Author Topic: Skiing with a toddler - any thoughts?  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Bryony

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
Skiing with a toddler - any thoughts?
« on: January 11, 2009, 09:32:08 am »
OK so the one thing I am missing - so much that it HURTS - since having Katie is ...skiing.     I always used to go somewhere in Europe once or twice each year to ski with some friends.  DH doesn't ski so it was always just me and some friends.

Now that Katie is nearly two, I am wondering how many more years I need to wait before I can go and take her with me...  I certainly don't want to go until she's dropped her lunchtime nap as that will be too much hassle to plan around - but I was wondering either when she's three or four whether to give it a go - I know I won't really get any skiing done but at least we will be there and she will start getting used to the snow and we can go toboganning, and maybe sometime in the future Katie will be able to ski too and we can go together...

Who else has taken thier LOs skiing, and at what age? 

Any tips?

thanks

Bryony xx

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

tuta

Re: Skiing with a toddler - any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:53:09 am »
My first thoughts on reading your title was 'surely you would need two one for each foot?'  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Seriously my IL's did the toboganning thing with their lo when she was about 2 I think.  I don't believe that they did much skiiing but the did have a really good time and their dd thought it was a blast.

Offline potlaura

• Showing Appreciation 168
  • mum of three fabulous boys from n.ireland
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:06:14 am »
I would love to be doing the same I love skiing but our insurance wont cover us till lo is 4 to ski !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jack 31.12.98
Tom 06.09.06
Euan 28.12.2011

Offline Bryony

• We're in London, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:45:29 am »
My first thoughts on reading your title was 'surely you would need two one for each foot?'  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) 

LOL!!

I would love to be doing the same I love skiing but our insurance wont cover us till lo is 4 to ski !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heavens I didn't think of insurance and whether that will be an issue - will need to check that out...

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 19:52:07 pm »
We took dd1 skiing when she was 2 years 9 months... took her in the AM, then sent her back to BIL's house with BIL's wife for a nap  ;)  That was the last time I was skiing  :(

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 19:55:40 pm »
I haven't been since before I had dd but going to France for a long weekend at the end of the month and leaving the kdis at home with my Mum.  Is this something you could do?

Offline Bryony

• We're in London, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 22:05:17 pm »
No, unfortunately my mother wouldn't go for that!!  Nor will DH stay at home with her so that I can go - if I go, she will have to come with me.....

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:23:29 am »
I'd make him if I was that desperate!

Offline Bryony

• We're in London, UK
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 09:17:40 am »
I'd make him if I was that desperate!

Hmm - yes - well that's a topic for another thread!!!

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:08:09 am »
I am living in Denmark and DH is desperate to take Leorah skiing as soon as possible, kids here start skiing weekends away very early, it is just a matter of money for us but I reckon we will be going next winter when she is 3, I also want her to have dropped her nap by then.
Katt

Offline momofgab

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 15:05:47 pm »
HI! We just started skiing this season :) I AM SSOOOOOO HAPPY!!! Finally, starting to do sports again YYYEEEAAAHHH!!! Ok, you got it, I am happy to start doing things again. DS is now 4yo. He is not a very physical boy but after a few days going with him he can at least stay up on his skis, walk aroud a bit, and glide down by himself if the hill is VERY slow. Now I wan't this experience to be positive for both of us so I don't push him at all. He needs help getting to the lifts, I hold him between my legs in the t-bar (no chair lift on our small mountain) and hold hhim from behind going down . I will be looking for a harnest though (you hold the rope while he skis, it is safe and gives both of you a bit more freedom). After an hour and a half he is exhausted (and so am I) so we go for hot chocolate and then glide for a while. It is free for kids at our mountain and very cheep for adults so I find it nice to enjoy a few hours outdoors with him. I think by the end of this year or most probably next year he will ski by himself and THAT WILL BE FUN!

Enjoy your winter!

Offline Bryony

• We're in London, UK
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 21:59:17 pm »
HI! We just started skiing this season :) I AM SSOOOOOO HAPPY!!! Finally, starting to do sports again YYYEEEAAAHHH!!! Ok, you got it, I am happy to start doing things again. DS is now 4yo. He is not a very physical boy but after a few days going with him he can at least stay up on his skis, walk aroud a bit, and glide down by himself if the hill is VERY slow. Now I wan't this experience to be positive for both of us so I don't push him at all. He needs help getting to the lifts, I hold him between my legs in the t-bar (no chair lift on our small mountain) and hold hhim from behind going down . I will be looking for a harnest though (you hold the rope while he skis, it is safe and gives both of you a bit more freedom). After an hour and a half he is exhausted (and so am I) so we go for hot chocolate and then glide for a while. It is free for kids at our mountain and very cheep for adults so I find it nice to enjoy a few hours outdoors with him. I think by the end of this year or most probably next year he will ski by himself and THAT WILL BE FUN!

Enjoy your winter!

WOW!   you sound so happy!  Thanks for that.  I am already looking forward to it - either next year or the year after - woo hoo!

Bryony

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 19:59:15 pm »
My dad is a skiing FANATIC (although my mom never skiied and hates winter), and he started me when I was 5 and my brother when he was 2.  He used to take us skiing EVERYWHERE, starting us locally then taking us all over North America.  We would go on several skiing vacations a year, me, my brother, my dad and his friends (my mom almost never came).  Those were the best times of our lives!  Although I think my dad was really adventurous and a little crazy to take us on all those trips, it was so great for us growing up and I think there is no problem with it if you are willing to take on the challenge!  I say go for it!  I know my dad will have my son skiing by the time he's 2 years old (and I'm looking forward to getting back into it too!)  :)
Good luck!!!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 20:02:56 pm »
I am tagging along here....DH insists he's bringing Oscar skiing in Feb for a few days to south Poland...he will be 2 yrs 10 mths then!

I don't ski nor have a clue how...so I am lost too!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Bryony

• We're in London, UK
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 21:07:40 pm »
Oh Martina - that sounds great!  That's the kind of experience I am hoping for, for my daughter.    Then we can go with my friends every year and hopefully have some great adventures...

We have about 30cm snow here in London at the moment (it only happens about once every 20 years that we get more than about 1cm) so I took her out for a walk in it and was trying to show her how much fun it was.... I think she just thought it was cold though!

Bryony