Author Topic: Wheat/Oat/Milk Free Finger foods for 9 month old?  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Wheat/Oat/Milk Free Finger foods for 9 month old?
« on: May 23, 2008, 01:08:10 am »
I guess this is why I am the MOD of this board, because seems like I lived here with my 2.5 yr old and now my 8.5 month old.  LOL

So.. Does anyone have any experience with finger foods that are wheat/oat and milk free? 

Tyler is so good at grabbing foods and feeding himself, but I can't do cheerios or gerber puffs. 

I know I can do peas, green beans, carrots, stuff like that, BUT I am looking for something that is similar to cheerios.  I bought some Toasty O's that are Gluten free, but they are really hard.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
Re: Wheat/Oat/Milk Free Finger foods for 9 month old?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 02:31:58 am »
Hmmm . . . what about a rice pasta cooked very tender either plain or with a non-dairy butter melted on it or just a little tomato sauce?   

Beans (garbanzo, kidney, etc) smashed with a fork. 

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 03:35:36 am »
Thanks Bethany.  I bought some rice pasta yesterday and will try it.  I may try the beans too.

In another week or so I am going to try finger foods that have wheat in it to see if it is wheat or JUST oats.  I am thinking it is just oats that he can't have.

Well that and milk
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline SiestaNoMore

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 00:11:12 am »
I used to get Baby Mum-Mums for my DS. They are rice rusks that melt in your mouth and come in plain or veg flavour.
I live in Canada and they are sold in every baby food section at any grocery store. Hope all is going well and you are figuring out what he can eat!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 01:56:03 am »
Yeah I got some of the mum mum's.  They are just now being sold in the US.  They do have skim milk in them, but not enough to affect him.  He loves them!!!

Wendy -

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 02:08:40 am »
DH makes a salad called Mississippi Caviar. There are several variations, but basically the idea it's a "poor man's caviar" made from black-eyed peas and black beans. (There are other variations). We use 3 cans (rinse them REALLY well - a great tactile sensory activity! :)) total of the beans (either 2 cans black beans and 1 black-eyed peas or vice-versa or re-proportion the recipe and use 2 cans of each), and add diced onions and sweet peppers (red and yellow and orange make it SOOOO purty! :D). We also add garlic and sometimes tiny diced pimentos and/or jalapenos, but that's optional. Then you pour 8 ounces of Italian dressing over it all and let it marinate a couple hours (or days) and enjoy. Can be eaten with chips, spoons, fingers, over lettuce (the dressing is enough for lettuce too). If Italian dressing has ingredients you don't want, make your own from scratch; it's water, oil, vinegar, oregano, a bit of sweetener, usually some garlic.

Also, if you have the Super Baby Food book by Ruth Yaron, she has a recipe in there for millet crackers. Not too hard to make, although it does take some practice to get relatively consistent results.

And guacamole isn't technically a finger food but it CAN be!!! LOL

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 02:14:43 am »
Thanks Deb.  I think I may hold off on beans.  It makes me nervous to give him anything new.  I gave him 1 little piece of watermelon while we were out of town and he was up ALL night with gas pains.  :(

I do have that book, so I am going to check out that recipe.

He just loves chunky foods and finger foods now.  He does not want purees no more. 
Wendy -

Offline kaynay

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 00:03:17 am »
avocado- mango- peaches anything like that soft then dusted with ground flax seeds for easy pick up.
ground flax seeds are so healthy for them and can turn any soft slippery food into something grippable.

rice pasta is great in deed.

seaweed my 10 mt old luvs it --it dissolves in mouth and cruncy a fun snack to share ...a brand i luv is SEAS GIFT but it does have a little salt on it you can dust it off or just give them some water after that one.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 20:12:07 pm »
I used to give James organic rice puffs that I bought from a local health food shop. They did not have anything added so I felt safe in adding them to his diet as I would know exactly what the problem was if he reacted to them. I am sure there must be a similar product in the US.

I hope it is just oats and not wheat aswell as that will be much easier for you. It gives much more choice.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline mommyoflogan

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 03:25:56 am »
If you can't find rice puffs, you might try plain rice cakes and break them into small pieces.  I was going to try that with my LO but we had a set back in his diet (he seems to be allergic to apples and pears).  Whenever we feed him something he's allergic to, it seems to take a few days for his system to "reset"!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 18:20:44 pm »
I was at the paediatric dietician last week with my DS and asked her the same thing.  Do you know what she said?  "Oh, well, just give him some chips."    :o   UK chips that is, which are french fries.  As my DH said, with disgust, "she did NOT say 'home made oven baked potato wedges,' she said CHIPS!"

We are struggling with the same thing here. Seaweed hadn't crossed my mind, but am excited at the thought (lived in Korea for 5 years and still didn't think of seaweed!).   

Could you try making some rice balls - roll it up with some chopped veggies. I think Annabel Karmel has a recipe although it might need to be adapted. Or rice bread that you could toast?   It's expensive, but freezes well and you wouldn't go through it very fast. And, tbh, I don't know if there is milk in it.

My mother was celiac and one thing she used to make were almond banana pancakes - basically grind the almonds into a flour, mix with mashed bananas to a consistency that is enough you can make it into a "patty" and fry.  She loved them. 

Offline knackered

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 12:20:56 pm »
Would cornflakes work for you? My DS loves them.

Mashimaro - those pancakes sound good - me and my DS are wheatfree. Would you add milk or anything?
xx
Anna x

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 17:18:50 pm »
My mom didn't because she was lactose intolerant as well! There was soooooo very little that she could eat that the only thing I can potentially see her having added to them was egg, but I'm picturing watching her make them and I am almost positive it was just the bananas and almond flour.  She topped them with honey sometimes but with younger children who can't eat honey yet I would even just serve them in small pieces to pick up!