Author Topic: What do you do when you're looking after LO?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
What do you do when you're looking after LO?
« on: January 11, 2009, 07:38:18 am »
If you've not got activities planned, and you've got a five hour A time, how do you fill it all up? I mean of course there are meals in there etc... but how do you keep from going crazy yourself, let alone keeping LO occupied? I generally do the bare minimum housework, so I'm not busying around all the time: if I try and read a book, or use the computer, or work on a craft project, Stan just comes over and whips it out of my hand/starts bashing the keyboard. He doesn't particularly want me to play with him, but he definitely doesn't want my attention focussed elsewhere.

I sometimes put the TV on just for something to do, even if it's children's TV, but I don't want to get into that habit for Stanley. Five hours is a long time!

anna
x

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: What do you do when you're looking after LO?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:37:22 am »
I used to try to get out as much as possible.. time at the local park, indoor play centre, toddler groups etc or I'd invite friends over... cus you are right 5 hours feels like a really long time.. but it flies by when you go out or have company.

Also must admit if I wanted half an hour to do something for myself without Woo wrecking it I would pop him with some toys in his playpen!

H xx

Offline Diana1981

• Mama de Yeyo y Yoyo
  • Showing Appreciation 74
  • My angels
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 13:44:43 pm »
We go out to the local park, get out his story books, I sometimes get all of his toys out sit next to him and watch him while I read a book!!!  Right now, as Im trying to type, ds wants all the atention he can get, and he is taking tha laptop away from me, kicking me, etc. Im going to take him downstairs soon.

As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Showing Appreciation 52
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 15:50:15 pm »
I found what helped what finding things to do together. Chores can be turned into an activity eg LO fills sthe washing machine or does the dishes (basically DS messing about with the bubbles whilst I wash plates), gardening (planting bulbs), etc

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMD7UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMNMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Righd666444ewwwwwewewwwwwqwwwwwwssssssshhgbbbnbyykllkkmjbhnnnlkokloolk
y

Right now that's him playing with the computer and practising his letters bbb  ;D

lilmonkey

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 16:08:23 pm »
I found what helped what finding things to do together. Chores can be turned into an activity eg LO fills sthe washing machine or does the dishes (basically DS messing about with the bubbles whilst I wash plates), gardening (planting bulbs), etc

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMD7UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMNMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Righd666444ewwwwwewewwwwwqwwwwwwssssssshhgbbbnbyykllkkmjbhnnnlkokloolk
y

Right now that's him playing with the computer and practising his letters bbb  ;D

That's us!  LOL  Although I try to delete ds' contribution before it's posted.  Don't want anyone here thinking that I'm a nut case and can't spell.  ;p

I try to kill 2 birds with one stone.  Right now, dd & ds are to happy *helping* me with the housework so I let them.  We still go outside or have playdates but I really want to relax after the kids are asleep so I make myself do housework during the day.  Yes it does take longer to do some chores but it does pass the time very quickly. 

ETA:  Crafting is always a big hit in this house.  I just set things up for dd and ds and I go about preparing dinner or cleaning the kitchen. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 16:11:25 pm by Mimi* »

Offline AshleyB

• Showing Appreciation 7
    • My Photos
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 16:14:38 pm »
We have two play areas for my 9 month-old,one in her room and one in the living room. We rotate between them. sometimes I give her toys or teething biscuit in her high chair while I cook. Otherwise, her favorite activity is to just crawl around the house and explore. I just tag along, trying to keep her from killing herself. Occasionally, we watch Yo Gabba Gabba, but she will only watch TV for about 15 minutes. We also spend a fair amount of time reading books.

On the weekends we stroll once a day or go to the park. Some weekends we take her with us to Target for a family shopping outing, which she really enjoys. I would love to be able to take her outside more, but circumstances prevent that.
Mom to Chandler McCrea born April 2, 2008
Spirited/Textbook

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 19:06:31 pm »
Yep housework or as much as possible, so I let both kids come upstairs while I do upstairs, close the stair gate at the top and let them play or run around, they usually play on the bed in dds room so its the last one to get done. Also get them to help out downstairs though they are both good at playing together or I let them out on the fenced in patio where I can see them from the kitchen. I always do my shopping too during A time, certainly not going to use my time doing that . Helping out downstairs involves putting laundry in the  machine, putting away tupperware or sweeping, great favourite here. Dd being older gets to do big jobs like help empty the dish washer get stuff from the fridge for me and help with cooking or rather preparing. I think they need to get used to the idea that you have daily chores and that they will eventually, ds is now obsessed with neat and order and cant stand to see a cupboard open or the top of the bin not properly. My boy . Failing the above the 3 big time activities here are colouring, for both, play dough and the baby blocks of which we have 100.

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 19:11:48 pm »
I know what you mean Anna!

We try and go out at least once each A time - even if it's just a walk to the local shop or the post box in the rain...  other than that, like others say, I try and combine doing chores with activity for Katie.  So she helps me hang the laundry on the drying rack, unload the dishwasher (she does the cutlery while I do the plates...), put away clothes etc. It takes ten times longer but she has fun and learns about the chores that have to be done, and it means I don't have to do these jobs during her nap.  I also tend to do my chores opportunistically - so if she's happy unloading my underwear from my drawers in the bedroom (!) I will use that time to sort out my wardrobe or clean the (en suite) bathroom. If she's busy doing some messy craft activities in our spare room (the room that's not decorated yet LOL) then I do the ironing  in that room....   she also gets cross if I try and use the computer or check emails on my blackberry - she knows, quite rightly, that I am not giving her my full attention - so I save these for her nap time.  We don't watch any TV.

Anna I love your new avatar!

Bryony x

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 19:16:34 pm »
Oh meant to add, the big time killer for us when it was too hot to go out and we had long activity times was a nice long bath, usually in the morning after a trip to the park to tire dd out for her nap

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 03:35:56 am »
yeah- 5 hours is a long time! We go outside, no matter what the weather is- if it's cold, we totally bundle up and stay active, if it's hot, we strip down and get into the water.
We do nature walks. We play ball- kick about the yard/playroom.
Nick loves to cook with me, so we'll bake or use my "powertools", the mixer, food processor.
We do music time once a day- either bang along with the CDs/radio or create our own music/songs.
We'll build a "fort" with a blanket and sofa cushions, or use a big box and make a boat.
Garden together, shovel the snow, rake the leaves. ETC...
Nick needs busy work.
Recently we started a gymnastics class which has been a good success.
Go to the library group once a week.
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007