Author Topic: Washing 17 mth olds hair-please Help  (Read 1997 times)

Offline buttonbaby

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« on: January 20, 2009, 20:26:58 pm »
Hope I posted on the right board but if not , sorry & totally understand if you need to move it!
DD used to hate her bath but now likes it but once I wash her hair (well once I wet her hair especially rinsing off the shampoo) my normally very happy DD stands up grabs onto me and cries her eyes out.
I’ve tired the visor thing, I’ve tried shampooing it first on dry hair so all I’ve to do is the rinsing, and I’ve tried using a little travel contain with a spray top so I can spray the water on rather than pour (but it takes about 3 hours)-maybe anyone know of where I can get something suitable with a bigger spray (but still may not help as she doesn’t love the small spray).
I don't wash it as much a as I'd like to as it upsets DD so much...does anyone have any tips/ideas they have used?
Thanks,
Fiona
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona

Offline RyansMum

• Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
Re: Washing 17 mth olds hair-please Help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 23:03:25 pm »
Hi there, went through something similar with my ds when he was about 2.5 years old. I started to use a shower head to rinse. Would let him play with it, getting him to help rinse, help rinse off soap on his body. It really helped. However, we did have to 1 time just do it even though he was kicking off, then in the middle of it he realised actually this isn't too bad and was fine after that.  I was in the bath with him too.

Perhaps get in the bath with her and get her to wash your hair?

Offline aidliz

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 02:27:36 am »
You could use an empty water bottle.  I did this and it worked well, less of pouring sensation than using a cup.  usually took 2 times, with the cup it took more.  I used a washcloth to wet their hair and when they were little and didnt have much hair. I also used one to get the soap out and used my hand to swoosh the soap out, so there was less soap in there to rince.

Is she getting water in her face and thats what she doesnt like?  My son hated this and I would have him hold a washcloth over his face so I could rince trying not to get any in his face.

Offline buttonbaby

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 21:03:13 pm »
Hi and thanks for your advice...
Ryansmum...I actually haven't tried getting in the bath for ages...tried it when she hated the bath but didnt think of doing it for hair washing and didnt think of letting her help or watch me washing my own hair...might try the shower head idea and maybe that. Thanks

Aidliz... I dont know what it is that she finds so aversive...The water does not go on her face (except sometimes when she jumps up mid pour) but not usually... I tried with a little bottle (took the spray top off as it was taking ages) but ti was tiny took ages as it was small but DD didn't seem to not like this either. It seems as soon as she feels water on her head ...even with a  sponge (but tis nto as bad) she gets upset.  I think Like ryans mum said happened her son if she gave it a chance she might like it but once we start she kicks off.
WEll between both of you I a few ideas to work with...shower head, might try bigger bottle to do the rising out quickly if the shower head thing doesnt work...plus me getting in too and washing my hair plus I might have DP holding something up above to act as a distraction and to make sure the water def falls down her back only.
Thanks to you both.
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona

Offline aidliz

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:50:53 am »
I sometimes blow bubbles, or let them blow bubbles in the tub.  It is something different that would distract her.  You could blow some, she will probably get excited...all kids loooove bubbles.  Then tell her its time to wash out the soap in her hair, let her hold the wand and when her hair is clean you will blow more bubbles.

Offline buttonbaby

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 21:43:49 pm »
Thanks aidliz bubbles are a great idea...could not think of what I could have going on above as a distraction....dd LOVES LOVES LOVES bubbles. will try the holding the wand thing...can usually reason Whit DD in that way...i.e. have something she can see she will do once she has done something (less fun) first but she gets so hysterical during bath time it may not work but its def worth a try...you never know!!!! Have a wand which she has never seen which blows huge bubbles...can use that as a novel bathtime/washing hair time activity if it works.
Thanks again!
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona

Offline aidliz

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 01:53:23 am »
hope it works.  it is a fun time when they enjoy a nice bath.

Offline buttonbaby

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 21:14:31 pm »
Thanks so much everyone....I've had 3 hair washing sessions since writing using all your suggestions and it was mildy better but DD got quiet worked up...It was better in the sense that using the shower head and a bigish bottle to risne got it doen quicker but no matter what....big bubbles and all...DD stood up the minute she felt water on her head and really cried.
Going to order this: http://www.lilrinser.com/ Think DD will still get upset but might make it faster and prevent any water from dripping on her face and she may eventually get to like it.
Thanks again though...will keep your suggestons in mind as I keep trying to make bath times easier for my LO.
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona