Author Topic: help for my poor Abbi? please?  (Read 1942 times)

em_here

help for my poor Abbi? please?
« on: February 01, 2009, 21:27:55 pm »
When Abbi was young age suffered from terrible sloppy poo and awful stomach pain. She was diagnosed as mpi and started on nepcate. She also couldn't tolerate soy. Over the last year we have introduced hidden dairy which is ok in small quantities, but recently its made her tummy bad so we took it away again. Now she seems worse than ever, distended tummy, the runs like five to seven times a day, and on dairy she has the runs more.  She also gets a terrible rash around her bum and private area if she has too much. Since we took dairy out of diet recently she's been upset a lot, and tonight she could not walk right, she was clutching her tummy and saying ow and walking slowly and bow legged with a bloated tummy. I don't know what to do next, how to figure things out, GPS seem so dismissive and say things like oh she may grow out of it.  Even on nepcate, although she was happy, she still had sloppy poo, but dietician said it was ok as long as she wasn't it pain. Sorry if this sounds muddled. Has anyone elses child been intolerant to anything else other than dairy and displayed these symptoms? I can't get the image of her walking in pain this eve out of my head. Feel so sorry for her. If anyone has had this kind of thing please could you share what kind of route you went to solve this? Thanks so much, again, sorry its muddled I am using my phone so can't see what I have wrote properly so can't edit it! Thanks x0x

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: help for my poor Abbi? please?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 02:28:04 am »
Hey sweetie!!!  If you have taken dairy out of her diet and it is still like this, I would deft. suspect something else.  Very well could be Gluten.

A close friend of mine, breastfeed her daughter and her daughter always always had runny, nasty poop.  She just thought is was normal breastfed poop.  Anyhow long story short, her daughter has a wheat allergy (no celiac disease), but once the wheat was removed, she has improved greatly.

I think I would take her to a GI doc and personally rule out anything.  Or take her to the allergist first to try for food allergies.

You know I am allergic to potatos and had stomach problems for years.  Once I stopped eating potato's all my stomach problems vanished and I also lost 20 pounds.

So you never know what it could be.
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 02:44:47 am »
Some of the more common food allergens in no particular order are dairy/casein, gluten, eggs, tomatoes and other nightshades, nuts, soy, seafood, citrus.

f you happen to know or can find out her blood type, you can look into Eat Right 4 Your Type by Peter D'Adamo - a lot of libraries have this book, and there's a website: http://www.dadamo.com/ . DH had the oddest issues with some foods and we couldn't figure out what the problem was; once we went thru the charts to see what he shouldn't be eating according to them, we cut out chicken and BAM, that was IT. Chicken!?!?! Never would've occurred to us otherwise. The idea is that different blood types come with sensitivities to different foods, so avoiding foods that you're sensitive to and leaning more towards those that your body will be better able to digest helps you be healthier. There's some skepticism surrounding the diet, but DH and I have both noticed that when we are NOT eating the foods we should avoid for our types, we feel better. Just a thought that might be worth looking into, although I have yet to meet an actual medical doctor who's heard of it or who thinks it has any credence at all if they have.

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 20:03:10 pm »
We had these problems with James. It turned out that the big culprits for James were wheat and oats. I really feel for you it is horrible seeing them in pain like that. It could be something else in Abbi' case of coarse but I do know lots of people have those kind of symptoms with a wheat allergy/intollerance.

I hope you figure it out soon and Abbi is soon feeling better.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline hemz80

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Hema - Mummy to three gorgeous babies
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 20:32:25 pm »
Sorry Emma... Poor Abbi, when did you take the dairy away completely?? 

As you may remember our ds is mpi and just last week i gave him a teaspoon of normal yogurt on tuesday.. he was still winging of Sunday!  It's got to be that, it's the only thing i've changed and he isn't normally like that.  Well, what i'm trying to get at is that maybe it's taking a while to get out her system and maybe it's  making her tummy sensitive....

It sounds as though something has triggered it as you've been giving dairy for a yr and i'm assuming she's been having wheat etc during that time too yet the distended tummy has just started?? 

Did you speak with the dietitian recently - maybe she could make a suggestion what it is or push your GP to get some more tests done. 

What's her growth like?  Sometimes if their weight has dropped or plateaued you can push for more tests by speaking to the health visitor.

Just a few thoughts

em_here

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 21:43:45 pm »
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I will respond leter this eve when I get in bed as bedroom is only good place for net signal on phone. Thanks again ladies you rock x

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 21:48:53 pm »
Just wanted to send you and Abbie some hugs hun :-*
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

em_here

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 22:33:52 pm »
Thanks so much Paula x x x x x ladies, batt is about to go on my phone, will be back tomorrow with a freshly charged phone! X x x