Author Topic: Almost 3 year genuinely scared at night  (Read 841 times)

Offline sambsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 03, 2009, 02:31:09 am »
Not sure if anyone can help. My son is nearly 3 and for the past few months he's been frequently night waking and coming into our bedroom. When we return him to bed he says something along the lines of "stay here mummy or sprinkles will come". When I talk to him about the "sprinkles" he says their pink and blue sprinkles up on the roof and he is genuinely scared of them.
I went to him the other night and he was almost hysterical, hyperventilating and sobbing saying "sprinkles are scary" - I have absolutely NO idea what he's referring to - but he seems genuinely scared.

He loves his room, his bed and is an easy to bed/easy to sleep boy with a great night routine, he is just become a frequent night waker and this seems to be the issue when we return him to bed. I am not really interested in letting him sleep with us or in our room because he's always had his own room and when we've ever had to share a room (when staying at friends etc), I just don't sleep well as I wake every time he turns over or makes a noise!

Any ideas/suggestions?

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 494
Re: Almost 3 year genuinely scared at night
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:42:58 am »
Oh hugs.  This is normal at this age with imagination on high gear.  The good news is, it passes pretty quickly.  My DS was convinced there was a cow on his curtains moaning! Then it was monsters and then shadows. Now, he LOVES monsters and thinks they are so nice btw!

We talked about it and I also got him a flashlight to bring to bed and included it in the wind down. I also gave him a water spray bottle and told him to spray away with this special "Monster spray" and we made it a game in the day. It did pass.

Good idea not getting into letting him come to your room as that is showing him that his room isn't safe and that yours is, kwim?

Just go to his room and cuddle and and reassure him until the phase passes.

A x

Offline sambsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 01:42:07 am »
Thanks for support. I had someone suggest turning it into a fun game (like - what can you make the sprinkles do? - do they feel like butterflies when they touch your arm etc etc) trying to turn them into something enjoyable and special to have.
It's just such a long phase to be constantly being sleep interupted through! I hope it doesn't last long.
We had a friend of his come over this weekend and apparently this friend told by little boy that he had monsters in his room - so guess what we got last night!!! (some kids!!!). Anyhow - your monster spray is a great idea, but I'm concerned about validating it - I've told him monsters don't exist, I can't turn around now and give him something to get rid of them with or I'll be validating that monsters do exist????
Such a confusing age!
I guess we just keep working through it - a phase is a phase and i'll probably be laughing about this at his 21st!
:-) Thanks

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 12:36:13 pm »
You could always say that naughty, mean monsters don't exist. Other monsters that just bug us, will go away....  ????