Author Topic: How much cuddle/interactive time vs independent play for a 6 month old?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline emmanoellesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0

I read that Tracy recommends 15-20 mins of independent play during activity time. Did she mean each activity time? If so, is it healthy to spend the rest of the time interacting...reading, cuddling, dancing etc...

I am just trying to find the balance between helping Emma to feel comfortable enough to play on her own but also giving her lots of love and attention.

Also, Emma likes to know that we are in her sight during her independent play most of the time, she is more content to jolly jump, or play in her exercoser if we are in sight to clap, talk to her or cheer her on. Just wondering if this is o.k. and not hindering her from playing just on her own?

Last one, if we have made mistakes in this area so far i.e. hovered too much or tried to have her play  independently too much is it too late to still help her to build the confidence and trust she needs to play on on her own.

Thanks for answering,

Leslie

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
I am not sure either what amount of independent play time is recommended for a 6 month old. My DD, Ava, is that age and I have just followed her cues with how much alone time she can handle. She used to want us to be around almost all the time but as she has gotten older we have allowed her to have more independent time. We have started putting her in her Pack N' Play with toys and she does well entertaining herself for a good 15-20 mins, which is great because I can get dishes and other things done! She started to do this herself now. When she wakes in her crib she coos and plays and is okay being alone for awhile so we don't rush in and get her. She stopped fussing and crying right away like she used to when she wanted us to come and get her right away.

I think it would be great to start doing things out of her sight, like letting her have some time to play in her crib or jumper or whatever without her being able to see you. She might get nervous at first, but you can pop in and smile and then keep about your business and keep doing that so she knows you aren't "leaving" her and that she is okay for a bit and you'll be back. It's probably a good thing for when she gets a bit older, you know?

At least that's kind of what I think. :)

Offline emmanoellesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
That seems to be what Emma is doing too! I can leave her in her crib in the am with some toys for about 15 or so mins and then in her exercoser, our house is small so we are usually in the same place. Today I ate my breakfast while she played and couldn't see me and that seemed to go well too. Later in her AT is when she seems to get fusser or need a little more cuddling, I guess as she gets more tired. I now that it is important for their independence to encourage this and want to make sure I am finding the right balance.
Thanks for your input.
Les

Offline ~*Nicole*~

I think sometimes they even get fussy b/c they grow bored and need new sights and sounds to stimulate them. Or sometimes they're getting too much stimulation and they need something more mellow. I think you're doing a fabulous job!

My lo is trying to grab at the laptop keyboard so I am probably going to go for now.

Keep in touch. It's nice to have someone to talk to with a lo the same age as mine!

Offline emmanoellesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Cute picture of Ava! I agree with the bored and fussy. Today I took Emma out to a few social places, she seems to love people and even though we went way past her nap time she fell asleep in the car for 2 hours while I drove around. I think she loved seeing new faces and places, especially in places that there is not too much going on. I will keep in touch, it is so nice to have someone to talk to that is at the same baby age?
Les
p.s. In case I miss you on the site and if you have anything you need to chat about my e-mail is lesr@sympatico.ca

Offline ~*Nicole*~

Thank you!

Mine is nicole.buttery@gmail.com

:)