Author Topic: Support and Chat thread for parents of Early Waking Toddlers #2  (Read 281679 times)

Offline lady5280

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Support and Chat thread for parents of Early Waking Toddlers #2
« Reply #330 on: July 02, 2013, 19:49:38 pm »
Hi all, another mom with an earlybird here. My guy has been waking anywhere from 5-5:30 (sometimes earlier on those esp horrendous days lol). Has been this way for several weeks with the exception of a few mornings here or there where he slept later (with no obvious reason). There was a spell where he was sleeping later and later to the point where naps/BT got later too, which was fine bc if I can sleep past 6:30am I am a happy camper. Thought that was the key until he slowly went back to EWs again. Everyone says keep him up later, but I know that's not how my little guy works. He take one nap about 7 hours after waking in the morning, then BT is about 5 hours after nap. BT usually happens close to 8pm. Something I should just ride out, since I know he can sleep later and has shown me in the past? BTW, he has all the stuff of good sleep- fan, white noise machine, blackout curtains.

Another thing, could this be related to potty training? We did EC from a young age and he has slowly started to PT himself- we recently began official PT and I'm wondering if he's waking bc he needs to potty, then just can't resettle after?

Offline lady5280

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #331 on: July 02, 2013, 19:53:03 pm »
Forgot to add, he is STILL trying to cut last canine, and has yet to show signs of 2-yr molars. Last night he woke at 11pm too, which is odd as we hardly ever have NW anymore (thank god). Asked for milk and water. We are still nursing here so I gave him a little and he went right back down.

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #332 on: July 02, 2013, 20:36:51 pm »
Hi there! My daughter is a little bit younger than your guy and she would definitely be overtired on that sleep pattern. Has he always been lower sleep needs?

Would you consider trying to give dream meds at say 2.30am to rule out tooth pain as a cause? Also, he is old enough to understand the concept of a Groclock, or lights on a timer, if you want to try that route. That worked brilliantly with my son from about 23 months, many have success from younger than that.

Have you tried an early night, to see if he will catch up on some sleep? If my girl was up at 5am I would have her asleep in bed by 6pm at the absolute latest.

Offline lady5280

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #333 on: July 03, 2013, 18:00:48 pm »
Yes, he is definitely lower sleep needs! He almost never had a 12-hour days/nights once he was in a routine. Last night I put him down at 7:15 and he rolled around chatting happily for 30 minutes before falling asleep! So I assume he isn't OT or he would prob be crying and fighting it more. Also, he seems fine all day temperamentally. He always needs 5 hours before bed or he just isn't ready. The morning nap could maybe be pushed up a little, but often he sleeps 2-3 hours so there just isn't time for an early BT. Overall he is getting 12 hours of sleep in a 24-hour period, which has been pretty consistent for quite some time. Just wish he would sleep in a bit and maybe have a shorter nap or something!

Offline linsn884

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #334 on: August 14, 2013, 20:38:25 pm »
My 3 year old has started waking up every morning at 545. This started about a month ago- before that he would sleep till 7/7:30- sometimes even 8. He is wide awake but super ornery- so I know he is still tired. He takes about an hour nap a day and doesn't go to bed till around 10:30/11 (that's a whole other issue!) I can't imagine that 7 hours plus a 1 hr nap is sufficient sleep for a 3 year old. Any suggestions on how to change this??

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #335 on: August 16, 2013, 08:49:17 am »
Linsn884 I would drop the nap

Offline linsn884

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #336 on: August 19, 2013, 19:47:11 pm »
Anna*

I have tried dropping the nap but when I do he is even more ornery. (if that's even possible!)  The babysitter says he has a hard time concentrating on activities and getting along with the other kids if he doesn't nap. He will then fall asleep at 6pm on the way home from the babysitter. I have tried playing games, talking to him- nothing seems to help him stay awake for the 20 min drive. We then get home and he wakes up and cries and throws an absolute fit. I can tell he is OT but I don't know how to calm him down. If I can manage to keep him asleep and bring him in the house- he is up an hour or so later- usually crying and then doesn't want to go back to sleep. (He is a highly spirited child)

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #337 on: August 19, 2013, 19:50:30 pm »
Have you tried a Groclock or similar? I still think I'd drop the nap and push through, with a Groclock or lights on a timer. Yes he will be OT if he's EWing and not napping, but eventually it will have to catch up on him and he'll do a longer night to catch up.

Offline shirat

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #338 on: October 21, 2013, 16:05:44 pm »
my 2.5 yr old has been waking around 5:30 ever since we dropped her nap in march! sooo annoying, i am really dreading changing the clocks, since now i can say its still night time go back to bed!

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #339 on: December 30, 2013, 04:49:21 am »
Hi not sure if this board is still active. My dd is currently 12 mth 1 week old. Struggling with EW as she is down to one nap and currently teething at the moment. I was told teething usually causes EW. She usually wakes up between 6/0630 since on one nap but now 0530. She is not very reliable in tacking on sleep if she has slept e ought she will only do 11hr. She is also just recovered from a stomach bug. Bedtime is also a nightmare taking forever to sleep which I suspect is teething. Last night only has 10.5 hr :-( woke up at 0540. So lost. Any tricks and ideas to solve this yet? Anyone found a magic cure? Lol wish is that simple isn't it. *sigh* well at least I know I am not the only one.

Offline Lovejoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #340 on: January 21, 2014, 12:04:12 pm »
my darling nearly 20 month old has been EW since 9 months - anytime between 5am - 545am.  We had her one nap at 11 months, as advised to here - she sleeps 2 hour naptime (12pm) and then bedtime is 7pm.  We've kept naptime so late from WU as we were told not to let her latch on night sleep onto naptime.  Has made no difference.

We don't let her "start" the day officially until 6am, ie then we feed/switch on lights, go downstairs - until then we say lie down, which she will do and can lie silently for 10 mins, but i don't think she snoozes then.  She does wake up cranky, so i know she is not getting enough sleep, and she screams for those settle down/lie down moments before she lies down.  (it's hard as she can disturb our other children's sleep - in separate room).

Should I try early nap early bedtime (although I worry that will give us a 4am waker!!)
Do I accept that she'll be like this for a while - I can't bear to!
Extremely tired mummy (and daddy)

Offline kittyverde

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #341 on: January 22, 2014, 12:06:18 pm »
Lovejoy, I have been battling the EWs since my LO was 10 months. He is now 2 and sleeps until 6:30 unless something happens and he gets too tired. As soon as he gets just a little OT, he starts waking at 5:30, like clockwork. And when that happens I shoot to put him to bed 15-30 minutes earlier and then viola!- the next morning he wakes at 6:30. It goes against all of my common sense but that extra 15 minutes at night really makes all the difference. Once he sleeps in a bit, I would also work to get the midday nap a little later, but very incrementally- like 12:05, the next day 12:10, etc. I have found the later nap helps the EW. My LO naps at 1pm and goes to bed at 7:15, asleep by 7:30.

Offline Lovejoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #342 on: January 24, 2014, 11:38:09 am »
Hi Kittyverde, thanks for replying :)

I tried EBT by 15 mins and she woke up 445 am!  I did persevere yesterday and did nap 11.30-1.30 and bedtime 6.30, she did wake up 530 but at least she actually had 11 hours solid sleep.

Husband thinks we should shave off 30 mins of naptime..it might be worth trying as nothing else does!  What would you say?

thanks

Offline kittyverde

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #343 on: January 24, 2014, 11:56:41 am »
Oh no!  8) your worst fears were realized!

A longer nap definitely correlates to less nighttime sleep in our house so sounds like it is worth a try. And even if you don't do an extra early bedtime tonight I would try to be sure your LO is in bed at the normal time...you know how these little ones can make procrastinating an art form! Good luck!

My friend said that around 2yo her daughter started being more predictable, ie) if they kept her up late, she would wake up late. I am hoping that might happen soon because sometimes I would love to have an evening out looking at the stars and not being panicked about getting home.

Anyone have similar experiences? Or has your child stayed sensitive to the slightest OT?

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #344 on: January 24, 2014, 12:32:07 pm »
My daughter was prone to EW until around 22 months I think when we got a gro clock.  That really helped.  I think as she passed 2 years old she started to drop her nap as well so we had to cap her nap. It was definitely gone by the time she was 2 and a quarter / 2 and a half.  We haven't had any EWs since then so either it was her nap always causing EWs when they occurred or it was the gro clock.... Either way she's now 4 and still sleeps 11.5 - 12 hours a night,  so there is hope! My son on the other hand.... He's lsn so EWs are just a standard night for him. We're nearing the end of the 2-1 at the moment and I just have a feeling that even on one nap 10.5-11 hours a night will be standard... I'm holding out til he's 2 and I suspect his nap will be gone and I can get a gro clock for him!