Author Topic: Our Milk/Soy Free Journey -PICS added  (Read 4891 times)

binxyboo

Re: Our Milk/Soy Free Journey -PICS added
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 05:11:15 am »
Hugs, this whole thing is frustrating.

I thought Tyler had a reaction when you got him home? Is that unusual for him that the reaction be delayed? He does seem to go through periods where he seems fine and you seem so happy about it all....any ideas what is going on at those times that makes it different? Maybe he wasn't fussy there because he was in a different environment...he probably got lots of attention that, as a Mom, it is sometimes hard to do all the time, because as well as taking care of the kids, you are trying to run the household etc. If she just had him for the weekend, it would be easier to just dedicate more time to him kwim? But the physical reaction symptoms, are they often delayed?

I think it is so hard at this age. I am constantly questioning whether or not Kate is having a reflux flare-up, whether it's just general teething issues, just having an off-day or whatnot.

I don't know...I don't like the look of that rash. I would be trying the elimination diet too, if it were me.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 18:47:16 pm »
Hey Michelle:  Tyler did great at my sisters, but when he got home his face looked really bad.  Then it started to clear up, because I removed all dairy and soy. The next week, we went to my mom's and that is where he had the reaction to vienna sausage's.  His face looked AWFUL and they are MSP free. 

I just don't know anymore....   
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 20:14:34 pm »
Wendy if it helps it took around 2 weeks before wwe saw any improvement in James's skin after removing dairy and probably about 4 weeks before you could see a major difference. It is hard but I have to say I don't think it is because Tyler is hungry either, obviously I could be wrong though. It is hard when you are trying to figure it all out especialy when you are getting mixed opinions from medical professionals.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Naomismom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 20:18:19 pm »
I am in the same boat going off dairy and soy.   :'(  Don't Ritz crackers have butter in them?  It might be worth going 100% DF/SF (even cutting out veg oil and butter) for a week or two just so you can know once and for all.
Anne

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 21:37:48 pm »
Ritz crackers are safe.  They only list Wheat as an allergen and soy liecthin (which is supposed to be okay).

Okay so BAD news.  I gave up today :(  I know... But with all the mixed messages I am getting from our doctors, I figured I would try Plan B until we see the allergist again on Jan. 9th.

So today he did have about 1/2 yogurt and some hidden dairy.  That is it. 
He seems VERY happy right now and no signs of a reaction.  I know it may be delayed, but... 

We also go for his 15 mos. check-up Friday and will dicuss things with the Ped. then.

I am still going to record everything here though, just to see If I notice a pattern or anything.

I know... I should have not gave up and will not see instant results, but the just wants to eat. 
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 21:42:52 pm »
Wendy, just a thought with those pics and you mentioning that you thought it would be clear by now - my paed told us that it could take MONTHS for some babies, it depends on how much damage has been done from the food, or how serious the allergy or was for instance.  He said that we shouldn't even have HOPES that my DS's rash will clear for at least 2 months, which he said is half as long as he's been exposed to the food for (ie/ he was 4 months old at the time). Anything sooner than that and we should be thrilled.

I hope that doesn't make you feel down or anything, but just wanting to tell you not to get too down on it because it could just take a while to clear up. If it's not getting any worse than that's surely a great sign?

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 03:41:35 am »
I will see how he is in the morning.  Last night after being milk/soy free for 3 days, his rash was looking worse. 

This morning he woke and it looked fine.  As the morning went on, it looked more and more red. 

It may truly be just KP, but I would have thought the dermatologist would have said that.  She felt it was exzema. 

I will see what the Ped says on Friday and how he does until then. 

Wendy -

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 07:58:21 am »
Wendy is it possible that his eczema is just eczema, and that it's not being caused by the milk/soy?  Eczema isn't always allergy related, it can just be a condition on it's own - do you think that's a possibility?  Or if it is caused from something that it is a detergent, a cologne or perfume one of you are wearing, a toy he's rubbing on his face, etc?

em_here

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 08:03:12 am »
Wendy, just seen this and wanted to add some hugs and support xxxxxxx

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 14:48:38 pm »
:)  Thank you Emma

- So yes it is deft. possible it could just be KP or eczema.  I know he had tons of issues with regular milk based formula's as a baby and always have seem to have problems with milk products. 

BUT...  So far no reaction from the yogurt I gave him yesterday.  Normal poop, no gas at all. 

He woke up this morning and his skin looked perfectly clear :-0  Really...  Then as the morning has went on, it has gotten redder, but not as dry as it has been. 

Also it is December and it has been almost 70 degrees here the past 2 days.  The humididty is high and I read that KP is better in higher humididty.

So who knows....

All we can do is try and see.
Wendy -

scarlettsmom

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 18:00:03 pm »
Hi Wendy - just sending some (((hugs))) you're a great mama trying to figure this out!  I'm also interested in watching your progress because we'll be in the same boat soon when we start solids...

:-*

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 18:58:49 pm »
I am following along with you also. 

So Tyler's system may have outgrown the milk/soy problem.  He has had no gas at all. 

Not counting on anything though, but today has been a PERFECT day with him.  No crying, fussing, nothing...

He has ate 2 really good solid meals that really filled him up. 
Wendy -

scarlettsmom

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 19:39:53 pm »
Wow - that's aweesome!!  May it long continue!  (...gives me lots of hope too)  ;D

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 20:03:15 pm »
Wendy, I realy hope it continues. You must be so pleased to see him happy and content today.

Kelly
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 20:12:41 pm by Jimbob »

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Alison_3

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 20:07:49 pm »
I hope it continues.  I was so happy to read this!   :-*

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]