Author Topic: DVD recommendations - 15 mo  (Read 2429 times)

Offline verytired

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: November 02, 2008, 23:22:39 pm »
hello ,

We are taking our 15 mo SPIRITED DS on a 10 hr plane ride to France and we are taking a DVD player along (as a last resort/ in the event of a complete meltdown etc). DS has never seen DVDs or even the TV so I bought a Barney DVD to see how he liked it. He watched for a few minutes, said Barney a few times and then lost interest. I wonder if the songs in Barney are too complicated for him IYKWIM. Does anybody have recommendations for other DVDs that we can get. I think DS would prefer something with fewer/more familiar images - Animals (Old macdonald), the alphabet, maybe a DVD with common nursery rhymes (DS loves BaaBaa black sheep).

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

PS: I am not sure if I am posting in the right place so please move as needed

daybyday

Re: DVD recommendations - 15 mo
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 23:33:57 pm »
Baby Einstein, Toupee and Binoo....Blue's Clues.....those are ones my DS around that age

Good luck on your flight!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 01:25:14 am »
Baby Einstein, definately!!! Masyn has been watching them forever and never gets bored of them...we have Baby MacDonald, which he would probably love and one about sign language. They really keep her attention(spirited, too!) on long car trips.

Heidi
Heidi

Offline Joey'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:29:49 am »
Joey's favorite Baby Einsteins at that age were Mozart, Beethoven, and Shakespeare.  VanGogh was another one he liked.  Blue's Clues was HUGE, and also Little Bear.  Little Bear has a strange, hypnotically soothing quality to it!
Mary Pat

daybyday

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:06:25 am »
ooooo MaryPat, I agree, Little Bear does seem to have a soothing quality to it!

Offline aidliz

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 04:12:19 am »
Little Bear is so sweet, we love it.  Sesame Stree is fantastic.  At that age my dd loved Blues Room, it is a spin off of blues clues, it is not animated its puppets, very cute.  My neice has an animal dvd, it is very cute not sure of the name, if you are intereste I can ask sil.  I could never find animal movies that didnt have killing in it.  This one is for children.  Baby Einstein is also good, make sure you get the right age group, it makes a difference.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 09:04:30 am »
at that age Baby einstein and wiggles were the key

of baby einstein for 12-18 mo i highly recommend the baby macdonald (farm animals), Baby neptune (all about water) and Baby newton (shapes).  we were sent lots of them as gifts from home as they were expensive here when alex was little so i have about 8 of them.  those 3 would be great for a 15 mo old.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Joey'sMom

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 12:09:17 pm »
at that age Baby einstein and wiggles were the key

of baby einstein for 12-18 mo i highly recommend the baby macdonald (farm animals), Baby neptune (all about water) and Baby newton (shapes).  we were sent lots of them as gifts from home as they were expensive here when alex was little so i have about 8 of them.  those 3 would be great for a 15 mo old.

Is Baby Newton the one with dancing crayons?  We had this amazing nanny when Joey was that age and she used to dance along with the crayons.  Coming home was a riot, seeing the dancing crayons, the funny nanny, and my little boy all grooving to music! :)
Mary Pat

Offline Deb_in_oz

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 12:11:36 pm »
yep - i could probably still sing some of those songs

Offline hattie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • I swore I'd never use a dummy
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 12:32:54 pm »
you gotta love those crayons and that crazy looking clown, all together now, "I know my shapes....etc etc."
Dante loves Pingu and another one called IglooGloo...he is 13 months now and his favourite Baby einsteins are currently baby macdonald, baby noah, neighbourhood animals and world animals.  you can buy the whole set on amazon.co.uk for £20!!!! but you need a uk address to have it sent to...I had it sent to my mum...
[img width= height=]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/foxfoxard20070922_0_Dante+is.png[/img][img width= height= alt=baby" border="0]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/eleeleabu20080913_-8_Julius+Ray.png[/img][/url]

Offline Deb_in_oz

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 12:40:47 pm »
yeah we have neighbourhood and world animals too plus galileo (about stars and planets), monet (about seasons - the girls still watch this one and neptune at 3 and 5yo), and language nursery (all foreign languages - alex never liked it as a baby but recently found it and has picked it at least 3 or 4 times this year)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 18:40:21 pm »
We have "Language Nursery" too, someone bought it for the baby, but of course Masyn had to watch it, and then she started saying the alphabet in french all on her own!!! It's very boring for me to watch, but she sat slacked-jawed in front of it and never moved -a rare thing!!

Heidi
Heidi

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 07:32:18 am »
I would recommend Maisy Mouse dvds and The Wheels on the Bus which is animated and narrated by Dawn French and has lots of nursery rhymes in. My DD's favourite BE has always been Neighbourhood Animals followed by Numbers Nursery.

Also not everyone approves but most kids LOVE Teletubbies, they were the first dvds to actually engage Leorah for more than a few minutes, probably would be a good idea to try a few dvds befre you go as I know my DD takes a while to warm up to most of hers and then goes crazy for them and wants to watch the same one over and over again  ::)
Katt

Offline verytired

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 20:32:53 pm »
hi ladies - thank you for your suggestions.

I got baby einstein - beethovan for DS. He sat in front of it for about 3 min and then started pushing all the buttons on the DVD player. Then he realised that the DVD player screen rotates and he went bonkers playing with the screen **sigh**. On the other hand I actually liked the DVD. Maybe DS just needs to see it a few times to get used to it. So now he gets to watch the DVD for about 20 min each day. Hopefully he will start enjoying - if not I don't know what we will do with a high-energy 15 mo on a 10 hr flight!!!! I am also going to get him the Neighbourhood animals because he loves animals.

I love the Wheels on the Bus suggestion and my SIL has one for DS but she won't be able to send it to us in time and I don't want to buy another one.

I will let you know how the flight goes - if I survive!

em_here

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 20:34:45 pm »
The wiggles is always good entertainment :)