Poll

What age was your dc when he/she transitioned from 2 to 1 naps?

less than 10 months
9 (16.1%)
10-12 months
16 (28.6%)
12-16 months
22 (39.3%)
more than 16 months
9 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: March 17, 2004, 15:23:43 pm

Author Topic: 2 to 1... how, what, when....  (Read 14703 times)

Offline Keren

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2005, 10:08:33 am »
Thanks Carrie

He never naps great anyway (usually 30mins in the afternoon) so there aren't any great naps to go back to. But I will be pleased when he stops fighting me for it. I was thinking it was developmental so thanks for the backup. I will hang in there. His cues are so hard too. He doesn't give any strong ones, just gets crankier and crankier so I never know if it is boredom cranky or tired cranky and watching the clock doesn't work all the time either. He loves keeping mum on his toes  :lol: .

Cheers
Keren

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
2 to 1... how, what, when....
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2005, 03:37:38 am »
Hi Ladies - don't know if anyone is still out there.

We were on a set nap schedule of 9.30 and 2.30 and that gave us A times of approx 2.5-2.75 in the morning, 3.0-3.25 in the afternoon and 3.25 before bed.  Doing really well, nice long naps.

Our LO has started doing her 45min naps AGAIN (both am and pm) and is cranky/crying when she gets up.  She is a reformed 45min napper and this is what she has does in the past when she wants to drop a nap (4 to 3, 3 to 2, etc).

I increased A times yesterday - nap times of 10am and 2.30 w/ bed at 7ish.

She improved - naps of 1.25hr for am and 1hr for pm. But today we are right back to 45min naps.

Should I keep increasing A time - but how do i protect a decent bed time.

Or is it time to think seriously about moving to 1 nap?  But i am not ready!!

Thanks in advance

Offline Keren

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2005, 09:46:06 am »
Hi Michelle

I tried the one nap today. Yuck! I decided to follow his tired signs and he didn't get tired until 11am (4.75hrs awake!). He went straight to sleep but woke after 1hr 10mins happy! Which meant that the afternoon nap would've been due at 4:30pm. Too late for a 7pm bed. I went for a walk at 4:30 thinking he may have a 10min nap but he didn't even rub his eyes. But come 6pm he is cranky and crying so I put him down early.

I know what you mean about protecting bedtime. Can you wake Meg after 30mins on the first nap? Would she then sleep longer for the second? Does she still go down well for the naps or is she starting to fuss?

Josh is begins to fuss when I read him the book he knows is the nap book, so I am starting to think he is going to nap refuse very shortly.

I don't know if I did the right thing today. I guess tomorrow morning will tell  :lol: .

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
2 to 1... how, what, when....
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2005, 17:16:59 pm »
Hi Keren

Well what ever our problem was is gone (for now).  She is napping very well again.  Yesterday we had naps of 1.5 and 1.75 w/ very short awake times - was just plan tired and slept 13hrs last night!!

Overall naps have been good all week - 1hr to 1.30hr w/ A times of 3.5 in between and she is happy so i am not going to mess w/ that  :D .

She never refuses to nap - her version of refusal is a 45min nap.

I hope Josh's night went well.  What is your plan for today?  If i was you, i would try the short am nap for at least a week and see what that does to pm nap.  He just doesn't like he is ready for 1 nap yet.  What do you think?

Offline Keren

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2005, 21:18:09 pm »
Michelle

His night was ok. Woke after 1hr crying but I got him back to sleep easily. He woke at 6am happy which is his normal time. I agree with you. I don't think he is quite ready. His afternoon yesterday was grumpy so even though he woke happy from the nap I don't think it was long enough. So I am going back to two naps going down at 10am and 3pm and I will stay at that until he nap refuses or shortens both of them. Also if he needs to I will extend his bedtime to 7:30pm (but no longer!!! That is my "Y" time for the day  :lol: ).

I am pleased that Meg has done some good naps for you. Like I said on the other thread, I don't think it will be too long though before we are truly transitioning. :D

I will keep an eye out for you  :lol:

Cheers
Keren

Offline Mystic

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2005, 14:54:21 pm »
Hello everyone.  I am new to the group, just joined today.  I have been reading alot of your post and am in still unsure what to do with with naps for my 17 month old son.

He now only goes down for one nap and thats his morning nap.  He wakes at about 6:30am and goes back down at 10:00am for nap.  He is up by 11:00am or on a really rare day he might sleep till 11:30.  When I try to extend his awake time he becomes overtired and can not stay asleep for his nap.  No matter what time his morning nap is he will not sleep for a second nap at all.

I put him down for the night at 6:00pm.  It never takes long for him to go to sleep but he will fight me when I tell him its time to go night night.  He is always tired way before bed time.  I want to try to move his bed time back later.  When he were having two naps his bed time was 8:00pm.  I do know that he gets tired and is ready for bed 5 hours after his last nap.  When we had two naps he would not go to sleep until 5 hours after his second nap.

Through the night he wakes alot.  He will go right back to sleep but sometimes he wakes and has a hard time going back to sleep.  It seems he is to tired to fall back asleep.  He seems to wake at about 4:00 or 5:00am on some days but then goes back to sleep at 6:00am and wake at 7:00am.

I am not forsure what to do anymore.  Any ideas?  I woud really appreciate any help. 

Thanks,
Christi (mom to 17 month old)