Author Topic: settling with daddy  (Read 991 times)

Offline cathyseddigh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:19:52 am »
Does anyone know how to encourage a 6 month old to setttle with her daddy to sleep or when upset? She cries very loudly whenever daddy tries to help with evening/night time cries and lunges for her mum. Dad is often at work at bedtimes and has not been settling her during the night as he needs his sleep for work. Is there another way apart from leaving them to it for a few nights? Her dad is very good with her, tender, and they enjoy great play times together. Thanks...

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 03:35:59 am »
Can you do the night routine while daddy looks on for a few days? Then after those few days, maybe dad steps in to change the diaper, then mommy puts on the pajamas. Maybe Mommy reads the story while daddy holds her. I'm thinking that if daddy can become a real part of the routine, slowly....then she'd be more willing to "allow" mommy to pull back a little.

Offline Bella28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: settling with daddy
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 16:57:42 pm »
Good luck with this one! My DD (5mos) does the same with her daddy and with anyone else that tries to put her down for bedtime. Daddy can bath her and feed her but NOT settle her for sleep! I too will try to involve Daddy more and maybe get him to put her down for naps on weekends when he's not working. 

Keep us posted on your progress and best of luck!

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Re: settling with daddy
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 18:39:52 pm »
 Hi there,

My LO is only 12 weeks and starting this screaming when dh puts him down. I have resorted to just leaving the house. I know it sounds harsh but i have jumped in so many times to rescue the situation that I know I will end up with a real issue if I don't resolve it now. When bedtime comes I say night night and i pop over to my friends for an hour and I also ensure that he does the majority of settling for naps at weekends ( its heaven!!!!).

It does seem to be working, i think that dh relaxes a bit knowing i'm not there and he knows he can't fall back on me when he cries. The bad bit is that i'm going to miss that hour of chat and a cheeky glass of red.  ;D