Author Topic: "oops" or "my spot"??  (Read 10115 times)

tuta

Re: "oops" or "my spot"??
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 14:41:40 pm »

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 16:20:41 pm »
;D ;D ;D ;D I don't get it why is saying m@rking my place on a thread rude - I think that it is nice if someone doesn't have time to do it there and then lets you know they are interested hoohum I guess I am just fundamentally a naughty naughty girl  ;D Oops!! Oops!! Oops!! - guess what I just said there  ;D heheheheheheheh

It can be considered rude if you do it because you dont have time to respond right now, which is sort of code for I have more important things to do that help you with your problem.

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 16:59:40 pm »
I understand that thought, but finding oops all thru a thread is more jarring to me trying to read it than seeing m@rking.  :-\  Just my opinion... worth what you paid. ;)
Candice

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 17:07:42 pm »
I understand that thought, but finding oops all thru a thread is more jarring to me trying to read it than seeing m@rking.  :-\  Just my opinion... worth what you paid. ;)

lol, but now that you know it's going to come as "oops!!" and look silly, doens't it inspire you to write something more/different?  Or am I the only one that easily trained, lol.  ;) 

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 17:27:12 pm »
I *do* try to avoid doing it (& did before, too)... add hugs if nothing else. :)
Candice

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 17:43:16 pm »
I think if you can't be bothered to write anything more than that in a post, then you shouldn't bother. Leave it to others who want to make the effort.

Then again I'm on painkillers and feeling kind of crabby :-X ;D
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 21:45:43 pm »
Hugs again Caroline.

I explained this somewhere before... but will have another go here too..

I personally do not like the practice of mar king a thread by just using that one word. I totally understand that sometimes we read a thread and dont have time to say what we would like to in reply so some decide to mark it so that they can find it again as it comes up in the replies to their posts (if someone replies after us). BUT, if we havent got time to write and we really want to surely it will mean enough to us to find the thread again later without having to rely on the replies to our posts list..  Also to me if someone just writes that one word it does kind of say to the poster of the thread that we can't be bothered to say something meaningful. We'd be far better saying nothing and remembering to come back to the thread when we have time or spending a few extra seconds posting a short but interested reply.

Hopefully the site censor gaining a little sense of humour will get the message across in a more light hearted way than me or anyone nagging about it.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 21:48:08 pm »
And to tack on to Helen...

When someone sees that a thread has been responded to, she/he may not even open it, as it *appears* to have been responded to.  Imagine writing a post and seeing it got 5 responses, opening it and finding it had only been "marked".  :-\

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 02:27:12 am »
Now that is a very good point!!
Mark-ing  Hee hee!!  It works!  now if we could just get it to change it to random stuff...
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2009, 11:20:28 am »
THe only thing I don't like about this ooops business is that now, going back and reading old posts, people who have used the world m a r k in a different context now have ooops written randomly in their post!  I was reading one yesterday and it took me ages to figure out what was going on!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2009, 20:36:16 pm »
Quote (selected)
When someone sees that a thread has been responded to, she/he may not even open it, as it *appears* to have been responded to.  Imagine writing a post and seeing it got 5 responses, opening it and finding it had only been "marked".  Undecided

That's a good point.  but I still do not see why it is considered rude.  Many times I mark it so I don't have to spend 10 minutes searching for the same message to respond.  Many times I am running out the door but jump on real quick to mark the ones I want to respond to when I have time.  That way I don't come back to a million UNREAD posts?!!??!
Judy

Offline RachelC

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2009, 20:43:00 pm »
But what if no one responds to the thread after you "mark" it... it won't come up in new replies  :-\

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2009, 20:49:35 pm »
Quote (selected)
But what if no one responds to the thread after you "mark" it... it won't come up in new replies  Undecided

Oh!!!!  **LIGHTBULB GOING ON**  Sorry, I'm a little technologically challenged!   ;) ;) ;)

I completely get it now!!
Judy

Offline RachelC

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2009, 21:42:54 pm »
 :-*

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 20:16:43 pm »
Whenever I do answer sleep questions, I look for unanswered threads. If there is one reply, I won't respond. Never thought that the post could just be 'mar king'.

If someone did that and it got changed to oops, will there still be the zero or the one reply? Know what I mean? Has it been said?

Pity that mar king is a very common word.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:16:16 am by Steffi »