Author Topic: Elimination Diet for 2.75 yr old? Help and a hug? ( a little long)  (Read 4313 times)

Offline rinajack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 162
Re: Elimination Diet for 2.75 yr old? Help and a hug? ( a little long)
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 07:51:35 am »
Thanks everyone.

Stacy, thankyou for encouraging me that I am not overreacting.  FWIW, everyone except my DH (so everyone not in my home) thought I was overreacting about Hughs reflux too, and when it flared even DH said it was behavioural not medical - then was proven wrong when I saw a dr and restarted the meds for hugh.  Now with them finding that there IS inflammation in Zara's gut, he has been proven wrong again, as has everyone else (although they won't accept that).

Re the blood sugar - Zara is the only kid I know of whos behaviour improves when I give her sugar to eat.  Which tells me she had low blood sugar and was feeling tired and crappy until I gave it to her iykwim.  With Zara, I have on numerous occasions resorted to giving lollies to my cranky daughter in the hope it will improve her mood (not because she asked for them) and then found it did help. I know sugar is not the best answer there, but when she is hardly eating it is sometimes the easiest option to get lots of energy into Zara with a small quantity of food. We still have a 1 treat a day rule, so if she doesn't ask for it, I offer it when I feel she is getting into one of those moods....

As for eating eggs and peanut butter - I offer, but getting her to eat anything most times is an issue. 

Stacy - you may remember that Zara has never been a good reliable sleeper - do you think it could have been related to this all along? (Made worse by the fact she is spirited?)

Thanks for the mention of soy pediasure equivalent - I am not sure if I can get this where I live, but will call the pharmacy of a town 1.5 hrs away that I am going to on Tues and see if they have any.  If not, will try to order some online and have it posted.
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 07:59:11 am »
good plan.
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 12:29:16 pm »
big hugs rina!!!
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 05:05:01 am »
Hey Rina, Funny you say that about the sugar.  Zach is so similiar.  I know sugar is a quick fix, but it really does seem to help his mood a lot.

Stacy, I did not realize inability to maintain blood sugar can come from DGE.  Gosh that makes perfect since because both Zach and I have it. 

You are a wonderful Mom Rina!!!  My DH and family has also doubted me, but you know when something is just not right. 

Hugs to you and let us know if you can get the Soy Drink! Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 05:10:59 am »
Just sending you hugs Stacy, I just read your post.  Sounds a lot like me...  I can relate to you.  I never knew the high fat, low fiber for DGE or just feeling so sick after eating. 

Funny because most say increase your fiber....

P.S:  For both of you, Allergy testing may be a good thing if you have not done it.  I have always had tummy problems and came back allergic to potato's.  Since cutting them out, my bm's are normal, but I still get a stabbing pain in the top of my stomach when I eat a lot or certain things.

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 05:33:43 am »
{{hugs}} to everybody! :-*

binxyboo

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 06:16:59 am »
*why is the site changing m.a.r.k.i.n.g to ooops!!*

Rina, I have read through all the posts, and although I don't have any advice to offer, I would just like you to know I will be following along and hope everything works out well for your little girl xx

Offline rinajack

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 12:15:14 pm »
Thanks Michelle.

It has now been 1 week without dairy.  And today, she ate the most she has eaten in a day for ages, and she didn't do all that badly yesterday either.

For breakfast, she ate 1/2 a peice of toast with non-dairy butter and half a fried egg.  No morning snack, but she had just split her lip open and was simply in no mood for food. Lunch she ate a whole 2 slice a bread sandwhich with non-dariy butter and non-dairy peanutbutter (she may have even eaten more than that, I made 2 sandwhiches and she and Hugh were sharing), then she ate 2 large slices of rockmelon (canteloupe).  She had a couple of crackers in the afternoon, and a "snow cone" (crushed ice with cordial on it).  Didn't really eat any dinner maybe a mouthful or two. But then did eat a peice of dry bread. Lots of diluted juice (V8 veggie and fruit, and apple juice), and some water.

She ate almost as well as that yesterday, and the day before that managed a whole banana and a whole piece of toast , with a couple of odd bites here and there.  So, I really think this may be starting to work already?  We can only hope...
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

binxyboo

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 17:15:49 pm »
That seems like a significant amount of food to me! Yay Zara!

Offline rinajack

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 06:02:53 am »
Hi everyone....we need more help.

Zara has been eating up a storm, which is great!  I started giving her soy yoghurt about 5 days ago, and I didn't quite make the connection at first, but she started complaining of a sore tummy again, and now she has gastro like symptoms, but her poo is very very green.  Does this mean she is MSPI not just MPI? Or does she simply have gastro?

Also, I had not eliminated any soy, if you think it is the soy, do I need to eliminate all, or just major sources....thing is, I live in a remote place, and getting bread etc without it in will be quite difficult.  I had thought she was doing ok prior to the intro of soy yoghurt.

Also, we knew zara was a bit MPI as a baby, but she did well on soy formula.....just thought I would throw that in in case it sways what you think above.
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 18:58:33 pm »
Hmmmm . . . I'd tend to vote to eliminate all soy, including trace amounts for a period of 3-4 weeks.  If that goes well, then, I'd add back in trace amounts.   That's just me though.

You can back your own bread.  ;)  Actually, I can't find any bread that doesn't have trace milk, so I bake me own just because of that. 

Offline rinajack

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 06:02:14 am »
Hi guys.

New update.  Not changing anything with the soy just yet, because Hugh, Daddy and Nana (who is visiting) have all also come down with gastro.  :P

Will wait and see once everyone is feeling better.
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 13:58:24 pm »
How are things going?

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker