Author Topic: Introducing milk--outgrowing milk protein allergy?  (Read 2391 times)

Offline SNathan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Introducing milk--outgrowing milk protein allergy?
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:24:49 am »
My son is 1 year old.  He was diagnosed with milk protein allergy at 3 months due to blood in the stool. The DR said at one year we can try cow's milk and see if he outgrows it.  So now we are gradually trying it.  We started with 2 oz. milk to 4 oz. nutramigen.  Now we are at 3 oz. milk & 3 oz. nutramigen.  So far no blood, but he is very fussy.  However, he is also teething.   Any tips on how to tell if the fussiness is teething or allergy?  Is there a common length of time after drinking the milk that the irritation would occur--say within 1 hour, or 4 hours, etc?

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
Re: Introducing milk--outgrowing milk protein allergy?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:31:49 am »
Hmmmm...not sure ow to tell if it's teeth or not. When we started my dd on cow's milk, we did what you are doing, and made the switch very gradually, 1/2 ounce at a time. We'd wait about 10 days before adding more. 

How long did you wait before adding more milk? When you began, you did 2 oz milk to 4 oz nutramigen...how long did you stay at that ratio and look for signs?   When you went to 3:3, did the fussiness start right away?? Like the same day?

If he was ok with 2 oz milk and 4 oz formula, then maybe go back to that ratio until the teething is past??  If he still fusses at that ratio and he didn't fuss before, then we could bet it's teeth, right??   :-\

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 13:26:41 pm »
To be honest I would stop the milk and wait until you know that your lo is not teething, as like you have mentioned you can't tell of the recent fussiness is due to teething or because she is reacting to the milk.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline hemz80

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Hema - Mummy to three gorgeous babies
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 20:59:24 pm »
I agree with Jimbob.. until you're sure the teething has stopped and if you can - keep a diary when you re-start.  We're in the midst of re-introducing dairy to our ds and i'm really sensitive to any kind of upset... constantly wondering if it's the dairy or something else.  I just decided today to keep a diary for the next couple of weeks so i can look at it in detail and show my Gp.