Author Topic: messy play - ideas?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline legend_018

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« on: September 15, 2008, 00:49:41 am »
I know Chayse is eager to do messy play. we do playdough, but I keep telling her not too eat it and she keeps on munching on it. I have paints, but I tell her not to paint her body and she does. She also won't just put one finger in the paint and paint the picture, the ENTIRE paint cup has to be poured out and than she plays with it. I guess that's fine, just more of a mess.

Are there any ideas on messy play? What about where? It can't be outside.

I also have a 1 year old who trys climbing the highchair I put Chayse in to play with stuff. The tray on the highchair is big but doesn't seem big enough sometimes. definetely dilemma here. She does sit at the sink and help clean dishes and plays with the water and helps me cook sometimes as well as other things when she's in the mood.
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:01:06 am »
My SIL suggested one of those paint-with-water books.  DD loves it. I put a tiny bit of water in the cupholder of her high chair, (otherwise she would dump out/drink the water) give her a paintbrush and as you paint the picture, the color develops (the paint is built into the paper) and she loves it.  The paintbrush is often in her mouth, but it's non-toxic. 
Also dd (20 mos) just discovered stickers....oh boy...LOVES them!  Went to the dollar store today and got a bunch....she puts them on paper, herself, anywhere....not sure how old your lo is, but HTH!

Offline aidliz

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 02:11:43 am »
For your highchair issue...the one we have is adjustable so I set so it can be pushed up to the table.  You can get one of the boosters that strap to a chair, they can also be strapped in, they are great my mom has one for dd.

Stamps are fun...there are washable inks, they are messy but the ink washes off pretty easily.  Dd likes to rub the ink on her arms  ::)  A chalkoard is fun and the chalk washes off easily.  Dd drew many murils on our walls and ds would go around cleaning it off with a sponge.  Sidewalk chalk is great.

Glue sticks...not sure if they are toxic :-\  we have little foam shapes, they glue them to paper or themselves.

Magnadoodle...not messy but fun.

My dd is the messiest messy player ever, she also loves to paint and color her body so I make sure I only let her have the messy stuff when I have enough time to throw her in for a quick bath.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: messy play - ideas?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 02:32:24 am »
if you can't go outside for messy play you coudl put down a giant messy mat or tarp on your kitchen floor and set her up there (or in a paddling pool on that space)

messy ideas: shaving cream pictures, pudding painting, finger painting using edible/safe for mouths paint, body paints in the bathtub followed immediately by a bath
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified