Boy do I know how you feel!  DS is the same way :) although I'm FINALLY confident that he's not OT right now.

Offline Sima

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2009, 22:31:55 pm »
katakow, that is GREAT that you know you lo is not OT..great feeling!!!

Offline Sima

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2009, 16:40:32 pm »
oh boy, need some guidance please!!!
I have been going by A times for a while.  But when she wakes up at 5, then her naps are too early and then bedtime is too early and EW.  Should I stick to one set nap time regardless of OT--short napping etc?????  What does everyone else do?
Yesterday:
Wake up 6
Down at 11.30-12.30
Catnap 6-6.20
Bedtime 8.15

She sleeps 11 at night usuall and 1 hour naps.  Again, she super sensitive to OT.

Wake today 6.20
But I can't see myself doing catnaps like this often.