Author Topic: Violent allergy to probiotics?  (Read 7668 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« on: November 06, 2008, 13:23:39 pm »
Talking Jenn... she was a bacterial infection a few weeks ago, needed antibiotics and the doctor recommended probiotics to prevent the side effects and vaginal thrush  :-X

Now, she can't go near the stuff, she'll go BEETROOT RED from head to foot and terrible itchy, her eyes go puffy, her scalp, ears, back of the neck, chin and knuckles start bleeding, etc.

Anything as good as probiotics?

Offline maggie2

• Showing Appreciation 63
Re: Violent allergy to probiotics?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 13:38:36 pm »
What are the ingredients listed?  Is there anything under the 'other ingredients' category - I would assume that a reaction like that would be caused by some sort of allergic substance, not a strain of bacteria...  you may want to try a different brand.

But if you think that's too risky, yogurt, or especially kefir would help if you can find it - it's much like yogurt but is stronger as far as the probiotics go.  Tastes like a tangy yogurt.

If you don't do dairy, I also think miso has some friendly bacteria - it's the paste you buy in a little tub - you can dissolve a bit in some hot (not boiling) water to make a broth - tastes good!  miso soup ;D 

Offline Leesa

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • "I hope you dance..."
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 14:19:28 pm »
It depends where you bought it. Many people are catching on to the probiotics craze and are making subpar types of probiotics - many of which haven't had all the pathogens from the healthy bacteria cleaned out.

Things to look for in a good probiotic:

1 - Must be refrigerated.
2 - Must be viable microorganisms
3 - Use a trusted brand name - Natural Factors, Udo's Choice, Enzymatic Therapy & Nutrition Now are a few that come to mind.

Sorry she had such a bad reaction. Hope you figure out the cause  :-*

Lisa
Madison-Spirited/Textbook 2.75 years old
Brayden-Angel 8 years old

Offline Shdef

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 15:01:37 pm »
It was Yakult  ??? And a few weeks later Kefir (well, organic Ayran). Odd

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 15:05:45 pm »
I would not try again personally.  That was a fairly serious reaction you describe, who know what (if any) will happen next time.  My Nana swore by yogurt each day while on the antibio. 

How old is Jenn again?

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Leesa

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • "I hope you dance..."
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 17:48:01 pm »

I have never heard of either.

Probiotics are most often recommended to be used AFTER the antibiotics have been completed.  The reason for this, is the two can interact with each other and reactions can occur.  Which is, I assume, what happened here.  Antibiotics kill both the good and bad bacteria, so the body becomes a very hostile environment and creates reactions of its own.  Best to wait until after the antibiotics are completed so the body has a chance to do one thing at a time. 

Chances of reacting that way to friendly gut bacteria are very rare, unless Jenn is immunosuppressed (very weak immune system)?

Lisa

Offline Shdef

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 17:50:40 pm »
She is fifteen. With the Yakult it took around six months until it cleared up completely and she didn't attend school then. That was 2.5 years ago though. The risks are just too high and Yakult doesn't have additives, does it? She does react to them, too, just not as violently.

Is there anything that does the same job as probiotics?

I have never heard of either.

Probiotics are most often recommended to be used AFTER the antibiotics have been completed.  The reason for this, is the two can interact with each other and reactions can occur.  Which is, I assume, what happened here.  Antibiotics kill both the good and bad bacteria, so the body becomes a very hostile environment and creates reactions of its own.  Best to wait until after the antibiotics are completed so the body has a chance to do one thing at a time. 

Chances of reacting that way to friendly gut bacteria are very rare, unless Jenn is immunosuppressed (very weak immune system)?

Lisa

Oh, the first reaction she got without any antibiotics, at that point she had never taken them. Ayran is Turkish Yoghurt, a little bit like Kefir, Yakult is supposed to be pure probiotics.

Offline Leesa

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • "I hope you dance..."
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 18:22:52 pm »
Is Yakult that stuff that you drink, like milk? This stuff? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakult

If it is, that is a lot of sugar and dairy to be taking in when in such a fragile condition - susceptible to yeast overgrowth. 

Maybe stick with something that has nothing but probiotics.  Something that reads more like a supplement than a milkshake.  I use Udo's Choice for myself and the kids.

Lisa

Offline Shdef

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 18:28:35 pm »
The thing is... the first time she took it, she was not in a fragile condition at all. She isn't now either, but she gets those imbalances and thrush is a nag. What's Udo' Choice? I'll look that up actually. Oh, and she is alright with dairy, no problems there, even made a test.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 21:43:32 pm »
Hi Steffi:

YIKES.  I have never heard of a reaction like that, but I am sure it could happen.

I agree with Zoey, I don't think I would risk it either.  I would stick with good old yogurt. 

I am a true believer of probiotics, but have never had a reaction happen to my kids either.

Like Leesa said though, you have to be careful when chosing them.  I had to always make sure they were refrigrated, live bacteria in them and no diary/soy/fish etc.

I would want to know too what caused this.  Can you send a link to the exact probiotics you gave her.  Just sounds like something in there, she is reacting too.  I don't think it would be the actual bacteria itself because our body naturally has it.  It may be what the bacteria is grown on and how they culture it.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Shdef

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 05:25:24 am »
Thanks everyone. Don't think we'll risk it again either. The reaction is a mixture of a 'normal' allergic reaction (itchiness all over) and quite violent eczema, that's why it happens like that.

Quote (selected)
Yakult is made from a mixture of skimmed milk powder, sugar and water which is ultra-heat treated, then fermented using  our live probiotic strain  called Lactobacillus casei Shirota. We add nature-identical flavours, then pour the Yakult into our unique little bottles. From start to finish, it takes about a week.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:28:09 am by Steffi »

Offline maggie2

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 17:52:03 pm »
Usually when you're trying to repopulate the digestive system with good bacteria after a course of antibiotics, the best way to do it is with a supplement - like a pill.  Since the yakult has additional ingredients, I would try getting a good probiotic (capsule/pill form) and see if that helps.  Like a pp mentioned, look for a good one - usually the good ones are refrigerated, etc.  someone posted a list of what to look for. 

Again, if it was the yakult that she reacted to, I would try the capsules - that's what I thought you were talking about in the first place.  If it was the capsules she reacted to, then yes, I would probably steer clear of those, too...