Author Topic: which cup do you use for milk?  (Read 4215 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Re: which cup do you use for milk?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 14:43:58 pm »
thanks everyone :)
Well I bought the cow cup that Anna suggested today too. It took DS until he was a year (oh yes!) to drink from a sippy at all and now he thinks it is the greatest thing ever although he now enjoys getting the dustbin lid, dragging it across the floor and shaking his sippy until loads of water comes out onto the lid which he then splashes his hands about in....(sigh!)
So yes Liz I kind of want to use a different cup for milk. Maybe it is my type A personality but I quite like to have a different cup for water and milk - not quite sure why though :)
bx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 18:45:08 pm »
Can I just ask if I am doing the right thing. My plan is to just offer milk in the sippy every am. If he does not take it I will put it in a bottle but if I keep trying I am hoping one day he will go for it. Is that the best thing to do???

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 19:00:57 pm »
Whereas I just want to save my carpets  :P. I certainly DO NOT want him wandering with that free flow thing.

My plan is to just ditch the bottle in favour of milk in a cup and see what happens. But J is only taking 2-3oz before running off, so I guess I have less to lose  :-\. Then if he doesn't drink it offer again with breakfast at the usual time. But no bottle until bedtime. And he is seriously fighting his bottle as he wants to get down and play anyway (doesn't hold it himself  ::)).

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 19:19:04 pm »
My plan is to just offer milk in the sippy every am. If he does not take it I will put it in a bottle but if I keep trying I am hoping one day he will go for it.

I took this route for a while, and looking back I think that for my DS it was the wrong thing to do.  I now wish that I had offered it in a sippy and if he didn't want it, then say fine, and take it away.  No going and dumping it in a bottle...why would he bother trying it or taking it in the sippy if he is just going to get it how he wants it in a moment anyway, kwim?

At this age, there really is no "need" for milk - they are on diets of solid foods that is providing nutrition and calories and milk is for the calcium...and comfort and normalcy of life for my DS.  But calcium can be had in cheese, yogurt, etc. And no need for milk 3x a day at 5ounces each time.... An ounce or two to "wash down" a meal adds up over the day, and yogurt and cheese at snack and/or meal times and you've got your needed calcium. But I think that because DS was not a great eater at that age, I really needed him to get his milk in, so I would just put it in the bottle.... that, and TBH, not trying to shirk responsibility of my own decisions, but until about a month ago DH would not accept that DS no longer drinks two 8 ounce bottles in a day and if he does not drink all of his milk then DH pressures him.  Now that he finally agrees/accepts this, I can move on with things. Grrrr.  I had gone back to the sippy a couple of weeks ago but as DH has been off work for the school holidays he has been doing morning milk and he gives a bottle no matter what I say. So, once school starts again, my sippy cup enforcement is back on!

Anyway, but of a sidetrack Becky, but I would say that if you give him his milk in a sippy and he doesn't take it, then don't go and dump it in a bottle - just say fine, and try again later. KWIM?

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 23:44:03 pm »
I absolutely agree with mashi. I originally did that. Tried the cup then offered the bottle. So DD always held out of the bottle. Then I said...alright just a cup only. She protested...as anyone would do when something comfortable and familiar is taken away and replaced with something new and less comfortable...but she did better with just offering it in a cup only.

There will be the issue of taking less milk for awhile....but he should go back to his usual intake once he is used to the cups.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 09:17:29 am »
ok thanks girls. DH got up with him today and he drank from the cow cup...all of it apparently.....great he drank it all but the little monkey! We are getting more and more times like this when he will be on his best behaviour for DH. Sigh :)