Author Topic: 7 week old - Hayfever?!  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« on: September 10, 2008, 14:46:29 pm »
I'm pretty sure my LO has hayfever - I have always suffered from it badly, and although we thought he had caught my current cold, his eyes seem red and itchy, watery, he's only stuffed up at night and in the morning, etc.  I've thought it a few times before in the past couple of weeks when he seemed congested during his NW but it was ever too bad to really worry about. This week his congestion has gotten so bad at night that he wakes up at the same times (10pm and 1230pm-ish) crying because he's so congested.

Anyone experienced hayfever in such a young LO (7 weeks) - and what can I do to help him out?  Saline drops don't do much and I have one of those things to suck mucous out of his nose, but as we can't see the mucous, we've not tried it yet (it says only put it at the outside of his nose....)

Thanks

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: 7 week old - Hayfever?!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 17:56:15 pm »
They say it is impossible for such young babies to develop enviromental allergies.  I personally do not agree.

My oldest son (now 3) was like that from a couple weeks old.  He still has allergies now.  His eyes water a lot, sneeze, congested, etc.

One other thing that can cause all those symptoms though is an allergy to a food.  Do you nurse or formula?

A lot of little ones that have an allergy or intolerance to milk, have those exact same symptoms.  It is the bodies way of fighting off the toxin (the milk).

Let me know about formula or BF.  If formula, what kind you are on.  If BF, do you eat dairy?

Sometimes when your lo has a cold or a lot of mucus, removing dairy can help. 

Other than that, you can only really do saline drops, run really hot showers and let them breath in the steam, and run a cool mist humidifier in their room.

Oh also, try elevating the matress.  You can put pillows under it and the pillows under the sheet at his feet to prevent him from sliding down.  This will keep his head up and help with that.

Hugs to you, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 19:45:59 pm »
Thanks Wendy. 

I breastfed for 2 weeks and he's been on formula since then.  We use Aptamil but his symptoms don't seem to go hand in hand with eating - as in, they are getting worse this week even though he is eating less with not feeling well. 

I've been wanting to ask my HV about allergies for a couple of weeks but had to keep re-arranging the next appt with her, and then DH and I both caught colds this week and it's possible that DS has it.  BUT, he seems to only be congested first thing in the morning and late at night, which is when my allergies typically strike.  What made me suspect it was when I was doing night feeds and when I got up to feed him, my nose was running and he seemed a bit snuffly.  As my allergies are getting worse so is his congestion....BUT could be that he has a cold.  His red eyes could be conjunctivitis from the cold, if that's what it is.  So hard to tell.  I suppose I need to wait it out a week to see if it goes away then it was a cold...

It's heartbreaking when he wakes at midnight with this stuffed up cry that to me says "Mommy I just want to sleep and I just feel so crap!" He buries his head in my chest and cries this tiny little wail as he's sniffing a nose full. :'(

We have his moses basket on an angle with a couple of books at one end to prop it up, this morning he woke up cramped down at the bottom in a little ball!   :o

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: 7 week old - Hayfever?!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 20:36:21 pm »
If it does not clear up in 2 weeks, then you could be safe to say it is allergies.  Sounds like he caught your cold though.

Try putting a little rolled up towel or blanket under the mattress at his feet.  This will keep him from slipping down.

Let us know how he is doing. 

WENDY
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!