Author Topic: Help With Gas/Bowel Movements on Nutramigen  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Lindy Loo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • DS Jun 2005, DD Dec 2008
Help With Gas/Bowel Movements on Nutramigen
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:24:02 am »
Hi there

My 12 week old DD was put on Nutramigen 1 on Friday after passing blood in her poo.

On Nutramigen she seemed happier at first but has reverted to the back arching etc.  She is extremely windy on it and makes horrific noises and smells now when doing a poo however when you go to change her there isn't much there.  It is pale green for her, more frequent (though still prob only 3 times a day compared to once a day on old formula) and the consistency is a bit like Fromage Frais ... sort of thick and foamy without being hard.

Due to see the paediatrician next week hopefully as not sure if she has reflux too or if Nutramigen is not right for her  ::)

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Help With Gas/Bowel Movements on Nutramigen
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 19:47:50 pm »
It sounds to me like your lo could be reacting to the nutramigen. It is possible that your dd may need an elemental formula like neocate. It also could be that your dd needs a little more time to adjust to the nutramigen.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline mommyoflogan

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Help With Gas/Bowel Movements on Nutramigen
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 20:59:09 pm »
My ds is has been on Nutramigen AA (the elemental form of Nutramigen) now for about 3 months and is also having a hard time with it.  At first things were much better, but over the past few weeks we've been dealing with constipation and gas.  Our dietitian suggested trying another elemental formula.  So we are switching to Elecare, and if that doesn't work, we'll be going to Neocate.  She also said that for some reason some kids have to switch back and forth every couple of months.  It's like their bodies build up an immunity to the formula they're on and so you have to switch for a while.  Sounds strange to me, but we're giving it a try.  Good luck and let me know how it goes!