Author Topic: Not sure if we are dealing with milk intolerance, but...  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Not sure if we are dealing with milk intolerance, but...
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 02:56:37 am »
Well with DS1, he was such a picky eater and was doing so well on his formula.  He was on Nutramigen though, hypoallergenic formula.  When we did the gradual switch, things just got messed up.

Now with DS2, we tried to do the switch and it did not go well, then tried to put him back on formula and he was not drinking much, so went to Rice Milk. 

I just say I wished we had stayed with formula, because  you know they are getting the vitamins and nutrients they did.

In your case though, he is eating well and has been on a milk based formula, so it could be fine when you do make the switch.

What have you decieded to do?  Are you going to try a lactose free formula, soy formula, soy milk, lactose free milk?  When do you leave for vacation?
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline happy hollow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My beautiful boys
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 14:53:25 pm »
Not sure...ds woke with a tummy ache today.  No fever or anything, but he is lethargic (back asleep already!!) and really just not himself.  Not sure if it is because I switched formulas, or if he has caught another bug.  In true Sammy style,  you can still get him to laugh!!  DH might take him into the clinic just to see where we should go from here.  I have my daycare kids today, so can't go myself.  I'll let you know what we come up with.

Offline happy hollow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My beautiful boys
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 17:44:26 pm »
Ok, DH just got back from the Dr. and Sam has a bit of pus on his tonsils...I don't know if that is what tonsilitis is but, whatever.  He is on his first round, ever, of antibiotics.  I sure hope it is not a recurring thing.  Anyway, the Dr. also said it was highly unlikely we were dealing with lactose intolerance, but that we can check it out if we want.  AND, as I was giving him his first dose of medicine, I noticed another tooth poking through.  So, my guess is that there were a lot of things happening at the same time for my poor little guy, and on top of everything else I tried to switch him over to milk!!  We will stick with formula until his tonsils clear up, and will maybe try again after Christmas.  Thanks again for all your posts.  Every bit of advice is appreciated!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 18:53:40 pm »
Poor baby.  If you can get any probiotics, I would highly suggest them.  They actually restore the good bacteria in your gut that antibiotics destroy. 

It is very unlikely based on statistics to be lactose intolerance, but some babies just have problems with the lactose, so you never know.

I agree though, sounds more like his teething and getting sick.  I would not change anything until he feels better and after the holiday's.

Keep us posted.  Hugs, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline kate585

• Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 20:32:08 pm »
Poor bub!   :-*

If you can't get probiotics, I'd add some yogurt into the mix.  Or, soy yogurt would work though it seems that the lact. intol. might not be an issue at this point.  I'd say if you still notice problems after he's better from the cold and teething, you may want to give a dairy-free diet a shot.  If he does have milk issues it's better to know asap. 

Good luck!
Kate,

Offline happy hollow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My beautiful boys
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 16:22:02 pm »
I think I've seen you in the NW section before, where we marveled at how similar our boys were!  Right now, DS is on the Good Start easy to digest formula.  Once he is over his tonsilitis, we will reassess and see where we are at!

Offline sanrega

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mateo is 3 and 3/4 Lucía is 14 months old
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 02:35:35 am »
I had and appoint. last week w/ my GP and he gave me a
referral to see an Pediatrist & an nutritionist, now Im just
waiting for the appoint.
At moment we are only on calcium Enriched rice milk
and he's still having trouble w/ pain, not much though.
I'll keep you informed.
MATEO Y LUCíA

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 04:29:15 am »
sanrega:  I hope you get that appointment soon.  I know another member, Spectra.  She tried rice milk at about the age your child is.  His symptoms improved greatly.  She saw a nutritionist and they had her put him on Alimentum formula (hypoallergenic) and then later he had to go onto Neocate (amino acid based formula).

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but rice milk is not at all complete for a baby.  In my opinion, he really needs to be on formula.

Sorry to jump in happy hollow.

Wendy
Wendy -

Offline sanrega

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mateo is 3 and 3/4 Lucía is 14 months old
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 06:30:39 am »
The appointment card was taking longer to arrive (12 days) so I decided to ring the hospital.
Do you know what?? My case is not too serious so we are going to see the pediatrist in 5
months time.
Im sooooo angry!!!
how is it possible, my son is in pain for a long time and it's not too serious.
I'll try to find a private one as soon as possible so we can do all the test to see what food he is intolerant to.
MATEO Y LUCíA