Author Topic: I am NEVER drinking milk again! Need some help :)  (Read 1666 times)

em_here

I am NEVER drinking milk again! Need some help :)
« on: December 29, 2008, 20:32:37 pm »
I have a vague memory of having a bad stomach when drinking milk, which is why I stopped drinking it.  I havent had it for about a year, I just have hidden dairy. I have then used it for some calorie boosting milkshakes, as have dropped in weight to 7st 11lb so am underweight

Day 2 of milk, and I am nauseous, severe stomach cramps and bloating and ugh I just feel bloody awful!

Should I try lactose free milk?  DD is MSPI, she does ok with hidden dairy but not full on milk.

Why oh why did I do this to myself ???

Any good experience with lf milk for adults, is it the same ingredients, just with lactose removed? xxxx

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
Re: I am NEVER drinking milk again! Need some help :)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 20:39:58 pm »
Lactose free milk, yes the lactose is just broken down.  You can also get drops (at least in Canada you can) that you add to regular milk that breaks down the lactose, and I think it's a bit cheaper than the lactose free milk, especially if you are the only one in your house drinking it.

If you are looking to put on weight, can you do yogurts, cheeses, cottage cheese, sour cream, etc? 

Offline Diana1981

• Mama de Yeyo y Yoyo
  • Showing Appreciation 74
  • My angels
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 20:45:25 pm »
how about drinking soy milk? I use for milkshakes and smoothies. its yummy

As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 20:49:53 pm »
Depends on whether your reaction is to the lactose or the casein (milk protein). If it's the lactose, you may be OK with yogurt and some cheeses, since culturing can help break down the lactose in the milk. We don't do unfermented soy so no soy milk for us, but we do drink rice milk and find it's OK. And you can use the rice milk to mix your shakes too! :)

Offline Diana1981

• Mama de Yeyo y Yoyo
  • Showing Appreciation 74
  • My angels
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 20:54:41 pm »
hey deb
whats unfermented soy milk?

As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around

em_here

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 20:57:54 pm »
Thanks ladies :D I will try lf milk first and see how I go, am in mucho pain, stupid milk!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 01:29:28 am »
Yikes Emma, like you need anything else going on.

I would try the Lactose Free Milk.  Taste the same to me.  If you still have the problems, then try Soy or no milk.

You can add Flax seed oil (1tablespoon) to your shakes also and get like 8 grams of fat.  Add olive oil in your foods.  Cook with coconut oil (very fattening).

You can get Coconut milk and make your own pudding.  I would use Real/full fat butter in all your foods.  Gosh there are lots of ways to increase fat. 

Hugs sweetie.
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Antoinesmom

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • ???
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 02:19:30 am »
Nowadays soya milk has additives that makes soya milk better for the body then cow milk because it doesn't contain the hormones that are given to cows.

There is also rice milk, I haven't tried that one but have been told that it is good for the body too.

Marty
My big boy is such a wonderful brother to his new sister.
I am truly blessed.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 02:50:54 am »
hey deb
whats unfermented soy milk?

Soy milk is made from unfermented soy. Fermented soy would be stuff like tofu and tamari sauce. There are some studies out about the possible effects of unfermented soy and some of the hormone-like substances in it that I can't make up my mind on whether or not to believe one way or the other, but since it's so easy to avoid it, we just do, 'cause I feel better not having soy that hasn't been fermented. I can dig up links if you like, but that can go on another thread.

em_here

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 08:57:13 am »
Thanks again ladies, the cramps have eased off this morning.  I had a eureka moment, as my ibs has been really settled for a while, but realised that I used to be a milk junkie and now I dont drink milk at all, as I went off it, and I am fine stomach wise mostly!  I remember cutting it out in case it was the culprit but never thought about it fully as am a bit slow lol. It would explain dd's rip roaring sloppy poos when she has full on milk and how she has always been severely sensitive to it!

I cant believe the 2 days of hell I have put myself through and I am not trialling dd again for a while, as if she suffers what I suffered it is NOT fair at all!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 19:11:51 pm »
If you were just doing it for calorie booster, then I would do other fattening things.
I would stay away from milk, because it could be the protein in it.

Hugs, wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • mischief makers........
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 20:09:51 pm »
How are you getting on hun? Have you tried the lactose free milk? I dont drink as much of it anymore as it really aggravates my IBS...GP says these things run in families so i guess it rings true that DD2 has the same problem...
Mummy to

Megan Marjorie Alice 12/07/03
and
Cerys Elizabeth Rose 29/05/07