Author Topic: how can i tell when my LO is ready for a 2-1 nap transition?  (Read 590 times)

Offline dannabanana

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
how can i tell when my LO is ready for a 2-1 nap transition?
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:53:00 am »
My LO was always a terrible napper.  the only time it got a bit better is when we moved from 3 to 2 naps a day. but even then the max total of nap hours he would get would be 2.5 hours (though it usually was closer to 2) and a minimum of 1 hour total.
Now he seems to be cutting down on both naps. his morning nap these last 2 weeks or so has been 30min long, and his second anywhere between 30min to 1hour.
Should i try to only put him down for one nap? and how would i even start doing that? would i put him down only after lunch?   ???

thanks
a confused mommy

Offline jordiwes

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
Re: how can i tell when my LO is ready for a 2-1 nap transition?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 18:30:02 pm »
Hi there,
There is this thread to help you out:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95670.0
I have it bookmarked :)
How is his attitude? I know my 11 month LO doesn't quite nap as much as other babies, we have 1hr in the morning and 45 minutes in the afternoon these days. However, I don't think she could quite make the 4.5 - 5 hours of awake time required for one nap. I think the best bet is to keep 2 naps as long as possible. Have you tried W2S on the 30 min naps? Could he possibly be overtired at that point?

Offline dannabanana

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: how can i tell when my LO is ready for a 2-1 nap transition?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 19:03:53 pm »
Hi Jordlwes, thanks for the reply. i will look at the link you sent me in a moment!
his attitude is normal i guess. he already has 4 hours a time between nap #1 and nap #2. but i'm not sure either if he's ready for more, and moreover if I'M ready for more!!
i'm pretty sure he's not overtired because in the last month i've tried to put him down a bit earlier to see if he'd go down, but it only came biting me in the butt! because he stayed up way past his actual nap time. i also tried to put him down a bit later, but didnt see any change in the length of his nap.
The only way to get a good long nap from him, is to have him with me in bed for nap time. that way i "catch" him on time when he wakes, and just get him back to sleep. if he's in his own bed, it's a 50% chance that i manage to put him back down when he wakes cranky. usually W2S is more like W2W with him...