Author Topic: 3 to 2 nap switch for 7.5 month old  (Read 792 times)

Offline QuinnMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 11, 2008, 14:01:54 pm »
Hi, I've been posting on the PU/PD board (we mostly have that sorted out!) then the night waking board, and they recommended I post here. My problem seems to be that my LO seems to be in the 3 to 2 nap switch, and in the process he's become OT. Sometimes he takes the catnap, some days he doesn't. This has been going on for about 3 weeks now, and he's been catnapping about half the days. I think the problem is that he can only really do 2.5 h A time in the morning (I've already extended this from 2h), then he can do 3-3.25 before his second nap. Unfortunately, since his naps are only 1.25-1.5 h, this leave too much time before BT. Yesterday was a prime example:
6am wake up
6 am - wake
6:30 BF
7:30 solids
(A 2:30 hours)
8:30 - nap 1 (1.25h)
10:30 BF
12:30 solids
(A 3:10 hours)
1pm - nap 2 (1.25h)
2:30 BF
4:30 solids
5:00 start betime routine
5:30 BF
(A 3:45 hours)
6:00 asleep

Last night he woke at 8:30 for 10 min, 9pm for 10 min, 10:00 (DF, so I woke him for that), woke up again at 10:35 (15 min after going back to sleep after DF), 12:00, then he slept fitfully until 4:50. Each NW was only about 10 min for my DH to resettle him. Then at 4:50, I went in to settle him then and he fell back to sleep in 20 min. He woke again 10 min later, settled himself in 5 min, woke again 5 min later! So I went in and changed him (his diaper had leaked a little) and nursed him. I couldn't get him back to sleep after that. So, essentially, he's been up since 4:50am!
Then at 7:30, I nursed him again (to try to get him back closer to the BF schedule for the day), and he fell asleep. I put him in his crib at 7:40, but he only slept for 20 min! (His diaper had leaked again...I have no idea why this is happening all of a sudden, but I got him bigger diapers this morning, hopefully that helps!). I"m not sure if diaper leak is why he woke up or if it was just more OT.

He's back asleep now (9:50am), so hopefully this will be a longer nap and we can count the 7:40 nap as his catnap!

How should I be handling his days? If he wakes up at 2:15pm from his second nap (like he often does if he wakes at 6am), then I could offer him the catnap at ~4:30 (he wouldn't sleep earlier than that), but then he won't go to bed until 7:30, which is a long day. I tried that approach for the previous two days, and we only got one NW, but he did still wake up at 6am the next morning, which I'm worried is not enough night sleep.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Rebecca

Offline brenda2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 227
Re: 3 to 2 nap switch for 7.5 month old
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 02:44:21 am »
it actually sound s like a NW issues to me...how are you resettling him when he wakes at night?  do you think it's the OT causing the NWs?

1.25 hour naps actually mean he's slightly UT and could handle more A time.  if  you extend a bit more do you get a shorter nap or have you tried?  the long stretch before bed is probably your problem and if you work on pushing back the first 2 naps to even out the A times a bit to closer to 3 hours for each one this would work better.

Offline *Nicola*

• Showing Appreciation 429
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:22:04 am »
:)  Hiya Rebecca and Brenda,

Just wanted to clarify that I advised Brenda to post over here with regard to extending out those A times and naps to stop that long last A time before bed.  :) 

xx
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline brenda2

• Showing Appreciation 227
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 14:13:59 pm »
yes, i agree , you shouldn't have such a long stretch of A time before bed.