Author Topic: What age did your LO start to grasp the concept of 'stories'  (Read 1133 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
What age did your LO start to grasp the concept of 'stories'
« on: January 08, 2009, 13:24:55 pm »
Stan loves getting ALLLLL the books off his bookshelf. He loves to practise turning pages (and raising flaps etc). He loves to practise pointing to (for example) the cat, on each page. But he's only 13 months and really doesn't 'get' the idea of listening to a story from start to finish. Does anyone know what time this kicks in? I'm really looking forward to starting simple chapter books with him, but I'm guessing that's around age 3? Does that sound about right?

anna
x

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: What age did your LO start to grasp the concept of 'stories'
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 15:10:16 pm »
Maybe before then, Leorah kind of gets it and she has always loved books but they have to be short and simple and be repeated everyday then she knows what is coming next and joins in. I am also looking forward to being able to read Enid Blyton and stuff with a proper storyline. When your DS's age Leorah was much more likely to sit for short books that ryhmed like Goodnight Moon, Poppycat books and maybe a little later the Hairy Maclary books and they are still faves, these are the ones she follows along with and we pretend to skip a page and she will notice or finish the rhyme off but that didn't come until nearer 2 and we have read them hundreds of times  :P The things your DS is doing is importnat pre reading stuff so it is great he loves the flaps and turning pages etc, in fact if I remember right Leorah only liked books she could be interactive with at that age, have you got any That's not my puppy/tractor/bunny/dinasour? He'd probably love them  :)
Katt

Offline carolo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • PEI Houses
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 15:26:06 pm »
Jack is five months old and I have been telling him the story of The Three Bears since he was one month old.  (did the same with my other son who is now ten).  As soon as I mention Goldilocks or The Three Bears, his face lights up and he is totally enthralled from start to finish.  He especially likes the Papa Bears voice.  I have a video tape of him listening to it..it's priceless.  He is especially interested if I skip a day telling it to him.  I am very animated while telling it and he seems to know now what is coming next!
As far as books, he likes the pictures and flaps.  I have a book of babies - black and white pictures of babies that he LOVES!

lilmonkey

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 15:35:23 pm »
For dd it was around 13 mos where she would sit and listen to me read.  A few weeks ago, DS (18 mos) is just learning to sit for me to read a book.  He would let me read for a couple of pages before he decides to turn the pages himself.  Prior to that he would just flip the pages and we name the pictures.  The fact that your lo is turning the pages and pointing to things is a good starting point to actually listening to a story.  Some of the books that they really like are The Little People flap books.  Each book has a theme and each page has lots of flaps to keep reading interesting.

DD was close to 3 yo when we started reading stories with plots(5-10 min to read).  Her favorites are the Disney story collections, Franklin series, Backyardigans and of Dora and Diego.

Good night moon is a wonderful book!  I must have read it thousands of times.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 22:24:00 pm »
Thank you everyone! Yes, the 'That's not my (monster/train/bunny)' are very popular here. Today we read the book with the cat in, only this time he kissed the cat on every page. I am just soooo looking forward to reading to him (without having him turning the pages back, slamming the book shut, crawling off to find some other, better toy).

anna
x

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 07:48:34 am »
Anna your DS is adorable!! So sweet he kisses the cat  :D I remember Leorah went through a stage of not being able to concentrate on books and it helped to get some books of her favourite characters which were Teletubbies at that time.

Mimi, Leorah also loves those Dora books now  :)
Katt